Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2010, 05:22 PM   #1

645D Setting

Congrats to all the new 645D owners. Is anyone can share their favorite set up for auto focus mode and metering systems.
Thank you !

12-16-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
Forum Member

Too new. No "favorites" yet.

Tim
Chicago
12-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #3

Single shot, AF on the AF button on the back only, Manual exposure with matrix metering. I have also found the "TAV" mode to work well, but my rear-dial is FUBAR, so that's a no-go for now.

- N.
12-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No favourites as yet as I'm still in a learning/readjusting mode at the moment.

I shot a lot of film (35mm and 120 MF) years ago using reasonably good gear, but when switching to digital I only had entry level gear. I found I couldn't really trust the camera and spent a lot of time in manual, dialing in +/- exposure, trying to work out what I lose in overblown highlights or dark shadows when exposing for the subject .......etc.

What I've found with the 645D is that I can trust it's "judgement" a lot better than any DSLR I've ever used - so I'm slowly moving back in Av priority, not needing to compensate exposure as much, and even moving away from only spot metering and centre spot focus and letting centre weighted or full auto have a go.

So far I'm favouring:
- selective focus for portraits and studio work (with manually set exposure for the studio lights)
- Selective focus and centre weighted exposure for outdoors portraiture
- Centre focus and re-compose or selective focus and full-auto exposure for outdoors scenery.

I've not been using the green/AF button at all but haven't fully wrapped my head around what I can set the programmable buttons to do.

All auto corrections in-camera I've got turned off to save on write/preview times.

I shoot Raw to card one and card two set to reserve/overflow .... shooting raw + jpgs slows the writing times and just chews up too much memory.

12-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #5

Similar to Nick for me. AF on the AF button, not on the shutter button, with manual focus point selection. (Though I often MF.) Manual exposure with matrix metering most of the time, next most common is Av mode with matrix metering. Drive mode is usually continuous.

Similar to Warped, in-camera lens corrections are off; I shoot DNG and correct in Adobe Camera Raw. 2nd card is set to reserved.

In the custom settings, I've enabled expanded sensitivity. Also one-push bracketing since I frequently shoot AEB sequences for HDR / exposure blending. A few other minor adjustments.