Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2010, 04:03 PM   #46
Veteran Member

the dxo score for iso performance is simoply amazing....the phase one 40+ beat the pentax 1360 against 1260...BUT...the phase one reach high iso just in cropped mode of 10 million pixel, pentax do it with 40 million!!!
i played with some high iso and after resizing and usng a little of depaz the 24 million produced were similar to the penatx k7 file at iso 400. im sure if you resize at 12 million you have a performance similar to d700.

10-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfotog Quote
The M* 800mm has a dedicated 1.4x converter, the T5-1.4x, but not a dedicated 2x.
I stand corrected. I admit, I rarely use teleconverters so I'm not entirely familiar with the pentax's set up in regards to them. However I have used the A
1.4X 645 series teleconverter in conjunction with a borrowed 67>645 adapter with surprising success with the M*800mm f/6.7

QuoteOriginally posted by D W Quote
400/4EDIF (Digitalis: if you can find your this is a great combo, very rare on used market)
I just consulted the family lens collection listing, and it turns out we might still have one. If it hasn't been sold off in our attempt to down size the collection.

P.S I do recall borrowing a 67 to 35mm lens adapter for use on my K10D a few years ago and I did use the 800mm f/6.7 on it for some wildlife work. I'll post a 100% crop from the experiment.

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-29-2011 at 05:18 AM.
10-23-2010, 08:00 PM   #48
Inactive Account

645D Quality

I bought a 645D in Japan mid September. I have shot over 1,000 photos with it. The color recording is accurate and can be changed as it can with the K7; the mirror control (slap) is similar to the K7 (soft) and does not vibrate the camera. The results are very sharp at 100% when handled properly. Pentax lenses are heads-up with Hasselblad, who is better depends on the focal length and f-stop; unless Leica lenses are better than Hasselblad, then then the same applies. The DxO tests for the Pentax 645D and Leaf are pretty much equal. The Leaf under exposes by 1 f-stop where as the pentax is dead on. ISO 400 on the Leaf is ISO 200 on the Pentax.
10-24-2010, 01:28 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DNScott548 Quote
unless Leica lenses are better than Hasselblad
Hasselblad lenses are made by fuji these days, the EBC coating on them is a dead give-away. The difference between good lenses and better are so small in the medium format arena that you would be splitting atoms over which lens yields superior results.

10-24-2010, 02:01 AM   #50
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
For those who read their site, they're basically Leica users BUT from the samples i see here from users this particular statement from their brief use at Photokina has me shaking my head, i've always respected their knowledge but this just doesn't seem at all very unbiased?
I wouldn't be too concerned with just one reviewer's opinion, especially if they are clearly connected to Leica S2 system.
10-24-2010, 06:20 AM   #51

Digitalis

Are you sure about the hasselblad manufacturer? I know the camera is made by Fuji. But I beleive the lenses are Zeiss.

On a different note: DNScott548: I'm over the hill (pun intended) at Crowley Lake. It's not that long drive for me to Sacto. Could I come over to check the camera out?

Claude Fiddler
Wilderness Light
10-24-2010, 06:23 AM   #52
D W
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I just consulted the family lens collection listing, and it turns out we might still have one. If it hasn't been sold off in our attempt to down size the collection.
That P67 400/4EDIF is definitely a keeper. With the OEM 67>645 adapter you do get your aperture linkage so it works like an A645 lens without the A setting on the lens. It is my 400 on the 645 and K-dslrs.

I have also used the AF1.7 converter with the 645/67 long lenses on the Dslrs

Last edited by D W; 10-24-2010 at 06:38 AM.
10-24-2010, 06:24 AM   #53
D W
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by claudefiddler Quote
Digitalis

Are you sure about the hasselblad manufacturer? I know the camera is made by Fuji. But I beleive the lenses are Zeiss.

On a different note: DNScott548: I'm over the hill (pun intended) at Crowley Lake. It's not that long drive for me to Sacto. Could I come over to check the camera out?

Claude Fiddler
Wilderness Light
Blad bodies are still internal manufactured. All the H series optics are Fujinons with EBC.

This was about the same time as the introduction of the CONTAX 645 with Zeiss T* optics.

Last edited by D W; 10-24-2010 at 06:35 AM.
10-24-2010, 07:28 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Blad bodies are still internal manufactured. All the H series optics are Fujinons with EBC. This was about the same time as the introduction of the CONTAX 645 with Zeiss T* optics.
Exactly, and Fuji EBC coating is as good as it gets, I would actually say it handles some things is better than penta'x SMC coatings do.

That P67 400/4EDIF is definitely a keeper
I know, I never had much use for it on the 67 system. Basically, it was too short for wildlife work. But it should be excellent on the 645D...I'll have to test it against the FA 645 400mm f/5.6 - because they are both absolutely superb lenses, it will be interesting to see which one has the edge.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-07-2011 at 02:32 AM.
10-24-2010, 08:42 AM   #55

Hi Carlos,

Since you've actually worked with 645D raw files, have you had the opportunity to compare them with raw files from other MFDB's? Over on the Getdpi forums, several people who have experience with numerous MFDB's say the pentax files are a notch below, quality wise. Some attribute this to the fact that Pentax files are 14 bit, and other MFDB's are 16bit. This is not to say the Pentax files are bad, only that they resemble files from a high MP DSLR, rather than medium format.

Scott
Scott & the Gang:

I am in the process of organizing a head-to-head shoot out between Pentax and the other major players in an "apples to apples" photo shoot to compare the quality of the images produced by 40 Mpx systems. Need to travel to PhotoPlus this week to pitch this to Pentax and the rest. Will keep you posted.
10-24-2010, 09:36 AM   #56

Etrigan

Good Luck!

I HIGHLY recommend you look at LLoyd Chambers S2 review and comparison with Nikon D3X. This review is based on fact, not opinion and covers everything from field use to extensive post process.

Hoping to see your report.

Claude Fiddler
Wilderness Light
10-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #57

Hi Carlos,

You are embarking on exactly the kind of comparison many are looking for. Thank you. I hope you're able to try some of the longer Pentax lenses during the process.

Digitalis; your experiences with the FA 400/5.6 have gotten my interest. I use the 67 M*400/4 quite a bit for some work, and, as D W says, it is a superb lens. Having a smaller, lighter AF lens of comparable optical quality would be a boon to 645D users who use telephoto lenses.

Scott
10-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Surfotog - I have used the FA 400mm f/5.6 much more than I have used any other lens of similar length on 67 format. And I can attest to it's superb sharpness. The only advantage I can think the 67 lens will have over it is a slight increase in corner resolution - if that is even possible.
10-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #59
D W
Veteran Member

Hi Carlos,

You are embarking on exactly the kind of comparison many are looking for. Thank you. I hope you're able to try some of the longer Pentax lenses during the process.

Digitalis; your experiences with the FA 400/5.6 have gotten my interest. I use the 67 M*400/4 quite a bit for some work, and, as D W says, it is a superb lens. Having a smaller, lighter AF lens of comparable optical quality would be a boon to 645D users who use telephoto lenses.

Scott
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Surfotog - I have used the FA 400mm f/5.6 much more than I have used any other lens of similar length on 67 format. And I can attest to it's superb sharpness. The only advantage I can think the 67 lens will have over it is a slight increase in corner resolution - if that is even possible.
I had head to head of the two lenses on 645N. Basically it was splitting hair on Optical performance.
One is AF on the 645, lighter but f5.6, the other is MF but a very sharp f4. The tie-breaker was f4 was better for my use of the AF1.7X and I already have it.
10-25-2010, 08:42 AM   #60

Here a little something I published today: DXO Shootout - Pentax 645D vs Hasselblad H3DII-39 vs Phase One P40+ - http://www.echenique.com/2010/10/25/dxo-shootout-pentax-645d-vs-hasselblad-h...phase-one-p40/

The 645D does very well indeed!