Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2010, 02:43 AM   #1

67 in the mail!

Just bought a 67, TTL finder, and 75mm lens from KEH, can't wait! This will be my first MF camera and first film camera. I currently own a Nikon D700 but after borrowing a friend's Mamiya 645 AFD I was hooked on the results even from low-res scans.

11-22-2010, 06:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats Adam...
I just recently bought a 67 with TTL finder too, although I got the 67 105mm lens.
You're probably already aware, but that 75mm will be a slight wide
11-22-2010, 06:52 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently bought a Pentax 645 film system and have been having fun with MF film too. I miss all the digital stuff I've come to rely on (histogram, instant review, exif data, etc.) but the look of the images is different from my DSLRs and that's a nice dimension. Also, I got a 645 to K mount adapter which is also fun to play with some old Pentax 645 A prime lenses on my K20.
11-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Congrats Adam...
I just recently bought a 67 with TTL finder too, although I got the 67 105mm lens.
You're probably already aware, but that 75mm will be a slight wide
Yeah, it will be on the wider side, but based on my past photos this seemed to be the best bet for my first lens. I'm sure a year from now I'll have a longer lens too

11-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Interesting you picked the 6x7. It is like an over-sized K1000. It seems most people coming from 135 format or DSLR jump straight to the 645N with its more advanced automagic features to avoid manual camera shock
11-22-2010, 04:59 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Interesting you picked the 6x7. It is like an over-sized K1000. It seems most people coming from 135 format or DSLR jump straight to the 645N with its more advanced automagic features to avoid manual camera shock
I don't mind the manual aspects of it. I've been using a cheap manual focus telephoto lens with my D700 for several months that also requires manually adjusting aperature. The TTL viewfinder means I won't have to carry a separate meter. I do a lot of mountaineering so I was looking for a rugged camera, and if I'm going MF why not go all the way . Worst case at the end of the day if it isn't the right fit they seem to have good resale value. Could even use the lens on a 645.
11-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noodle0 Quote
... I do a lot of mountaineering so I was looking for a rugged camera...
You'd benefit, weight-wise, to use a WLF and small handheld meter if you're hauling that up mountains. The 90mm is one of the most compact of the 6x7 lens line up too. You should be in no rush to meter quickly under those conditions, I'd suspect. At least when I've hauled mine up mountains I didn't need the TTL, anyway. I've hauled my body with WLF + 90mm along on several week-long backpacking trips before.

Enjoy your new camera.
11-22-2010, 05:18 PM   #8

Original Poster
You'd benefit, weight-wise, to use a WLF and small handheld meter if you're hauling that up mountains. The 90mm is one of the most compact of the 6x7 lens line up too. You should be in no rush to meter quickly under those conditions, I'd suspect. At least when I've hauled mine up mountains I didn't need the TTL, anyway. I've hauled my body with WLF + 90mm along on several week-long backpacking trips before.

Enjoy your new camera.
In your experience, do you find it much easier to get correct focus using the waist-level finder?

11-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #9
Pentaxian

In your experience, do you find it much easier to get correct focus using the waist-level finder?
I find it easier for critical focus. It has a flip-up magnifying glass that zooms in on the focusing matte and you get 100% view when it's flipped out of the way.

A few limitations are that it is problematic to shoot in portrait orientation where people with, say, a Hasselblads or Rolleiflex's don't have to worry about that because of the square format. But on a tripod, it is much easier to shoot in portrait orientation with it. And of course you need to meter externally. But it will work fine under many shooting situations. It is not very expensive and a useful option to have. I shoot almost exclusively with one and pull out the TTL when I need it.
11-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #10

Original Poster
I find it easier for critical focus. It has a flip-up magnifying glass that zooms in on the focusing matte and you get 100% view when it's flipped out of the way.

A few limitations are that it is problematic to shoot in portrait orientation where people with, say, a Hasselblads or Rolleiflex's don't have to worry about that because of the square format. But on a tripod, it is much easier to shoot in portrait orientation with it. And of course you need to meter externally. But it will work fine under many shooting situations. It is not very expensive and a useful option to have. I shoot almost exclusively with one and pull out the TTL when I need it.
Sounds like a good option. I've never used a standalone light meter before, but next time I'm at Glazers I'll check them out. Being a hiker, any recommendations on a tripod for this beast? How light can I go without getting into the crazy-expensive carbon fiber stuff, and still get reasonable results?
11-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Sounds like a good option. I've never used a standalone light meter before, but next time I'm at Glazers I'll check them out. Being a hiker, any recommendations on a tripod for this beast? How light can I go without getting into the crazy-expensive carbon fiber stuff, and still get reasonable results?
I have an Alsta 234AB compact tripod because I didn't want to spend the bucks for the carbon. With a compact tripod, you spend a lot more money for a little weight savings than a much larger one. I put a Manfrotto 804RC2 pan head on it because it works out better for me and grid focus screens I have on my cameras. But the ball head it comes with should work if you're in a weigh savings mode, I suppose. A tripod such as that works fine as long as you don't put 300mm+ lens on and don't raise it up to eye-level. Which you don't often need to with a WLF.

It has a hook on the center post for hanging your camera bag or something for extra stability and you put your hand on the camera and push down gently along with MLU and you'll get by with it.

Maybe Glazers has some used analog handheld meters for cheap. Or look online. You should practice with one before any big shoots. I have a really small one that needs no batteries and works out fine. Metering off your hand in the light, on gray surfaces or fold up fabric gray card and things like that are all part of using one. Also, compare your readings with the Sunny 16 rule. All this works better with negative film of course because of the extra latitude.
11-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #12

Re the tripod, I use a Velbron CF630 with a Arcatech ballhead which weighs in at a comfortable 2kg, it handles the P6X7 and 90mm quite well. I like the idea of losing 500gram by using the waistfinder, must look into (pun intended) one.

Cheers
Shane