Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
645D in vancouver

Hello, I have read all the posts here and the luminous landscape articles with great interest. I have just finished working in canada and got to see the 645D in vancouver at leo's camera on granville. They had two new in box and the demo unit for sale. I passed on it because i am from usa and when i called pentax colorado they assured me (with a lot of arrogance and condescension) that they would not have any thing to do with servicing a "canadian 645d". Too bad. I guess i will have to wait and wait and wait in the usa.

12-09-2010, 09:26 PM   #2

Arrogant as hell! All my Canon lenses from B&H are the "Imported" versions with international warranties. Twice I needed service (one in warranty, the other out of warranty) and Canon USA honored the international warranty. If Pentax wants to be a player with Pros, they need to change their attitude. What would happen if you bought a 645D in the USA, and it failed while under warranty when you were on asignment in Japan? Would they make you send it back to the USA?
C'mon Pentax!!!!
Just my 2 cents
Dave
12-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I looked at that 645D ten days ago at Leos when I was in Vancouver and it sure is a nice piece of gear. Why do the difference Pentax distributors not have some sort of reciprocal arrangement? I used to be a dealer for Pentax binoculars in Canada last decade and found them helpful at that time from a dealer perspective but if they are not from the customer's then it is not helpful to the dealer either. Perhaps part of the problem is they are not yet selling them themselves yet.
12-12-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gurtch Quote
Arrogant as hell! All my Canon lenses from B&H are the "Imported" versions with international warranties. Twice I needed service (one in warranty, the other out of warranty) and Canon USA honored the international warranty. If Pentax wants to be a player with Pros, they need to change their attitude. What would happen if you bought a 645D in the USA, and it failed while under warranty when you were on asignment in Japan? Would they make you send it back to the USA?
C'mon Pentax!!!!
I think it may have more to do with the level of support that Pentax USA (the U.S. distributor) gives U.S. buyers of the 645D. From what I understand, you get a dedicated support rep with purchase and expedited attention if there is an issue. Purchases from outside the U.S. do not help support that service so you really can't expect them to extend it.

BTW, Pentax USA is not the only company that has this policy. Sketchy warranty coverage on gray market goods is to be expected. Hoya/Pentax provides the International Warranty on all its products and is responsible to fulfill on that contract through their offices in Japan. If you buy in Canada, I am sure that Pentax Canada will be happy to claims under the terms of their warranty (Pentax Canada - Warranty Information), but don't expect Pentax USA to provide service for another business' product.

Steve

(Owns a Canada-purchased FA 77/1.8 Limited...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-12-2010 at 06:30 PM.
12-13-2010, 12:54 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
the wait is over

so, i understand now how the usa and canada companies are separated and it makes sense that they dont warranty each other. i just got a call that my usa model is in store for pick up immediately ! cant wait.
will test with already owned 67 lenses, 45, 90, 135mac,165,600.