Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #1

Couple of questions

The X setting for flash on my 6x7 is 1/30 , I can't get it through my head why they would have such a slow setting. Seems the mirror and camera shutter would make it fuzzy. I know the flash is short but the lens is still open for 1/30 of a second. Do any of you just set the camera shutter at 1/125 and then shoot flash?
Also I'm trying to understand lens filters ,I'm shooting BXW and I want to get a yellow 8 or 12 for portraits and I like contrast. So when I use my wein flash meter. I use that setting. plus open the f stop as much as the filter says to set it. But what do you do when your shooting with natural lite? do you just meter it though the filter and use that setting , or do you meter it through the filter then open it one stop or whatever the filter says.

10-24-2010, 11:24 PM   #2

If you shoot with flash at 1/125 or anything faster than 1/30 you will end up with the shutter curtain blocking part of the image.
As for the filter, In natural light if you have TTL metering then put the filter on the camera and meter as normal the TTL will take the filter into account, if no TTL and using a handheld meter either set your meter to ISO50 (assuming your using ISO100 film) and apply the meter reading directly to the camera, or meter at ISO100 then open up one stop. If you put the filter on the meter then set camera to what meter says.

Shane
10-25-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The flash sync speed is the fastest speed at which the shutter is fully open, anything faster than that and the shutter is making a slit that travels across the frame.
hen using a filter, if you are metering with an external meter, open the lens up by the filter factor (or shutter speed if shooting ambient).
The older 6x7 meters are somewhat colour sensitive, so you may find to need to adjust your exposure a bit when metering through a filter. This is most easily accomplished by adjusting the ISO slightly.
You'll have to test this out for yourself.
10-25-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Also take into account the person's skin tone with that flash meter. With dark skin, you may want to open it up a couple of stops. Targeting one stop above middle gray is common for caucasian skin tone. But of course that all depends on your portrait.

And note, too, a yellow filter will help darken some female lipstick color which is good for separating the lips from skin tone. Pentax made a YG (yellow/green) filter for portraits. You may want to avoid girls having deep red lipstick with a filter that has some green in it; otherwise, you may end up with black lips and a gothic look which may or may not be what you want.

I used a yellow filter for this shot. So I opened the lens up two stops from the flash meter readings. One for the filter and one to place her skin at a higher value. Her lipstick color worked well with the filter. If I recall it was a pinkish-red.

Last edited by tuco; 10-25-2010 at 07:51 AM.
10-25-2010, 11:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
Which yellow filter 8, 12,or 15 on your portrait

Jon
10-26-2010, 06:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Pentax Y48 (Y2) filter which I believe is about a yellow 8.