Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
Forum Member

Now I wait.

Ordered a 645D and 55mm today. Expect it in about 2 weeks or so, if my sales guy is telling the truth. This'll be my first Pentax since stupidly leaving a beloved Spotmatic next to a tree on a teenage camping trip in, oh, 1970 was it?

I had been toying with getting a Mamiya/Phase P40+, but the Pentax seems like a no-brainer for a bunch of reasons.

I'll post my experiences here: getting it, testing it, using it, finding more glass for it, etc.

Tim

11-15-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, I look forward to hearing about your experiences. I hope to be there in a year or so. I've recently acquired an original 645 film camera to learn and build up some Pentax A lenses. It's been interesting so far and I can only imagine what a digital version would be like. Best of luck and enjoy.
11-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Don't leave this one next to a tree!
11-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Join the queue - 5 months and counting on my wait so far!

It'll be worth it though

11-17-2010, 06:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tim Wilson Quote
Ordered a 645D and 55mm today. Expect it in about 2 weeks or so, if my sales guy is telling the truth. This'll be my first Pentax since stupidly leaving a beloved Spotmatic next to a tree on a teenage camping trip in, oh, 1970 was it?
Well, that's quite an upgrade, isn't it? You took some time to decide, but I guess you won't regret!! Good luck, and don't forget to post some results every now and then....
11-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #6

It'll be worth it though Join the queue - 5 months and counting on my wait so far!

Your dealer has been sitting on your $10k for five months?
11-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aeros Quote

It'll be worth it though Join the queue - 5 months and counting on my wait so far!

Your dealer has been sitting on your $10k for five months?

Nope - they've been sitting on my AUD$14,250 for 5 months.
Gotta love Australia's Import taxes, the exchange rate at the time, going through an importer/distributor before it gets to the dealer, +10%GST ......etc .... NOT!!

11-24-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
In my case, they (B&H) aren't actually sitting on MY 10K until the credit card bill comes and comes due, which I'm calculatiing will be about the time the 645D gets here.
11-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #9

Sitting on your money

In my case, they (B&H) aren't actually sitting on MY 10K until the credit card bill comes and comes due, which I'm calculatiing will be about the time the 645D gets here.
Well I have to say McBain Camera in Edmonton Alberta Canada treated me kindly, they only required a $1000.00 deposit, but I'm still waiting for the camera!
12-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
In the two weeks since placing my order, I've amassed a small collection of lenses and accessories in preparation: a used 75, a used 120, a new 45-85, a couple fast-and-big cards. Then yesterday, B&H finds out they aren't getting 645Ds until February, and offers to cancel my order, which I reluctantly agree to have them do, thinking I'll search elsewhere. Then today B&H finds out a couple units are on their way, due in a couple days, and offers to reinstate my order, which I cheerfully agree to have them do. Sheesh.

My credit card needs a neckbrace.

Tim
12-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

In the two weeks since placing my order, I've amassed a small collection of lenses and accessories in preparation: a used 75, a used 120, a new 45-85, a couple fast-and-big cards. Then yesterday, B&H finds out they aren't getting 645Ds until February, and offers to cancel my order, which I reluctantly agree to have them do, thinking I'll search elsewhere. Then today B&H finds out a couple units are on their way, due in a couple days, and offers to reinstate my order, which I cheerfully agree to have them do. Sheesh.

My credit card needs a neckbrace.

Tim
I'm told the units are in Melbourne as of yesterday and should be here at my local shop in Perth on Monday ..... fingers crossed.

I saw the US dates chopping and changing - hopefully you don't get the same run around we did Tim.

At the PMA show in May the Pentax rep told people 1st August for the 645D in Aust. I put my order in late June and was set for the month and bit wait ..... a 5 or 6 week wait isn't that bad. Then I get told late July that it'll more likely be late in August, just an extra week or two wait ...... I can live with that.
August came and went, more calls and e-mails - looking like late September now .....arrrggh!!!
Was pulling my hair out (what little is left). September came and went, then into October and I'm told late October definitely ... surprise, surprise November kicks off and still no camera.
Then I'm told 10th November - the first time I'm given an actual date rather than early-mid-late in a month.
17th November I get the call that's it's here and to come and get it ... then a minute later get the "You can't come and get it, it's been recalled" phone call with no formal details on the recall or an idea on a date.
I got an e-mail yesterday the units are in Melbourne and should be in the shop here Monday - so if that turns out to be the case, it'll have been a 6 month wait after ordering and paying.
Now wondering whether to prepare myself to start shooting properly again (been in a slump of alte waiting for the new camera), prepare for a massive anti-climax, or start guessing at the next reason I won't be able to pick it up.
12-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Warped Quote
I'm told the units are in Melbourne as of yesterday and should be here at my local shop in Perth on Monday ..... fingers crossed.

I saw the US dates chopping and changing - hopefully you don't get the same run around we did Tim.

At the PMA show in May the Pentax rep told people 1st August for the 645D in Aust. I put my order in late June and was set for the month and bit wait ..... a 5 or 6 week wait isn't that bad. Then I get told late July that it'll more likely be late in August, just an extra week or two wait ...... I can live with that.
August came and went, more calls and e-mails - looking like late September now .....arrrggh!!!
Was pulling my hair out (what little is left). September came and went, then into October and I'm told late October definitely ... surprise, surprise November kicks off and still no camera.
Then I'm told 10th November - the first time I'm given an actual date rather than early-mid-late in a month.
17th November I get the call that's it's here and to come and get it ... then a minute later get the "You can't come and get it, it's been recalled" phone call with no formal details on the recall or an idea on a date.
I got an e-mail yesterday the units are in Melbourne and should be in the shop here Monday - so if that turns out to be the case, it'll have been a 6 month wait after ordering and paying.
Now wondering whether to prepare myself to start shooting properly again (been in a slump of alte waiting for the new camera), prepare for a massive anti-climax, or start guessing at the next reason I won't be able to pick it up.
I got the same pre-order bait (December delivery) from Pentax USA, and then the switch to February delivery. I am taking the Hong Kong route, it looks like. Can anyone zerox their English Language Instruction book? Of course I will pay for all your costs.
Thanks in advance
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ USA
12-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by gurtch Quote
I got the same pre-order bait (December delivery) from Pentax USA, and then the switch to February delivery. I am taking the Hong Kong route, it looks like. Can anyone zerox their English Language Instruction book? Of course I will pay for all your costs.
Thanks in advance
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ USA
Dave, don't do it. Remember when you were still working as an engineer, you made a hasty decision because you ran out of patience. (just guessing) Do you remember the consequence's? If you buy in Hong Kong, you will not have any US service available to you. For your own sake wait it out.

I know it's fine for me to say that since I have my camera and it took less than six weeks. It has to be the worst kind of frustration, just tough it out, "This too shall pass"

Last edited by aeros; 12-03-2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: typo
12-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by aeros Quote
Dave, don't do it. Remember when you were still working as an engineer, you made a hasty decision because you ran out of patience. (just guessing) Do you remember the consequence's? If you buy in Hong Kong, you will not have any US service available to you. For your own sake wait it out.

I know it's fine for me to say that since I have my camera and it took less than six weeks. It has to be the worst kind of frustration, just tough it out, "This too shall pass"
Too Late............
Dave
12-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by gurtch Quote
Too Late............
Dave
All my Canon lenses I bought from B&H were the "IMPORT" versions, with international warranties, usually about $10 to $50 cheaper than the "USA" version. One I had to return to Canon USA for out of warranty repair. They did so. Another lens was replaced free by Canon USA because of a recall. I would hope Pentax USA, would honor an international warranty (even if I had to pay for service).
Thanks for the advice and kind words, and good luck!
Dave