Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2010, 04:46 AM   #1

645D RAW Converter

Hi,

Has anyone had the chance to use the Pentax RAW converter that comes with the 645D and say anything good/bad about it?

Even better if compared with Canon DPP from the standpoint of converting to TIFF for further manipulation in LR or Photoshop.

Thank you

12-09-2010, 04:56 AM   #2
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do you know that you can shoot in DNG directly and manipulate them in LR or PS directly without any conversion?
12-09-2010, 05:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The Pentax .pef files open directly in Photoshop/Adobe Camera RAW, would assume the same with LR.

I've got the Pentax Utility thing but don't worry about it, ACR does a brilliant job then straight into Photoshop for me.
12-09-2010, 10:03 AM   #4

Original Poster
645D RAW Converter

Hi,

Thank you ,yes I know I can open directly into ACR but the question is how is the Pentax software?

LR and PS do a good job with my Canon too but I prefer to do the first converting step with DPP because I feel I can get more details from it.

12-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
Zav
Pentaxian

Er you know, what's true with Canon may not be true with Pentax
12-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #6

I'm tried Pentax utility, but it seem too complicated and for me Aperture better, though it understand DNG only and with frame of technical pixels. Now I convert PEF to DNG with Adobe DNG converter before Aperture. LR not understand PEF, same with new Capture One
12-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I really tried to like the Pentax software way beack when with my first Pentax DSLR and didn't like it. It was clunky to use, not as intuative and didn't do anything better than the version of Photoshop at the time.
I briefly played with the software again after laoding up the CD that came with the 645D (hoping there would be electronic manual in English to share with those stuck with Japanese only). I've not had an extensive play ..... but the opinion hasn't altered much from the original thoughts.
I'll give it another go over the weekend - but 99% sure I'll be sticking with ACR and CS5 64 bit.
12-11-2010, 07:55 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by matesa Quote
Hi,
Has anyone had the chance to use the Pentax RAW converter that comes with the 645D and say anything good/bad about it?
I couldn't fight the masochistic urge , and tried it. Stopped after a few minutes, shortly before putting my fist through the screen of my imac.

The fact that these companies continue to expend a cent on this 'software' (and I use the term loosely, and mean ALL of the camera companies) just blows my mind.

The fact that the Pentax shoots native DNGs redeems their sins completely.

I'll be interested in a C1 vs. LR/CR comparison some time. C1 does produce better colour with the Phase files.

- N.

12-11-2010, 01:05 PM   #9

Nick: according to the Press release and specs, the 645D is supposed to correct distortion and CA with AF lenses. Do you need the Pentax software to do that, or is it done in camera?
Thanks
Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by ndevlin Quote
I couldn't fight the masochistic urge , and tried it. Stopped after a few minutes, shortly before putting my fist through the screen of my imac.

The fact that these companies continue to expend a cent on this 'software' (and I use the term loosely, and mean ALL of the camera companies) just blows my mind.

I'll be interested in a C1 vs. LR/CR comparison some time. C1 does produce better colour with the Phase files.

- N.
12-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

- N.
lol - saved me writing my thoughts after a weekend spent playing with the Pentax Utility software ...... so I'll just go with "Ditto".

Has anyone noticed a significant difference shooting .PEF or .DNG when using ACR and CS5? Any reason to use one over the other?
12-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by gurtch Quote
Nick: according to the Press release and specs, the 645D is supposed to correct distortion and CA with AF lenses. Do you need the Pentax software to do that, or is it done in camera?
Thanks
Dave
Hi Dave,

Those are in-camera settings when shooting Jpegs (and both slow down the preview-generation process significantly if you use them while shooting). So basically, it's irrelevant.

If by 'CA' people mean edge-fringing, there's tons of that in the 645D's RAW files, and the "defringe" control in Lightroom cleans it up instantly and effortlessly.

I have no idea what 'lens distortion' is as they use the term here. Either the info is there in the RAW file or it isn't. Never felt moved to 'correct' for this in any way. You can control for some typical distortions (ie: barrel distortion) in LR and other post-processing applications, but unless you're an architectural shooter, I have no idea why you would bother, since these effects are usually small and usually undetectable on common, real-world subjects.

That said, if you want jpegs and these features badly enough, you can process the RAWs in-camera on the 645D, just like on the K-x bodies. It's a bit odd sounding, but it works really surprisingly quickly, and produces really nice files. Anything you can do in the external processor you can do in-camera. And faster too, it appears, as strange as that seems.

- N.

ps. When I asked my Pentax contact whether there was any reason to shoot PEFs over DNGs, he said 'no'.

Last edited by ndevlin; 12-12-2010 at 06:45 PM.
12-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hi Dave,

Those are in-camera settings when shooting Jpegs (and both slow down the preview-generation process significantly if you use them while shooting). So basically, it's irrelevant.

<snip>

ps. When I asked my Pentax contact whether there was any reason to shoot PEFs over DNGs, he said 'no'.
Confirmed my thoughts on the raw file - think I'll stick with .dng purely for archival purposes and in the hope Adobe will continue to support and develop the .dng format and for the ease of cross-platform/software use.

Along with CA/distortion corrections slowing down the preview, I believe having highlight and shadow corrections enabled will also eat into the time taken to show a preview and have a niggling feeling there's one more set of corrections that'll chew up time as well .....
Either way, I've got all the auto corrections turned off and ACR makes short work of anything that needs fixing in those regards .... or at least it has been doing so to date in the short time I've had to play with the 645D files.
12-29-2010, 12:24 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gurtch Quote
Thanks
Dave
Lightroom/ACR now has built-in profiles for all the 15 645D Pentax AF lenses - the 14 FA lenses plus the new 55mm DFA. Try it out.
12-29-2010, 01:38 AM   #14

I tried Pentax's raw utility and it needs work. I use LR 3 and PS CS5 but I do open my canon files in DPP when I want to get a little extra out of them.

Pentax's utility is just not very good. It is slow compared to LR3, and doesnt really have any features that stand out. One thing I like about canon's DPR is I can see where I focused by it showing me the focal points.

If Pentax were to include tethered shooting I would use it, past that I have no reason to open it