Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2010, 03:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DEWEY Quote
Does anyone have experience <$1,000 rangefinders?

If you are thinking old, there is the Canon RF system that is excellent (Look at my signature!) The Canon P is very nicely build.
If you want only a backup for less frequent use, the FED is quite nice but you have to get it CLA even if purchased from an eBay vendor that says that it has been Done.

Cheers,

Luc

09-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #17
Inactive Account

buy from Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com

it rocks when it comes to buying used gear. I bought an entire 645 setup for about $250, and a 67 outfit is about $500
09-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
If you are thinking old, there is the Canon RF system that is excellent (Look at my signature!) The Canon P is very nicely build.
If you want only a backup for less frequent use, the FED is quite nice but you have to get it CLA even if purchased from an eBay vendor that says that it has been Done.

Cheers,

Luc
Luc,
All the rangefinder talk is a total hijack, but I was wondering who you got to do a CLA on the FED? I don't know anyone in my area that will touch a FSU camera.

Steve
09-17-2010, 08:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Luc,
All the rangefinder talk is a total hijack, but I was wondering who you got to do a CLA on the FED? I don't know anyone in my area that will touch a FSU camera.
Steve

Hello Steve,

I have not sent my FED for a CLA yet. In fact I am thinking about selling it with the Jupiter lenses OR sending it for CLA. Don't get me wrong it works as it is supposed to but after been spoiled by LX and P it is not quite there unless it has a CLA.

From the RF forum I have gathered this:
Fedka.com

and highly recommended:

Edward Smolov
1660 E.21str. #3D
Brooklyn, NY 11210
123camerarepair@gmail.com
Tel: 347 922-7275 or 718 541-0952

and of course send it to Russia
OK Photocameras

Sorry for the hijack but it makes sense to have a SLR or a RF as a backup so it is somewhat loosely on topic. That is what happend to me when I went to Tofino for "the" week of taking picture of the year and my 500CM crapped on me, I was so very happy to have the LX as a backup...

Cheers,

Luc

09-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

That having been said I wouldn't mind a second more portable option that was dedicated to street/handheld. Does anyone have experience <$1,000 rangefinders? I don't think I've read about any Pentax rangefinders, and the only other ones I've come across are Leicas obviously more than $1,000.
I realize you said portable, but compared to an MF SLR an MF RF is still pretty portable, so you should maybe look at that. I don't have any experience with any though.

For really portable rangefinders I would suggest getting several cheap (like $10) fixed lens consumer rangefinders from the 70s. Some of them have perfecly good optics, and they are very portable indeed. (The ones with known good lenses are a bit more expensive usually, but still cheap. Buying several is probably the easiest way to get one that works properly.)
09-17-2010, 10:39 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Sorry for the hijack...
Thanks for the references.

Steve
09-18-2010, 07:50 AM   #22
Veteran Member

When you say RF are you talking about 35mm or MF? Cuz if you want MF rangefinder for less than $1000, then I gotta say "Mamiya 7".

Oh yeah, just so people know, Eddy Smolov is no longer repairing cameras. He just retired this year. In fact, he has two of my cameras since April, one of which is said to have been fixed, but so far I haven't gotten them back (nor my money).
09-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
When you say RF are you talking about 35mm or MF? Cuz if you want MF rangefinder for less than $1000, then I gotta say "Mamiya 7".

Oh yeah, just so people know, Eddy Smolov is no longer repairing cameras. He just retired this year. In fact, he has two of my cameras since April, one of which is said to have been fixed, but so far I haven't gotten them back (nor my money).
Good to know - thanks.

I think the OP was talking 35mm RF as a light backup system to carry around with MF. I have never handled one of the Fuji RF MF like a 6x9 but I think that they are pretty hefty in comparison? The GSW690II looks attractive as a landscape camera if weight and size are limited.

Cheers,

Luc

09-18-2010, 08:15 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Good to know - thanks.

I think the OP was talking 35mm RF as a light backup system to carry around with MF. I have never handled one of the Fuji RF MF like a 6x9 but I think that they are pretty hefty in comparison? The GSW690II looks attractive as a landscape camera if weight and size are limited.

Cheers,

Luc
I agree, for fixed focal length, landscape photography, the Fuji rangefinder are very lustworthy. They just announced a new 670:

Fujifilm GF670W Professional | PhotographyBLOG

Which might be really nice. Apparently it's a Cosina/Voigtlander OEM.
09-18-2010, 08:59 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Luc,

Steve
I get CLA but what is FED and FSU stand for? I really am glad I signed up for these forums. I am learning a ton from everyone here. Makes me wish I was made of money. So many of these options sound fantastic.
09-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I get CLA but what is FED and FSU stand for? I really am glad I signed up for these forums. I am learning a ton from everyone here. Makes me wish I was made of money. So many of these options sound fantastic.
FED is a model name of a RF camera. FSU = Former Soviet Union.
09-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #27

Original Poster
Ohhhhh, I thought RFs were only 35mm. I didn't even know they came in MF. I have so much to learn. I just saw a Mamiya 6 on eBay and I've seen a couple Mamiya 7IIs elsewhere. Maybe a bit out of my price range at $2k (what I saw) but also maybe not. Part of me is tempted to get a few different types of cameras (or at least two to complement my DSLR) but really it's probably smarter to buy more slowly (i.e. one at a time) and buy nicer equipment as I go. In short, I'd probably prefer MF rangefinder but I've never shot MF, only read about it, so maybe I'm overestimating its awesomeness.
09-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Ohhhhh, I thought RFs were only 35mm. I didn't even know they came in MF. I have so much to learn. I just saw a Mamiya 6 on eBay and I've seen a couple Mamiya 7IIs elsewhere. Maybe a bit out of my price range at $2k (what I saw) but also maybe not. Part of me is tempted to get a few different types of cameras (or at least two to complement my DSLR) but really it's probably smarter to buy more slowly (i.e. one at a time) and buy nicer equipment as I go. In short, I'd probably prefer MF rangefinder but I've never shot MF, only read about it, so maybe I'm overestimating its awesomeness.
This is exactly why I suggested to buy a very inexpensive TLR in the first place. Just to get a sense of what MF (arguably only a portion) is about including development. Then it should make the next decision a little bit easier.........maybe because I still like both my 645 and 500 systems even if I know that I don't really need both (and all the 645 lenses!) and do not have the ability to use them often enough.

The day you will see a MF negative properly exposed and developed, clean of dust and either printed right or scanned right - you will know about MF awesomeness...

Cheers,

Luc
09-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Ohhhhh, I thought RFs were only 35mm...
Rangefinders go all the way up to 4x5 press cameras. The medium format variety are pretty cool.

Steve
09-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #30
Site Supporter

FED is a model name of a RF camera...
...and reputedly the initials of the former head of the Soviet secret police. The factory was associated with a prison and rumor is that the cameras were built by incarcerated criminals and enemies of the state!

Steve