Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2010, 03:36 AM   #1
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
To All 6x7, 67, 67II users. I need bag advice.

I have two catagories: quick-small for carrying around the city for street shooting and hiking size for extra lenses and other bits and junk, but not so big that I could tip over and not get up again.

I have no leads on quick-small. Some look too small and others are seemingly big, but tern out to be for dslr big and not P67 big.

So for the hiking bag, I'm looking at an Expedition 6 or 7... maybe Lowepro?

What works for you?

Update: The title should have been... "how do you lug your 6x7, 67, 67ii around". So the Idea is that I am interested in your recommendations and good or bad stories.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 12-05-2010 at 01:48 AM.
12-02-2010, 08:16 AM   #2

I am a 645 user. I pack my 645 in a watertight foam padded case. I shoot sports and landscapes. During wet weather, I will use my K20D and leave the medium format in its case. When hiking with the 645 I try to anticipate which lens, filters, + film backs I might need. If I am not sure, I will leave a lens behind. I often have the camera mounted on the tripod and carry the assembly with a shoulder strap. Everything else is in pockets in photographers vest. Others carry just what they need in a fanny pack.

All this said, if I were hiking more than a couple of miles, it would be the digital camera with a 21mm prime, and nothing else. I know some professionals who plan the sunrise or sunset and the exact lens, time of the year, the moon rising over a peak, etc., and they get their shot. They plan it out and then they plan it some more. By the time they head out (if hiking) they are carrying only what they think they will use.

I own a nice Lowepro backpack with a compartment for a laptop, and a lot of flexible compartments. I like it. I can carry a lot of equipment in it. It usually stays in the trunk of car. Since I acquired it, my attitude has shifted to the view that it hinders my creativity to be so locked into packing lenses I might use. Remember you can zoom with your feet or by cropping images later.

Jim
12-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I think if you have a comprehensive camera store in your area, you should go and look. Shopping online for a camera backpack can be deceiving. I did and when I went and actually looked at them, the one I would have selected online was way too big.

I have two Lowepro backpacks. One that will carry the my body, 3 lenses and some accessories. I have packed that around for MILES in the mountains with that combo as well as urban shooting. I also have a larger Pro Trekker 400 AW backpack that can carry a lot. But it is not comfortable on a really long hike. It's boxy and pulls away from the shoulders becoming uncomfortable. But it is good for when I want to carry a lot and only hike short distances from the car to take some shots.

So go look at some backpacks and size one up for body and 3 lenses for general purpose. Foot zooming does little for compressing the field and that effect it gives you.
12-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
"buckeye Jim", yes my K20D and 21mm has been a good buddy on some trips as well. I guess my question is more about "what you are using and is it living up to your expectations?" rather than "oh, what to do..."

"tuco", thanks for the suggestion and the helpful facts about your Pro Trekker 400 AW... off my list now. Yes, I've been to two camera stores with good selections of bags and yes, looked online too. Looking at an empty bag is still not telling me much. Those wads of packing paper just does not give the feel of a camera and lens. Dragging my actual gear to the store has caused some issues and attitudes, so no sale for them. I think I'll have to take a chance and pick one soon.

12-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

For hiking I use the Tamrac 777. I carry 2 bodies, 45mm and both zooms. It does fairly well and is more durable than their older bags.
12-03-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
Hey "desertscape", that is good info, thank you.
12-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I'm a Pelican Case guy, reduces issues with bumping and banging and water. Light gray for Pentax 67II kit, light gray for Hassleblad XpanII, big black monster for Digi kit. Kits stay in the vehicle cable locked to seat frame, load the tripod with body and lens, a couple extra lenses and accessories in a heavy duty photo vest for the hike with tripod/camera slung over the shoulder. Short hikes under half a mile I commonly just carry the Peli case and pod (except digi kit which is too large and heavy to carry--pick my poison for the vest and leave the rest). Note that I tend to go where there aren't other people to laugh at my silly overstuffed vest--just not a tourist trail or "famous overlook" kind of guy.
For heavy supertelephoto sessions, 400/4 goes in a tubular pack with outer pockets loaded with extra lenses and gear until in the vicinity of critters, then lens/camera combo goes on top of tripod slung over the shoulder. More commonly I go digi and 600/4 for supertele shooting...same tubular pack and side gear.
Street shooting? Never considered it.
Sports shooting, Pelican case with a sports specific kit and extra flash that I leave with in the media room or media area (usually under the desk beneath my laptop to claim a space). Load a single camera and lens combo onto the monopod (or handhold wide zoom) with flash. Rush around shooting with occassional returns to my kit to change up.
The more important the shot, the more likely I'll shoot medium format film and leave the digi behind. Sports and action and critters I've converted to digi.
12-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
"Ron Boggs", thanks for your input... However, I once again looked over the Tamrac Velocity again and it looks like it may be my small bag candidate. The large bag is still bouncing around and I never considered a hard case...hmmm.

12-04-2010, 06:19 PM   #9

If going to the stores and packing a bag with your stuff upset the clerks and those working there, you should say to them that you need the right bag.. and you should be able to test it out with all the gear you intend to put in it and fitting it to your liking.. and even test several bags.. I would give it another try...
getting the right bag can save you alot of frustration and even physical stress ..