Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-08-2010, 04:28 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Problems with used lenses?

Hi all, this is my first post on the Pentax Forums so excuse me if I ask something silly.

I'm here mainly for the new 645D because I feel it could be my next choice. I'm a (very) long time member of FredMiranda and I'm heavily invested in Nikon equipment so I've a couple of questions about Pentax lenses reliability.

My knowledge in Pentax things is limited but if my understanding is correct, the only one new lens specifically concieved for the 645D is the FA 55/2.8 SDM.

Now, I could be interested in the FAs 120/4 macro, 35/3.5 and 150/2.8 but they're all discontinued models so I should search and eventually buy them on the used market: I understand they're top performers but I would like to know if there are known reliability issues of any kind.

Thanks in advance for your kindness and time.

Ciao,

Emanuele

12-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Emanuele_C Quote
Now, I could be interested in the FAs 120/4 macro, 35/3.5 and 150/2.8 but they're all discontinued models so I should search and eventually buy them on the used market: I understand they're top performers but I would like to know if there are known reliability issues of any kind.
Emanuele
I have never heard about reliability issues with these lenses. They are all top rated; particularly the macro and the 35mm. I believe they will work fine with the 645D.
12-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #3

Well, I'm an amateur, so probably don't give my stuff as gruling a work out as a full time Pro. I used 67 and 645, and 645N film cameras, and had no problems. I sold everything when I went fully digital. But on the day the 645D was announced I purchased 5 manual focus and 2 autofocus lenses, all used. They are as solid as new. The manual focus on the MF lenses is silky smooth. Before I had the 645, I used a Hasselblad 500C with Zeiss 80mm, and 150mm lenses. Because each lens had a compur shutter, they cost double the comparable 645 lens, but I saw no appeciable sharpness differences in hand made 16"x20" prints. I think Pentax medium format lenses are a real value for the money.
Good luck with the 645D
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ USA
www.modernpictorials.com
12-09-2010, 12:46 AM - 1 Like   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your answers guys, really appreciated.

My work is almost studio/landscape at the moment so the 645D seems to be an ideal choice for me. Here you can see some of my recent works, especially in jewelry where I think this camera could really shine.
Just read the comment from Mr. Chambers about supposed hair scratches in an inner element of a brand new 55/2.8: it could be a very unlucky one of a kind coincidence but I'm really curious to see how it evolves and wondering if future, newly produced, lenses will be affected by similar QC issues.

I've asked for more infos here because an user over FM pointed me at some past issues with AF motors in some Pentax 35mm format lenses.

Well, afterall it seems I need to start to build up another lens line up.

BTW, this one would be my first Pentax! LOL

12-09-2010, 05:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Emanuele_C Quote
Thanks for your answers guys, really appreciated.

My work is almost studio/landscape at the moment so the 645D seems to be an ideal choice for me. Here you can see some of my recent works, especially in jewelry where I think this camera could really shine.
Just read the comment from Mr. Chambers about supposed hair scratches in an inner element of a brand new 55/2.8: it could be a very unlucky one of a kind coincidence but I'm really curious to see how it evolves and wondering if future, newly produced, lenses will be affected by similar QC issues.

I've asked for more infos here because an user over FM pointed me at some past issues with AF motors in some Pentax 35mm format lenses.

Well, afterall it seems I need to start to build up another lens line up.

BTW, this one would be my first Pentax! LOL
Well, the 55/2.8 is the only 645 lense from Pentax to have a motor. The 35/APSC lenses that have/had motor issues are the SDM lenses, all other autofocus lenses from Pentax are screw drived like older Nikon lenses.

The upside is that it makes them quite reliable mechanically, downside, AF is quite noisy compared to lenses with the motor integrated to the lens.
12-09-2010, 07:25 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Well, the 55/2.8 is the only 645 lense from Pentax to have a motor. The 35/APSC lenses that have/had motor issues are the SDM lenses, all other autofocus lenses from Pentax are screw drived like older Nikon lenses.

The upside is that it makes them quite reliable mechanically, downside, AF is quite noisy compared to lenses with the motor integrated to the lens.
Thanks for your prompt and clarifying answer, Ghelary, really helpful.
Since the 645D have an AF motor drive in the body (like some pro and semi-pro Nikon DSLRs) I think all should be okay now!

Emanuele