Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #16
Forum Member

I imagine the national subsidiaries are responsible for a lot of what needs to happen with new product rollouts, and that perfect alignment is not a realistic expectation. Also, getting the support infrastructure ducks in a row might be more complicated here.

Tim

12-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skibanff Quote
There is one waiting for me at my local store so I have to decide this week if I will take it or not. Do I really need it, will it work well with my FA and mf glass so I can put off lens purchases, should I use the money for other things?
I put my name on the list back in Oct so I was not expecting to have to decide so quickly. I fear if I pass now, they will be in short supply for a long while.
I have no idea what kit you have, but based on your location, it would be an injustice to all the stunning scenery you have not to use a 645D to capture such beauty.

I have been to the Rockies 11 times now for wintersport holidays, and the scenery is food for the soul, it has a very special place in my heart and gives me the will to carry on with the daily grind..
12-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ndevlin Quote
Does anyone else find it trifling odd that the first wave of cameras was delivered in Canada and Oz almost a month ago, and they are only now coming to the US?

- N.
Hi Nick:
Given the population differences, it seems likely that enough cameras were ready to supply Canada and Australia before the US. The fact that delivery didn’t start until sufficient stock existed to supply all those regions simultaneously leads me to believe: 1)Pentax is trying to sell these before the initial excitement diminishes; 2) Pentax is not producing the 645D at a high rate (in fact, I have a mental image of a single person in the basement of some factory in Japan assembling the 645D one-by-one).
I received shipment notification on Thursday evening and my 645D is currently about 2 miles from my home, sitting in a UPS warehouse to be delivered on Monday. A little aggravating, but then I’ve been waiting for this camera for a few years already.
I must admit I have some reservations about purchasing this camera, in that I wonder if the reflex camera is going the way of the dodo bird. Live view, improved electronic viewfinders, improved sensors (K5, D7000), Sony ά55 etc, hard to say what the cutting-edge camera will be in 5 years.
12-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomas Quote
Hi Nick:
Given the population differences, it seems likely that enough cameras were ready to supply Canada and Australia before the US. The fact that delivery didn’t start until sufficient stock existed to supply all those regions simultaneously leads me to believe: 1)Pentax is trying to sell these before the initial excitement diminishes; 2) Pentax is not producing the 645D at a high rate (in fact, I have a mental image of a single person in the basement of some factory in Japan assembling the 645D one-by-one).

[…]
Perhaps they are limited by the supply of sensors?

12-11-2010, 04:27 PM   #20

its just another digital camera with a learning curve.
ps. had mine for 3 weeks now.
12-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomas Quote
Hi Nick:

I must admit I have some reservations about purchasing this camera, in that I wonder if the reflex camera is going the way of the dodo bird. Live view, improved electronic viewfinders, improved sensors (K5, D7000), Sony ά55 etc, hard to say what the cutting-edge camera will be in 5 years.
Hey Thomas - glad to hear it's close! The delivery thing is wonky, because they are back-ordered here in large numbers too, to the best of my knowledge. Pentax is also a proportionally much larger player in the dslr market in Canada than the US.

You're right about production rates. There is a lot more 'handwerk' as the Germans would say in an MF camera than a plastic APCs mass-market camera. This is why a it's actually hard to get one's hands on any of the top-end MF backs/bodies. For the record, I think they will sell every one they can make, and then some. This will be the huge one-time success they need.

The real question is whether the system will be an ongoing commitment, either by Hoya or by Pentax's new owner if/when there is one. That's the only reason to have reservations. In 5 years time there still will be hardly any optics that can resolve at or above this level of pixels, and fewer still that one can afford. Also, there will probably be fewer choices in MF digital.

The real advances in MF now have to come in body design/concept. And also lens quality and AF accuracy. Pentax is at the leading edge in terms of the body and its handling. If this system works for you, it could be the last camera you need for a lot of years.

Personally, I don't think that the whole EVIL phenomenon has any traction for real photographers. The world on TV sucks compared to the real thing. The K-5 is basically the same size as a lot of the EVIL cameras, but with better handling and functionality. For consumers, perhaps that's where the consumer electronics industry is going. I, for one, don't care and won't follow. Nor will most serious photographers.

All of which is to say relax, enjoy, buy more hard drives .

- N.
12-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #22
Forum Member

Bingo. Unboxed. Battery charging.

Tim
Chicago

12-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #23

Hi Guys,

Brand new to Pentax (previously Nikon) and this forum.

I just bought my 645D yesterday here in Melbourne. It was a last minute switch as I was intent on getting an M9 with 35/2.

Here goes..
12-16-2010, 07:29 AM   #24
Forum Member

Today only: 3 645Ds in Chicago, that I know of: The one mjbelcher received from Adorama, the one I received earlier this week from B&H, and the one UPS will bring me this afternoon from the Pentax Webstore, which I didn't cancel quick enough. That one has to turn right around and go back to Pentax.

Tim
Chicago