Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2011, 02:39 AM   #31
Forum Member

Ok I can understand that

Checked on a 645D in the shop today - which should be similar to 645NII I think. Basically the eyecup ring unscrews to the left. We removed the stock piece and found the folding magnifying loupe also fits the 645D but I didn't try focusing through the finder as I didn't want to break the tape on the loupe. The large eyecup was also sealed in a bag so couldn't pull it out to see exact fit though. It appears that the ring (with optic) goes over the cup and screws back on. Hope that makes sense.

Does yours look like this? : ????.com- ?????? O-EC107 [???????645]

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
I want it to be a non-destructive removal, for camera and eyecup. I like them both! There must be some secret handshake that makes it easy...

01-17-2011, 07:29 AM   #32
Forum Member

Are these marks visible with the naked eye or did you use a loupe and/or UV light or something? Just curious as I've looked at 2 different 55's now (same shop) here in Japan and haven't seen marks or anything obvious to my eyes, nor to the technician behind the counter (I've known him for years and he's quite experienced and picky).

The reason I ask is my kit arrives tomorrow and both myself and the shop guy are wanting to inspect the newly arrived lens and compare to the older demo units. They've had their demo units now for about 7 months - and no reports of issues.

QuoteOriginally posted by Royce Howland Quote
Out of curiosity, I ended up taking my 55 f/2.8 back into my local dealer to examine it against another 55 they had there. The one they had was worse on the inner surface of the rear elements... quite a bit more dust / grit, and the same kind of circular scratches or smears. It also seemed a bit hazy. The guys there thought these effects didn't look good, so I returned mine even though I hadn't yet done any serious shooting with it. We'll see if a new shipment brings any improvement...
01-17-2011, 07:35 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
... and watching for digilloyd's results. Day by day, they're getting better........
....... Lloyd is laps ahead of any other net source in testing the P645 with legacy lenses, so let's all hit his site early and often!
Yes, his reviews are very valuable for anyone considering the 645D. Seems some of the old lenses are performing well. The only drawback of the 645D is the lack of a wide angle. Letís hope the yet-to-appear-but-announced 25mm does better than the new 55mm. In the meantime, it would be very useful if someone with a 35mm FA would send it to Lloyd Chambers for testing. Based on its reputation, itís a lens that should do well on the 645D.
01-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by VoltMan Quote
Are these marks visible with the naked eye or did you use a loupe and/or UV light or something? Just curious as I've looked at 2 different 55's now (same shop) here in Japan and haven't seen marks or anything obvious to my eyes [...]
The marks are visible to the naked eye. Just take a small LED flashlight of some sort to shine over the rear element group at an oblique angle to call out anything that might be there. Harder to see without doing that, but plainly obvious with it. Hopefully these marks are just a bad run of finishing work during final polishing or something like that, and Pentax can get it straightened out.

Of course the optical performance of the lens is also somewhat disappointing, especially for a landscape shooter like me who is really after front-to-back and side-to-side detail. Will be curious to hear your findings...

01-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #35
Forum Member

Thanks - will do ...

The marks are visible to the naked eye. [.......] Will be curious to hear your findings...
01-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #36

I had acephoto in VA where I purchased my 645D from do some testing with there now sold FA 35mm, and I got the raw PEFS to look at, I was mot impressed at all even shot at f11. F13
Like I have mentioned before according to the tech guys at pentax USA at least, there is such a wide degree of some lenses working well and some are not even though they are all the same lenses..

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomas Quote
Yes, his reviews are very valuable for anyone considering the 645D. Seems some of the old lenses are performing well. The only drawback of the 645D is the lack of a wide angle. Letís hope the yet-to-appear-but-announced 25mm does better than the new 55mm. In the meantime, it would be very useful if someone with a 35mm FA would send it to Lloyd Chambers for testing. Based on its reputation, itís a lens that should do well on the 645D.
01-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kuau Quote
I had acephoto in VA where I purchased my 645D from do some testing with there now sold FA 35mm, and I got the raw PEFS to look at, I was mot impressed at all even shot at f11. F13
Like I have mentioned before according to the tech guys at pentax USA at least, there is such a wide degree of some lenses working well and some are not even though they are all the same lenses..
Steven:

Perhaps it was a bad sample; however, I must say, I have never seen a negative post about this lens before. More typical is the following from 16:9

"If we're talking about the sharpest medium format optic, we naturally think of the Hasseblad 120mm Makro. Mamiya users have already discovered that their new AF 120 Macro is very close to its equal. What remains under-publicised is that the Pentax version is at least as good. Until the very recent release of the Mamiya 28mm which, at the time of writing, is suffering a number of teething / compatibility problems, Pentax' mould-breaking 33-55mm zoom was the widest rectilinear lens available for medium format: a sorely needed commodity with the present generation of undersized MF sensors. However, the true star of the range is the autofocus FA version of the Pentax 645 35mm f3.5. This is truly the Zeiss 21mm f2.8 of the medium format world, towering above its peers. Using medium format lenses on 35mm can be a bit of a lottery (perhaps more like poker!) but the Pentax FA35 is a safe bet."
01-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #38

Probably was a bad copy yet this is the whole problem with pentax right now.
All of these lenses are no longer being made. At least thats what I was told from pentax usa
So until pentax either re releases these lens or come out with new lenses.
I can only hope for the day when I can call a b&h and order some new manufactured lens and if I get a bad copy, I can easily send it back and get another copy

Steven

01-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #39
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, this view that the FA35 is excellent fits my experience and what I hear. Like a guy I know from a different forum has been doing... He's got this lens on a Zoerk shift adapter mounted on his Canon, and uses it to make exposures for stitching into larger files, sometimes many exposures, such as landscape shots on his annual pilgrimages to Iceland. For this, optical quality is clearly imperative.

I have this lens, and hope it will be one of the best for use on the 645D. It's been great on my 645NII, the only drawback I've noticed is some barrel distortion.
01-17-2011, 11:50 PM   #40
Site Supporter

No, it's the older flat one, like this: Pentax 645 LARGE EYECUP - KEH.com

Thanks for your advice. I'm thinking now that I'll just leave it on my camera. Lloyd got the modern one with his P645D, and it must be designed the way it is for a reason. I don't think the new one would work so well for eyeglass wearers, though.
01-18-2011, 06:44 AM   #41
Forum Member

dude. that's not just an eye-cup. a pair of those here in japan would pass for a kinky bra....

No, it's the older flat one, like this: Pentax 645 LARGE EYECUP - KEH.com
01-18-2011, 06:53 AM   #42
Forum Member

Pen light checked - no issues my new 55/2.8. However this new level of scrutiny cost me dearly tonight - was looking at a used 45-85 under the "love light" - lo and behold it appeared to have dust and possibly fungus growth (even for a "B" grade I didn't expect that). So out comes the wallet again to fund a new 45-85 zoom. Ouch ...

Thanks for the info though!

The marks are visible to the naked eye [....] Will be curious to hear your findings...
01-18-2011, 07:28 AM   #43

Ah, you win some, you lose some. A lot of these lenses have some miles on them, it's good to check the glass thoroughly.

Let us know how your 55mm performs...
01-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #44
Site Supporter

Well, I said I was sending him a Large Eyecup. But I have no idea how to remove it from my camera! It seems attached very firmly. Does anyone know the trick?
To remove the eyecup, place a coin in the cutouts of the inner steel ring of the eyecup and turn counter clockwise. You can mount the older eyecups on the 645D by first removing the flexible eyecup and then unscrewing the stock eyepiece from the 645D. I just tried it. I prefer the new one. It conforms to the face and blocks all peripheral light, unlike the rigid, older eyecup; however, I don't wear glasses when looking through the finder, the old may be better for those who wear glasses as you suggest.