Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2010, 03:43 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
645D in The British Journal of Photography

The British Journal of Photography has an initial review of the 645.

They seem to like it, save for some concerns about things like the buffer write speed.

A comprehensive review is foreshadowed.

11-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #2

This poor sod used 133x SD cards. We should take up a charitable collection for him.

A 32GB Class 10 Transcend card can be had for about $60 bucks at B&H. Even with that, the previewing is too slow, at about 4 seconds. On a brisk studio shoot, however, the camera kept up just fine.

- N.
11-22-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ndevlin Quote
On a brisk studio shoot, however, the camera kept up just fine.
If you get a chance to do a low key shoot, could you post 100% crops of the shadow areas? Wondering how well noise is controlled...
11-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #4

From my cursory look at the files (not a terribly low-key shoot), I can see virtually no noise in the images. If you have in mind those splothcy shadows that the early MF backs enjoyed, there is nothing like that. I would pronounce these files 'clean' at base ISO.

In the 'mini-shootout' (on LL), I mentioned that the files exhibited less noise in the deep shadows at the 'pull ISO' of 100. I want to play more with it before I pronounce on that for certain, but with what I've seen at 200, the difference would be minimal.

It's a fine studio camera. A discussion of this will probably form part of a future further review.

- N.

11-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ndevlin Quote
This poor sod used 133x SD cards. We should take up a charitable collection for him.

A 32GB Class 10 Transcend card can be had for about $60 bucks at B&H. Even with that, the previewing is too slow, at about 4 seconds. On a brisk studio shoot, however, the camera kept up just fine.

- N.
As pointed out to me after a first impressions write up I did some time ago - speed when writing to the card as well previewing the image can be greatly affected by a number of in-camera options.
I didn't get the chance to check it out, but was told if you have various lens corrections turned on, as well as a few other funtions (will try and dig the info up, prettys ure there was one for Dynmic Range and shadow recovery) you can easily add a few seconds while the camera does it's thing to the file prior to writing it to the card and making the preview available.
Turning off all the auto jiggery-pokery and fixing anything in post can apparently save you a fair bit of time.

$60 for a 32 Gb card ..... biy do we get the rough end of the pinapple here in Oz. $120 for a 16 Gb Sandisk Extreme III in the camera shop I went to!