Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
Inactive Account

645n film advance noise

Does anyone know if the film advance is quieter on a 645nII. I have a 645n and find it noisy and was wondering if the newer one was quieter. Any info appreciated.
I have dubbed my 645n..."the lawnmower"

09-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by khaki8 Quote
Does anyone know if the film advance is quieter on a 645nII. I have a 645n and find it noisy and was wondering if the newer one was quieter. Any info appreciated.
I have dubbed my 645n..."the lawnmower"
Well, these things are all quite relative: exactly what volume level you're talking about could be the difference between worn and screamey gears and something fresher or just how it sounds, but what do you want from a winder-driven 645, anyway?

It's all kind of relative, basically: rarely have my cameras of choice been exactly known for quiet shutters and mirrors, so I've never been picky, myself: I guess the first question is, does it sound like anything's wrong, or is it just a big mirror flapping? One thing that can sometimes help, though I forget if you can do this with a 645, is just to set the winder for single-frame advance, and if you're in a place where sound carries embarrasingly, you fire and hold the shutter, then lower the camera and (don't laugh too hard) hold the camera right down against your thigh/bum and then let go of the shutter to let the film advance. The sound carries a lot less that way, something I found useful at like church weddings and the like.

Of course, one of the reasons I *like* winders is *cause* they're kinda loud. You get your shot, people hear that sound, and if you stay on your subject there's almost *always* a very unguarded moment where they *relax* and then you get the 'real' shot. I know you need quiet sometimes, but also, sometimes, the louder the better. Which doesn't *really* answer your question, that, but if your camera's *loud,* *use that.*

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 09-23-2010 at 08:32 PM.
09-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They are mecahnically exactly the same camera. Same noise...