Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #1

Question about a Wein wp500b

I know how to use the meter but how do you set the speed, what speed do you use? I'm shooting a Pentax 6X7 and the x speed on the speed adjuster is 1/30. The instructions on the flash meter say that speed is 250 so I'm lost I have a Wein wp500b. Thank you folks.

10-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

You are saying the flash meter is set for a flash sync shutter speed of 1/250 and you are worried that the 67 at 1/30 is different?

I just took a quick look at the manual online and didn't see any reference to flash sync shutter speed. But, really, the only thing you need to worry about is if that 1/30 of the 67 is sucking in ambient light in excess of the flash (which I doubt).

That is, in a situation where the flash dominates the ambient light by a lot, it doesn't matter if the meter's flash sync is different than the camera. Flashes are in the order of 1/3000 of a shutter speed. And at 1/250 it may ensure that the unit is not taking ambient into account in its reading much which is probably a good thing. But if you want to include ambient with the flash, use the cameras meter to see how much your getting relative to flash and if that speed is too slow and will capture possible blur; otherwise, it's time for a leaf shutter lens.
10-07-2010, 04:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
I guess I'm getting the jest. I'm new to 6X7 so I am using the camera shutter first to see the results, I have a 90 -2.8 so I have the lens shutter but I'm learning the ropes on the 6x7 so I'll try the camera shutter first.
What your saying is my flash x on my camera is 1/30 but I could use any speed slower then the flash speed, I'm just thought that at 1/30 I would get ambient light enough to get a fuzzy print.
10-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Congrats on the new camera.

Are you saying your 90mm is a leaf shutter? 1/30 is the fastest shutter speed the camera body can do. You have the option of shooting at a slower shutter speed too.