Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #1

I'm concerned about glasses

I don't have my 6X7 back from Eric's yet but I have a couple more questions. Does a 6X7 have a split screen focus? I'm concerned about focusing with my camera with my old Eye sight. I have a set of cheaters for reading, a different set for my computer but me distance eyesight is just OK. Is there a test to figure out which glasses to wear or do you know which ones I should use? I have done some reading and have read about corrective lenses for the eyepiece on the camera. Were are they purchased from? Or don't I need anything at all?

09-24-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a focusing screen for the 6x7 called the "Focusing Screen BB-61 for Pentax 67II". It seems that BH no longer carries it (Pentax Focusing Screen BA-61 (Standard) Microprism/Matte 38003 -), so you'll either have to get it from Japan, or look around on the used market.

Almost all the 6x7 viewfinders have diopter correction. See here for a list of Pentax 6x7 viewfinders, as well as specifications and diagrams: Pentax 6x7 Viewfinders - Pentax Accessory Review Database - Flashes, Grips, Camera Bags

Most of the diopters are fairly weak, unfortunately.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-24-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbander Quote
I don't have my 6X7 back from Eric's yet but I have a couple more questions. Does a 6X7 have a split screen focus? I'm concerned about focusing with my camera with my old Eye sight. I have a set of cheaters for reading, a different set for my computer but me distance eyesight is just OK. Is there a test to figure out which glasses to wear or do you know which ones I should use? I have done some reading and have read about corrective lenses for the eyepiece on the camera. Were are they purchased from? Or don't I need anything at all?
You might try looking for some Beattie Intenscreens for your 6x7, brightness enhanced screens would aid greatly in focusing and possibly a 2x right angle magnifier. Having a penta prism viewfinder is very convenient but with a waist level finder, you can compose and near focus the image then drop in a fairly high magnification loupe for the critical focusing.

Thanks,
09-24-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

As excanonfd says, the folding hood has a flip up magnifying glass. Much easier to focus critically with that. I prefer it to the prism by far but I do mostly landscape type shots where it's more suited. It doesn't cost much and is worth a try.

10-01-2010, 12:21 PM - 2 Likes   #5

jbander,

if your 6x7 has the prism finder then there is no built-in diopter adjustment. But there is on the "chimney" finder if you can get one - this finder also has the advantage of letting you see 100% of the focussing screen as opposed to 90%, with the prism.

For all models (except the 67ll) changing the focussing screen can only be done by a Service Centre. The standard screen is, usually, micro-prism rather than split-screen focussing.

There is a simple answer to your eyesight problem. Unscrew the diopter lens, from the back of the prism, and remove it from it's holder. Then take it to your Optician and ask him to cut a lens to the same shape and size, using your prescription.

This is an easy job for the modern 1-hour spectacle shops who cut lenses to all sorts of shapes to fit frames, these days.
10-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #6

Of course, if you are short sighted then the existing diopter lens may suit you, anyway, so give it a try before you buy a new one.
10-06-2010, 07:19 AM   #7

A Beattie screen with a split image will transform the viewing and focusing, there is a company called Morco in the UK who supply screens, and best to get a technician to fit it as its quite fiddly. As for the diopter, Im using a viewfinder diopter +.05 made by Nikon that is meant for a Nikon F100 film camera, it seems to fit my penatx 67 nicely, the thread and glass are the same size as the 67.
10-06-2010, 07:36 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sinarman Quote
jbander,

For all models (except the 67ll) changing the focussing screen can only be done by a Service Centre. The standard screen is, usually, micro-prism rather than split-screen focussing.
Not true. I changed mine in my 6x7. Obviously, you need to know how to use tools. To get the front guide studs off that act as both a fastener and a pin, it's easy to make a special spanning tool if you have other tools. Other than that, you only need a jeweler's screw driver set. Just be cautious of the very small brass shims that you'll encounter under the bezel common to the guide pins.

10-06-2010, 08:44 AM   #9

67 screen

Of course it is possible to fit a "Beattie" screen yourself but its fiddly and you have to be mighty careful to get the screen sitting properly and on the correct plain other wise your focus could be slightly out which kind of defeats the purpose. A Pentax technician fitted mine for 40 which is peanuts.
10-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The focus screen on a 67 is spring loaded and pressed into only one position against the body. No adjustments are given and none should be needed, IIRC.
10-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #11

Thanks for clearing that up, Tuco.

It just goes to show you can't believe everything you read on the Web!