Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #1

I don't give a toss!

"I don't give a toss" That's what I told my Brother in-Law when I called him this morning, he lives in Liverpool UK and I live in Canada (I like the distance).

He was gob struck when I told him I just received my 645D. He told me it is just released in the UK and sells for 9999.00 pounds sterling! I asked if it came with every lens available included for that price. He said it was the price for just the body; then I was gob struck! This can’t be true.

He told me about a British Photo Magazine that did a review, ergonomics.. chunky and heavy 7/10. resolution 8/10. price 7/10 and so on for an average of 7/10. I said I don't give a toss about the Brit agenda riddled review. I told him I’m over the moon with it. Anyone who doesn’t rave over this camera, doesn’t own one but wants to in the worst way, but can’t come up with the coin and is jealous! I think that describes the Brit photo mag., writer who reviewed this camera. He must be a skinny little runt if this camera is too chunky and too heavy.

I tried my old Megablitz potato masher flash on this camera plus my old 75mm 645 film lens, with very surprising and pleasing results. It was the outdoor test I did today that totally blew me away. A lucky street snapshot of Santa walking down a side street of our small city. It was shot as JPG and when I got it on my computer I could zoom in and see the pores on his nose, hairs growing on the tip of his nose and a capillary in the white of his eye. This is from a shot that is almost full length (body) or say about eight or ten feet away.

This camera is the best investment I have ever made in my multimedia business, and along with my Epson large format printer (9900) that gives me a web throat of 44”, I can do some serious large format photo prints and take my business to a new level. Some serious bragging rights come with this camera. Even a mediocre photog like me can produce some startling large format images when it comes to resolution.

I’m sold and over the moon!

11-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm absolutely disappointed - where's the shot? I don't work in the same field as you do, but if I were into anything studio heavy, I know where I would put my third mortgage. My kit is heavy enough without adding lenses that heavy!

PS - I'll be in Edmonton over the first weekend in December, but I won't have time to do anything, it's one of those family things.
11-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I'm absolutely disappointed - where's the shot? I don't work in the same field as you do, but if I were into anything studio heavy, I know where I would put my third mortgage. My kit is heavy enough without adding lenses that heavy!

PS - I'll be in Edmonton over the first weekend in December, but I won't have time to do anything, it's one of those family things.
What's heavy about a 1:2.8 75mm? Don't be dissapointed, I posted Santa shots a few minutes ago. The full shot is nothing remarkable, but just a quick snapshot for test purposes.
11-27-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Well I'm going to be in Edmonton too for all of December!

'Twas -30 Centigrade last week. Dress warm.

I don't own a 645, but it's a hell of a camera no matter what the critics say.

11-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
Well I'm going to be in Edmonton too for all of December!

'Twas -30 Centigrade last week. Dress warm.

I don't own a 645, but it's a hell of a camera no matter what the critics say.
That's our temp last week as well. It's positively balmy summer today = only 1 degree of Centrigrade frost. Many of the critics sound an awful lot like the fox and the sour grapes to me. It's all in the (digital) negative.
11-28-2010, 12:37 PM   #6

Original Poster

Here's the pics.

Last edited by aeros; 02-21-2011 at 04:10 PM.
11-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, aeros, the detail in those images is stunning. You nailed the exposure as well. Now I can hate you for giving me CBA!

11-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #8

Original Poster
I donn't give a toss.

Wow, aeros, the detail in those images is stunning. You nailed the exposure as well. Now I can hate you for giving me CBA!
I always feel intimidated in this forum because my technical know how is very limited. Everything I know about photography has been learned by osmosis. I have plans to go to night school with my daughter and take a class starting with the basics.

I have too much camera to waste it. As for the shot I posted, all the credit goes to the camera. I visited your gallery and enjoyed your pics. I was very enamoured with the photo of the figure walking into the sunlit mist. I started image making as a painter, at age ten I had a painting shown in a kids exhibition at the Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool. As a mature painter I am published and collected with a work in the same corporate collection as Alex Colville, and David Blackwood.

I have always envied the talent of top photographers because I consider photography a high art form, a form in which I struggle to achieve only mediocrity. You can see for yourself at www.aeros.bz

As a painter I know a talented painter with a worn out squirrel hair brush, will produce better work than a lesser artist working with brand new sable brushes. The work comes from the artist not the brush. As I said earlier, the P645D gets all the credit, so now I have contradicted myself. BTW what does CBA mean?

Last edited by aeros; 11-28-2010 at 03:20 PM.
11-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aeros Quote
BTW what does CBA mean?
Camera Body/Buying Addiction.

Steve
11-28-2010, 11:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great image- now you can put in an advertising proposal for Coca Cola with that image as the centre piece. (Or maybe I'm showing my age by remembering santa as a construct of the CocaCola franchise.)

Now I know what 'full frame' camera I want to own!
11-29-2010, 08:00 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Great image- now you can put in an advertising proposal for Coca Cola with that image as the centre piece. (Or maybe I'm showing my age by remembering santa as a construct of the CocaCola franchise.)

Now I know what 'full frame' camera I want to own!
I checked out your gallery, very innovative and creative. I need to get over sharp focus and explore some abstract work. I enjoyed my visit to see your work.
11-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by aeros Quote
Here's the pics.
Hey Aeros: That is an unbelievable WOW!!. I have a 645D pre-ordered. I have a bunch of 645 lenses. I used the 645, 645N and 67 back in my film/darkroom days. I, too, make big prints (Epson 7600 ~24" roll paper). My biggest print from full frame 35mm (1DSIII, Alpha 900) is 20"x30". I plan on 24"x32" with the 645D. Anything bigger gets to be a logistics problem: available mat board and fome core sizes here (live on a barrier island).
Thanks for sharing, and GOOD LUCK!
Dave Gurtcheff
www.modernpictorials.com
11-29-2010, 06:25 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gurtch Quote
Hey Aeros: That is an unbelievable WOW!!. I have a 645D pre-ordered. I have a bunch of 645 lenses. I used the 645, 645N and 67 back in my film/darkroom days. I, too, make big prints (Epson 7600 ~24" roll paper). My biggest print from full frame 35mm (1DSIII, Alpha 900) is 20"x30". I plan on 24"x32" with the 645D. Anything bigger gets to be a logistics problem: available mat board and fome core sizes here (live on a barrier island).
Thanks for sharing, and GOOD LUCK!
Dave Gurtcheff
www.modernpictorials.com
Thanks for you comments Dave. If you want to go larger and get around the logistics problems of available foamcore sizes, think about printing on canvas and using (I make my own) stretcher frames. You will have the freedom to crop to any aspect ratio that suits you, or is dictated by your print. I am very happy with the prints I get on canvas. The Epson gives fabulous results even with small font copy let alone the photo images.

you are a lucky man, a very lucky man! you will love your P645D, and I'm not just saying that because I bought a load of stock in Pentax.(just kidding) Your old lenses will work fine. I was stunned at what I got with the 1:2.8 75mm. I plan on adding a new digital 55mm and an 80-160 zoom.

If you have any questions about canvas printing and making stretcher frames, just ask me. This opens up the possibility of doing hockey team shots with stitched images giving a very wide image, just make the frame to suit and brace it accordingly. Theoretically you could go 24"x60' long if your computer could RIP such a large file. It doesn't have to be hockey team shots either, think of what you could do with landscapes.

Good luck to you also,

Richard Jones.
11-29-2010, 07:24 PM   #14

Thanks Richard. I am 73 years old and have a lot of medium format experience, albeit non with digital. Your experiences are very encouraging to me. I have manual focus lenses: 35.., 45mm, 55mm, 75mm. and 85~160mm. Also AF lenses 45~85mm and 200mm. The Pentax site say that certain lenses (AF and later) have in-camera corrections for CA, distortion, etc). Did you use these these?
Dave
11-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #15

Original Poster
No Dave, my 645 is almost 20 years old (47 years younger than me) and it came with the 1:2.8 75mm, the only lense I have for that camera. I tried it on the P645D and the photo of Santa is the result. I have been to your website and want to comment on the photo of the cormorant that is lifting off from a piling. Great composition and mood. My other MF is an old Mamiya Universal. It includes 6x4.5 and 6x9 backs I can't remember what the lenses are now without digging it out of storage.

It was in rather poor shape when I bought it and had it renovated by a camera tech who did a great job of replacing gaskets etc., the camera was a real old war horse with a lot of battle scars but it gave me the best aerial photo (a lucky snap shot) I have ever taken. I look forward to bettershots yet with the new camera.

Sorry I am not able to give you more info on lenses, my experience and knowledge is not as complete as your own.

RJ.