Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #1

Pentax 67 - little switch with "M" written on it on right side.

Hi, I've searched all over the internet for information and can't find it, so I thought I'd post here.

I am a happy 67 user, with a gamut of lenses and cameras. I have recently bought a few lots of cameras/lenses with the intention of selling off what I didn't want.

Anyway, I came upon something strange. One Pentax 6x7 camera has a small metal switch on the right side right next to the 120/220 switch. It pivots either way, and holds down a small button when in the center of it's travel. There is a "M" inscribed on the body.

I couldn't find any references to this switch/button anywhere, but I could just be using the wrong terminology. So my question is, does anyone know what it is or where it came from?

My only guess is that it is a multi-exposure modification, but I can't test that without wasting some film which I don't want to do.

Thanks! Also, thanks for the excellent resource this site provides!

12-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I saw one of these on ebay and it was advertized as having the multiple exposure mod from the factory. I believe you engage it prior to cocking the shutter. It simply disengages the film winding mechansim, ala multiple exposure.
12-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
Any idea what that auction went for? I was considering keeping this body if it was in fact a multi-exposure mod but I really don't need it.

Also there was three posts that got deleted, what happened?
12-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Corran Quote
Also there was three posts that got deleted, what happened?
The database was "accidentally deleted". All posts for a day are lost.

12-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Corran Quote
Any idea what that auction went for? I was considering keeping this body if it was in fact a multi-exposure mod but I really don't need it.
No idea.
12-09-2010, 11:43 PM   #6

Original Poster
Just a follow up for those who might come later and have the same question:

It is in fact a multi-exposure mod. The switch actually "locks" on either side of a small post, and when "M" is showing it won't advance the film when the lever is cocked, and when it's shifted to hide the "M" the camera operates normally.

I decided to keep the camera for myself since it's a rare mod. Unless I'm able to swing a really good price. If anyone has got an idea of its value I'd be interested to know.

Thanks for the help guys.

Here's a picture for posterity:
Attached Images

12-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks for the picture. I've never seen that feature before. You should document it in the 67 section of the camera review.