Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Tin Cheung Camera Co-Hong Kong

I was just browsing through Tin Cheung's site and noticed that there were many new lenses listed for the 67. Has anyone ever dealt with them? Prices fair? Are they legit/safe to order from?

10-13-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They are reputable, sort of. I shopped there b4 when I was in HK. The thing is their prices vary a lot based on opportunities, and sometimes they sold grey market as locally distributed. They stand behind their grey market warranty afaik. They are not like some NYC scammers, but they aren't 100% honest either. I doubt their website is up-to-date though as there are many discontinued stuffs which are way overpriced.
10-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I tried to order a lens from there once. I finally got a reply saying the lens was not in stock. I tried yet another hard to find 67 lens in the US and yet again they said not in stock and in each case didn't know when one would be available. Then they took the M* 300mm and the 75mm AL lenses off their web site. I haven't be back to see recently. So ask before you order.
10-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #4

Steve,
If they have what you're looking for they are reputable. I was fortunate enough to get one of the last new 67 M* 300/4 ED IF from them at a very fair price. They shipped promptly, and the transaction was hassle free. That said, they often list items on the website that are not in stock. If you want to purchase from them, email first to check availability and the current price. I would not hesitate to order from them again.

Scott

10-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfotog Quote
Steve,
...I was fortunate enough to get one of the last new 67 M* 300/4 ED IF from them at a very fair price.

Scott
Oh, so you're the one. I did find one from Japan Exposures though.
10-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #6

That was me ;~) Wasn't able to snag a 75/2.8 AL though. I tried a number of times, but it wasn't to be.
10-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks guys- I was fishing for the 300 ED from Hong Kong; my 300 Takumar has got to go after many years. The HK $ is at 7.76 to 1 USD, so the price for the new 300ED is a bit more than I can pay. Should probably just wait for a used one and go that route.

Steve

10-14-2010, 11:58 PM   #8
Forum Member

I lived in Hong Kong for many years, and Tin Cheung was one of my periodic stopping places. They originally started as a used equipment store that gradually took on select lines, tending towards the high end, and often rather exotic or hard to get equipment. On the second floor, they still maintain an extensive collection of really interesting, but expensive, used equipment - a lot of pieces collectors would be interested in.

Tin Cheung is a Hong Kong shop, meaning that it is best to go there in person with cash and bargin for the best price. I have never tried this over the phone but it is probably possible to achieve some price relief, especially if you can get the line passed to a salesperson.

Their web site is not up to date, in particular, the Pentax MF listings. In general, there are items listed that are not in stock, and there are items in stock that are not listed. Sometimes they can get pieces on short notice that are not in stock from other stores or suppliers in HK. It is best to call them and find out if the item you are looking foir is available.

Tin Cheung has been around for quite some time and is completely reliable. I have had many dealings with them mostly for Nikon, Pentax, Voigtlander and Zeiss equipment. Their prices are not the lowest, as they are in Tim Sha Tsui, but they are reliable.

Best, Alan
10-15-2010, 02:20 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
I live in HK and do some shopping (in person) from Tin Cheung. I recently (within the past six months) bought a Sigma EF 350 flashgun and a sigma 18-250mm OS from them. In both instances the price listed on the website is about 10-20% higher than the price I paid. As has been said the website is not updated and especially for Pentax products. It's best to call and check if the item you want is in stock and ask for the actual price before you order.