Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

645D notes

My 645D came about an hour ago. Still reading the manuals and trying things. Thought I might post here any interesting discoveries.

Here's one, for example. When you set both cards to record RAW only, a bunch of menu choices go dim, being only appropriate for JPG processing. That's to be expected. What I didn't expect was that lens correction DOESN'T go dim. According to the manual, if lens correction is on, that data will be packaged with the RAW file.

Questions about this I haven't answered yet: Does it work with DNG as well as PEF? Can LR3 use the data?

But it gets better: Trigger-to-image review time is about 5 seconds (DNG) with lens correction off, but more like 13 seconds with it on.

Tim
Chicago

12-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
Another note: the RRS mounting plate spec'd for P645 and P645N fits perfectly in both positions.

Tim
Chicago
12-13-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Some answers: LR has had lens profile support for what looks like all the FA lenses since vers 3.2. But those profiles are in the software, unrelated to whether lens correction is turned on at the camera. So: lens correction off.

Tim
Chicago

p.s. Trigger-to-review times are exactly the same for DNG and PEF.
p.p.s. Battery takes forever to charge when you've got a new camera to play with.
12-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Time to preview will also be influenced by having Highlight/Shadow corrections enabled.
Shooting RAW+ or manually setting raw to one card and jpg to the other will slow things down as well.
Quickest way to view a preview so far has been.
- Card one set to Raw, card 2 set to reserve
- All Lens corrections turned off
- Highlight/Shadow corrections turned off
- Highlight/shadow warnings in the preview turned off

AC Adapter on the way for my 645D ..... looking forward to being battery free in the studio

12-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #5

Lucky you, I am still waiting for mine to come in.

This will be my first camera with SD so would you mind suggesting a card to someone like me? I am thinking of getting 2 16gigs. I wonder if speed will make a difference in the preview.
12-13-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shuttershane Quote

This will be my first camera with SD so would you mind suggesting a card to someone like me? I am thinking of getting 2 16gigs. I wonder if speed will make a difference in the preview.
For me - I'm using a Sandisk Extreme III 61 Gb card as the main card and have a stash of 2 and 4 Gb cards as back-ups.
I'll be buying another Sandisk 16 gb and maybe a 32 gb card in the near future. When shooting Raw + jpg, ~60 Mb per press of the shuuter sure chews through the memory pretty quickly!
12-14-2010, 07:15 AM   #7

Thanks Warped. I am going to go ahead and buy a couple of those cards.

12-14-2010, 07:47 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm using SanDisk Extreme class 10 32GB cards, with settings exactly like Warped's except I have highlight/shadow warning turned on (I've always found these clip warnings an invaluable tool for optimizing exposure, even more than histograms, once you understand how the clip indicator maps to what you can and can't do in RAW processing.) So far, with those cards and these settings, shutter-to-see-it times are consistent at about 5 seconds.

Tim
Chicago
12-14-2010, 08:30 AM   #9

Tim:

Thats good to know. I really hope they find a way to speed that up a little. I hear some 60 and 80mb/s cards are coming soon. Hopefully that will make things a little faster...then again the 5 seconds maybe processing in the camera
12-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #10

Tim - I was hoping for the Michigan Ave bridge photo by now!

I am sure you probably are already aware, there is a flickr group dedicated to the 645d which would be a good repository for your photo exploits.

the link is flickr dot com/groups/pentax645d/

We all appreciate your findings so far and the advice of Warped as the "time-to-review delay" may be the most difficult change to adopt from my Canon DSLR.

Matt
Chicago
12-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Matt, it's funny, I have a perfect view of the Michigan Av bridge from my 30th floor office, where I'm sitting now, with the camera on a tripod not 6 ft away, AND YET I haven't had a moment of time to do that shot yet, and of course now it's dark, and I still don't have time. Maybe tomorrow.

Re: time-to-review, here's how I look at it: It's 5 seconds of peaceful contemplation. Good time to ask some important questions. Did I really focus that optimally? Should I wait for better light? Why do I think that much sky helps this composition? What is this photograph really about? Things like that.

Tim
Chicago
12-14-2010, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Shuttershane Quote

Save your money and get the Transcend class 10 cards. I find them very reliable Sandisk is overpriced in most markets.

- N.
12-14-2010, 11:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ndevlin Quote
Save your money and get the Transcend class 10 cards. I find them very reliable Sandisk is overpriced in most markets.

- N.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Transcend cards.

Looked them up:
Welcome to Transcend Online Store

$75 for a 32 Gb card sure beats the $120 for a Sandisk 16 Gb card at the camera shop I've been going too!
12-14-2010, 11:30 PM   #14

awesome, thanks for that tip on the transcend. I ordered 2 32gigs
12-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Warped Quote
Thanks for the heads-up on the Transcend cards.

Looked them up:
Welcome to Transcend Online Store

$75 for a 32 Gb card sure beats the $120 for a Sandisk 16 Gb card at the camera shop I've been going too!
I got mine from Amazon.com for $53.79, free shipping. Here is the link:
Amazon.com: Transcend 32 GB Ultimate Speed SDHC Class 10 Flash Memory Card TS32GSDHC10: Electronics