Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
67 shutter lock for long exposures?

I'm doing some astro photography tonight. Since I can only get one shot per night, I'm a bit miffed that I'm not "recording" anything right now! The first shot, stupid me, I forgot to move the speed from 250 to B. My fault. The second shot, I put it on B, pressed the shutter release and then attempted to move the shutter lock to "L" as I would on my MX. No dice, it does not move while the shutter button is depressed. Is there any way to lock the shutter open other than using a cable release? Should I resort to zip ties to actuate the shutter tonight?

11-15-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Cable release.
11-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
Inactive Account

The manual (on p30) seems to suggest the need for a cable release fitted with a lock.
11-16-2010, 12:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please note that the Pentax 6x7 (and I think it holds true for the later model models) will use up batteries for the time the shutter is opened. I learned it the hard way (one exposure through the night, no more batteries in the morning, it was a new one)

There are 67 specialy modified for Astrophotography that have been made. I suggest you google it if you are really into that.

11-16-2010, 05:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the help guys! I'll go get a cable release today. I went ahead and took a shot with the MX instead. I'm aware of the battery limitations, at this point I don't plan on doing this enough to worry about it, but depending on how I like it I may have to do the mod.
11-16-2010, 06:23 AM   #6

There's a way to lock the long exposures...

You have to put the speed dial in the area between the 1000 and the X there, when you push the shutter release it'll get locked...

I'll quote the 6x7 manual page 11

QuoteQuote:
Time Exposure
By setting the shutter speed dial anywhere in the space
between X and 1/1000 sec., you can take Time
exposures. To close the shutter, turn the speed
dial to X or 1/1000.
Double exposures cannot be made with this camera
11-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andres Quote

You have to put the speed dial in the area between the 1000 and the X there, when you push the shutter release it'll get locked...

Yes, I've used that mode when I left my cable release at home. Double exposures can be done with the 90mm LS lens and this mode.

11-16-2010, 03:32 PM   #8

Original Poster
Awesome! I'll give that a try tonight. Thanks
11-17-2010, 08:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is becoming a 'tips and tricks' topic....
11-23-2010, 11:16 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Andres Quote

Does this method still consume battery power like using the cable release?

Cheers
Shane
12-02-2010, 07:28 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Isis Quote

Cheers
Shane
Good question... but I have no idea :P

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Yes, I've used that mode when I left my cable release at home. Double exposures can be done with the 90mm LS lens and this mode.

Great Tip! I wish I had a LS lens LOL
12-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Isis Quote

Cheers
Shane

Mirror up consumes battery, so it probably does.

The fact that Pentax offered a modification for astronomers that prevented battery drain during mirror up use would seem to confirm this view.
12-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Everything a stock 6x7 does consumes battery power. I recall the manual states that a fresh PX-28 (silver-oxide) is good for about 6 hours of total exposure time.
Mirror up consumes battery, though I don't know how much compared to the shutter.
12-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The above method does use battery power. Here's a technique I used years ago before I had a 67II. (lited from a p-net thread)
"I did a search for long exposure techniques with the 67; none I found was really straightforward. The following procedure worked for a 3 hour exposure using a Pentax 67 without exhausting the battery: 1. Focus a tripod-mounted 67 and advance the film and lock up the mirror. 2. Remove the battery. 3. Have the shutter speed set a "B" and depress the shutter.

The shutter will not close until the battery is returned. Most tripods will will require removing the camera from the tripod and QR plate to remove the battery and since the mirror is up, the compostion can't be checked upon remounting the camera. Not really a problem for wide angle shots, but could be with long lenses."

NB If I remember correctly this works with the shutter set between any 2 speeds, e.g. 100 and X.

Good luck
12-02-2010, 07:30 PM   #15

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Thomas Quote
The above method does use battery power. Here's a technique I used years ago before I had a 67II. (lited from a p-net thread)
"I did a search for long exposure techniques with the 67; none I found was really straightforward. The following procedure worked for a 3 hour exposure using a Pentax 67 without exhausting the battery: 1. Focus a tripod-mounted 67 and advance the film and lock up the mirror. 2. Remove the battery. 3. Have the shutter speed set a "B" and depress the shutter.

The shutter will not close until the battery is returned. Most tripods will will require removing the camera from the tripod and QR plate to remove the battery and since the mirror is up, the compostion can't be checked upon remounting the camera. Not really a problem for wide angle shots, but could be with long lenses."

NB If I remember correctly this works with the shutter set between any 2 speeds, e.g. 100 and X.

Good luck
I believe this technique works for the 6x7 model. I tried it with a 67 and pulling the battery out closes the shutter and drops the mirror.

I made a device for use in astrophotography. It simply holds the safety button ( the recessed button below the shutter release) in while the extended exposure is made. Once this button is held in, you cock the shutter, operate the mirror up if desired first, then press the shutter release to open for the exposure. It does not matter what shutter speed you have selected and you should not have a battery in the camera for this to work.

The link below shows how I made a simple plate that temporarily attaches to the camera for this operation. I used a cable release to operate the safety switch and releasing the cable release to end the exposure.

A company named Hutech made one for years, but no longer makes them.

I've shot hundreds of hours with this setup and no battery!

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbarchive/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Film&Number=1...v=#Post1702165