Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This disturbs me, comments about the 645D

QuoteOriginally posted by David Farkas:
I know a lot of people really want the Pentax to be the first affordable medium format DSLR with the latest technology, but to date, the images do not give me the impression of MF. Even the sample photos in the booth, printed at 13" x 19" were extremely lackluster. The same blurred details and the same "looking through a dirty window" effect prevailed. Obviously, this is a young product, and the first of its kind for Pentax. Only time will tell if improvements are made to the camera so that it can compete image-quality-wise with the likes of Phase, Hasselblad and the Leica S2.
QuoteOriginally posted by David farkas:
I also found that at least in the show hall, the AF was hunting considerably and had some difficulty locking on to the Pentax rep behind the counter.
QuoteOriginally posted by David Farkas:
At the start and end of the shutter firing sequence, there was a definite pull that could be felt in your hand. It is always possible to lock up a mirror to eliminate vibrations, but if the shutter itself is the cause of vibration, this could rob the camera of any resolution advantage it might have over a Nikon D3x or Canon 1DsIII, especially in the vibration danger zone of 1/6th – 1/60th.
Can anyone here who is/has tested the 645D comment on those comments?

For those who read their site, they're basically Leica users BUT from the samples i see here from users this particular statement from their brief use at Photokina has me shaking my head, i've always respected their knowledge but this just doesn't seem at all very unbiased?

10-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #2

I've never handled the 645D but I sure love your signature.

10-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I googled the name of the guy, and it seems he's just some dude expressing quick subjective impressions on the basis of a couple of shots he made using a 645d at Photokina. In any case, others say different things:
Pentax 645D - First Look Review
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-medium-format-645-6x7-645d/112084-...nger-play.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-medium-format-645-6x7-645d/103597-...tographer.html
10-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
I googled the name of the guy, and it seems he's just some dude expressing quick subjective impressions on the basis of a couple of shots he made using a 645d at Photokina. In any case, others say different things:
Pentax 645D - First Look Review
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-medium-format-645-6x7-645d/112084-...nger-play.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-medium-format-645-6x7-645d/103597-...tographer.html
He actually runs the family business DALE Photo & Digital in Ft Lauderdale; that said, some of the comments i posted are disturbing if you're planning on getting the 645D and yes i've been following all the user reports here and online and this was the first "not so positive" opinions i've run across it tends to make you wonder.

@ Guakala, i stole it from Ned Bunnell

10-21-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Still, he doesn't appear to have dedicated some serious time and effort to his assessment of the camera's IQ.
10-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Originally posted by David Farkas:
At the start and end of the shutter firing sequence, there was a definite pull that could be felt in your hand. It is always possible to lock up a mirror to eliminate vibrations, but if the shutter itself is the cause of vibration, this could rob the camera of any resolution advantage it might have over a Nikon D3x or Canon 1DsIII, especially in the vibration danger zone of 1/6th – 1/60th.
This vibration during a shot hasn't been bought up by anyone else.
10-21-2010, 04:25 PM   #7

I personally know David and he is very sharp. DALE PHOTO & DIGITAL is one of our local Leica dealers and David has been invited by Leica numerous times to their HQ. That said, he is firmly enraptured by the Leica S2 and has a thorough knowledge of the product. Any MF comparisons he makes uses the Leica S2 as the yardstick to measure by. His 645D comments are based on his handling of a demo unit at the Pentax booth at Photokina, not a rigorous test in the field. He commented on the prints because his family business also provides print services and the stuff he saw was not up to his standards (which are high). I treat this article as a "first impressions" type of reportage more than anything else.

10-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
This vibration during a shot hasn't been bought up by anyone else.
perhaps he has weaker hands and wrists than most people do, that or he is supporting the camera incorrectly.
10-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #9

I think comparing a $10,000 MF to a $23,000 MF would be bias from the start.
Darr
10-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #10
Forum Member

I doubt that Pentax changed it's mirror and shutter assemblies too much from the 645N II, and especially the shock absorbing capabilities.
10-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
perhaps he has weaker hands and wrists than most people do, that or he is supporting the camera incorrectly.
lol ...perhaps it 's just no one else has reported this, i plan on getting this as i already have a few lenses.

@etrigan63; i respect David's opinions not knocking him but his first impressions even if at Photokina vs others from other shows i.e here at the last Henry's show ( i didn't get a chance to attend) and no one noticing what he found. I know this is THE Pentax forum but i would hope people here would have at least noticed this...that said i know there probably aren't as many MF users here from film ( i know there's a few) so handling a much larger camera is new territory and noticing certain things aren't as apparent, even the current users posting images here haven't reported this? This is what's disturbing to me, either it's been fixed or has gone un-noticed.
10-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wkkato Quote
I doubt that Pentax changed it's mirror and shutter assemblies too much from the 645N II, and especially the shock absorbing capabilities.
I've only had the 645 not the N or NII version but i can't ever remembering the type of vibration as David found.
10-21-2010, 07:44 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
The same blurred details and the same "looking through a dirty window" effect prevailed.
This is an effect I have seen on a number of sample photos shown from the 645D particularly landscape/nature/outdoor photos, and I am seeing the same thing in the full sized sample provided on this thread.

Has anyone else noticed the same. Maybe it’s more a software issue but for me personally I see this a lot in the sample photos I have seen so far when I zoom in 100% or more.

Mark
10-21-2010, 07:56 PM   #14

I know David to be articulate, helpful and very knowledgeable about MFD and other digital capture camera systems. Obviously he's very familiar with and a fan of the the Leica S2.

If you read his blog you'll find out a lot about the Leica. I think he gushes too much about the S2 and glosses over what I feel are some problems with the camera. But as far as image quality the S2 has proven to be a stunning performer. Lenses that are absolutely sharp corner to corner, wide open. Probably the best glass in the world.

That said the 645D should be able to produce results of equal quality. As far as sensors go I believe they're the same. So the question becomes one of the glass and camera mechanics. If the 645D has a vibration problem, it's toast. Based on samples that would show up as consistent blur. As far glass goes, stopping down the lens, (Diffraction isn't going to matter in a print. I've seen Joe Holmes work at f 20 with his Phase/Mamiya and diffraction's not a problem in a print and the proof is in the print pudding in my book) is going to level the glass playing field as far as corner to corner sharpness is concerned.

And I've looked at TONS of prints from my good friend Robert Ketchum's 645 and Velvia. I don't know what Bob used for glass but the cibachromes at 32x40 were spectacular.

The 645D with 2 cards that can be used as back-up, the battery life, the ability to work in harsh conditions, the layout of the controls, the lens selection, the distortion correction, all point to a fantastic camera/lens system.

David isn't bashing the product, he's pointing out potential problems. Or call his comments throwing down the gauntlet if you will. The Leica S2 has proven itself with rigorous testing and samples. The 645D should be able to do the same. The ball is in the 645D's court to prove David wrong.

Claude Fiddler.
10-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mark_au Quote
This is an effect I have seen on a number of sample photos shown from the 645D particularly landscape/nature/outdoor photos, and I am seeing the same thing in the full sized sample provided on this thread.

Has anyone else noticed the same. Maybe it’s more a software issue but for me personally I see this a lot in the sample photos I have seen so far when I zoom in 100% or more.

Mark
Have you seen harklee's stuff in his thread? I'm not seeing the blur but i know my eyes are bad he shoots almost everything on a tripod and he has excellent technique from his samples but what really bothers me is no one is mentioning this "vibration" that David mentioned.