Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 09:11 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by harklee Quote
I tried changing the title last night, didn't know how. Just figured that I need to press 'edit' button twice to get there. So hopefully this thread will serve general purposes. : )
I'm not sure how to either. Maybe an admin will come in a give some help. You could start a new thread showing us your work on this camera where the gloves are off. And use this thread for the more raw camera results, for example.

10-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #17
D W
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ARCASIA Quote
Hi,

I should add that the introduction of the 645D presents the first real MF digital alternative to us Pentax users, many of whom have been scanning MF film for years. The possibility of having MF capability in a digital format is very enticing indeed, especially with real time feedback on shots taken, and the elimination of scanning film. But it comes at a hefty price - money that can be used on so much other gear, if it is to be spent that way. Personally, I am delighted to see so all of these 645D photos showing up in this forum. It provides a chance to see the results of the camera in action taking "real-life" photos. The more the better, as it is only by examining many shots taken in many situations that one can get a true understanding of a camera's capability.

Best, Alan
One roll of 120 film + processing is around $25. Break-even point before accounting for time scanning and the cost of time and mileage going back and forth to the lab is 400 rolls which for working pros is less than one year's worth.
10-20-2010, 05:46 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D W Quote
One roll of 120 film + processing is around $25...
Unless you are shooting negatives, then the cost is about $8-$10 exclusive of scanning. Still, though, your point is well taken. For a working pro, the cost of a camera like the 645D may be amortized in a relatively short period of time when the time for scanning and scanners is factored in. I remember taking part in a conversation with a retired pro a few months back where he stated that his former shop purchased several digital Mamiya setups that paid for themselves 6 or 7 times over in the first year.

Steve
10-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Unless you are shooting negatives, then the cost is about $8-$10 exclusive of scanning. Still, though, your point is well taken. For a working pro, the cost of a camera like the 645D may be amortized in a relatively short period of time when the time for scanning and scanners is factored in. I remember taking part in a conversation with a retired pro a few months back where he stated that his former shop purchased several digital Mamiya setups that paid for themselves 6 or 7 times over in the first year.

Steve
It puts people out of work! On a more serious note, on the Hasseblad's site they had a photographer claiming break-even for him was faster than just the cost of film and effort. His business was successful enough to have hired an assistant that ran the film/prints back and forth to the lab. And of course with his digital Hasselblad, he now no longer needs an assistant thereby covering the cost of the camera that much faster.

10-21-2010, 01:09 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi harklee,
4 and 9 are just stunningly beautiful. Did you add any lighting to nr. 9 ? Thanks for taking the time, showing your work