Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 01:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K7 and the 75mm Leaf Shutter Lens

Does anyone know if the K7 or any Pentax DSLR can work with the leaf shutter function on this lens?

EDIT: Damn, must be pretty tired to put this in the wrong forum. Please move this to the lens forum...

Last edited by HawaiianOnline; 09-20-2010 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Did not want to double post
09-20-2010, 05:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Not sure which lens you're talking about. I use a leaf shutter lens on my K20D, an old Zeiss Tessar 80/2.8 salvaged from a wrecked Ikonta 6x6cm folder. The lens has an M39 thread. I use adapters to stick it on bellows for general and macro shooting. I have a short shutter cable with a locking screw. I set the leaf shutter to B(ulb) and lock the cable down to keep the shutter open. I suppose I could file-down a screw to do the same thing. With the leaf shutter locked open, the Tessar acts like just another enlarger lens, except for not being flat-field.

Don't know how you've mounted the lens on your K7. Do you use bellows or tubes, or has it been modded with a PK mount? I find that enlarger lenses and salvaged MF lenses under 80mm won't reach infinity focus wiith either my M42 or PK bellows, although 75's and shorter do fine for macro shooting. Berhaps you could describe your setup a bit more.
09-20-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It depends on many factors.

Assuming that the lens can be made to focus with the regestration distance for the pentax SLRS then you need to address a few things.

1) are you going to use th epentax shutter in the body or the leaf shutter?

2) does the shutter have functions other than timed openings and bulb, some had one trip to open and another to close this makes things easier, as you do not need to lock it in bulb mode to focus,.

Assuming you are using the camera shutter, lock the leaf shutter open some how, and use the lens just like an M42 lens.

If you want th use the leaf shutter (specifically for things like 1/500th flash sync) then you would need to do two things, first, lock the shutter open to focus, and then close the shutter, put the camera in bulb, open the shutter and then trip the leaf shutter as you wish
09-20-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For the record, I am talking about the SMC Pentax 645 LS 75 f2.8 lens so it should at least mount to the K7 using the normal adapter. More importantly, it should focus to infinity normally. What I want to know about is if anyone has used the leaf shutter on this lens with any Pentax DSLR, especially the K7? I am interested in the 1/500 flash sync.

09-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guessed right? Want HSS ?

I have not used any of the 6x7 lenses, but I guess the questions are?

Can the adaptor allow the shutter to operate, or does the adaptor require the shutter to be open so you can use it on a DSLR. If the shutter can work independantly, then if you follow my step by step you should be OK. Note you will need to set the flash manually or use auto mode for exposure, AND lock the shutter open on the DSLR when shooting. Nothing on this will be automatic, so you are looking at a manual shot on a tripod all the way.

Lens should have sync contacts on it, for your flash.

edit note

try the Medium Format Forum, they might know more about the lens and 6x7 to K adaptor