Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
Forum Member

6x7 negative damage?

This is the first roll of film I have used with this camera and I am a complete novice to the medium format.
I developed a roll of film and did some prints, and i noticed some damage to the emulsion side of the negative. Usually I expect a few scratches or imperfections to the negative, however this was on the majority of the negatives and in a similar pattern

Here is an example, see the black spots in a vertical line on the photo.

since the pattern was very predictable, I come to the possibility that the camera may be causing damage with each advancement of film.

I had a look at the roller at the right side of the camera, as i do not have previous experience i am not sure what it is ment to look like. It looks a bit old (?) and possibly damaged? I am not sure, i have included pictures below.

this could be the problem, maybe how I have spooled the film, however, it does not seem like damagaed caused this way, it appears like pressure to the emulsion to cause this damage. It could also be me doing something completely wrong and damaging the film by operating the camera wrong.

Since there is alot of experience here with these types of camera, i wonder if anyone has come across this before?

Thanks.

11-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
Pentaxian

That camera looks like it has seen better days. It must be a very early model. I see several feature differences. My roller is smooth plastic. I guess the roller would have to be damaging the film in order for it to be consistent. Are you developing and scanning the film yourself?

Black spots can mean the emulsion is damaged or metal ions on the film and white spots can be dust or really tiny white spots in quantity could be calcium salts in the water.

On my 4990 scanner once I was seeing a bunch of spots in same area of the film when I scanned. I thought it was dust. Then I noticed on the inside of the upper glass lid of the scanner there was a dirt. Those guys really should make it easy to remove the glass on those scanners to clean it.

So check all those things, use distilled water for the developer and try again. But that roller does look really bad. Roll it around and feel for rough, sharp areas. Same for the roller on other side.

Last edited by tuco; 11-12-2010 at 10:20 AM.
11-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

It looks like the original version and also looks like it has been wet (salt water?) inside and corroded many parts. The roller should be smooth. It looks like a problem camera. That roller could be the cause if your problems.
11-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Here is what the my 6x7 looks like for a comparison.

Name:  67_BackOpen.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  171.6 KB

11-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks tuco.

They were printed then scanned. I had a look at the actual negative, and rubbed my finger on it, and it is not dust which made me think of physical damage.

In comparison your roller is much smoother.
I don't mind the cosmetic condition of the camera, its just i really wanted it to work well.
Camera was described as 'good condition with some cosmetic sratches'. Fair enough, but nothing about damaaged internals mentioned.

Does anyone know if i can purchase a replacement roller, or should i be sending the camera back to the seller?
11-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fabian628 Quote
thanks tuco.

Camera was described as 'good condition with some cosmetic sratches'. Fair enough, but nothing about damaaged internals mentioned.

Does anyone know if i can purchase a replacement roller, or should i be sending the camera back to the seller?
IMHO, that is a long stretch to call it in good condition. You can't get parts from Pentax anymore for this camera. And the odds of finding someone with just the roller to sell seems very small. One option is to get a junk 6x7 for parts but I'm not sure if replacing it is a simple thing. If you have to pay for its installation, well, you might be better off looking for one in better condition if you plan on shooting it on a regular basis.

You might be able to use some fine sand paper and de-burr any sharp edges on that roller.

Last edited by tuco; 11-12-2010 at 05:39 PM.
11-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks for your advice. I agree, the roller will probably be hard to come by, and especially if the screws are questionable on this body, they may snap off or be corroded in making opening it up impossible.
Ill have to contact the seller and return it.