Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #16

Smolk,

I purchased a new 45-85mm zoom directly from Japan (White Rabbit). The copy I got did outstanding in Imatest (have tested only 45mm so far) - I believe it is the sharpest lens I've tested - both zoom and fixed focal length, on a lp/mm basis. Will share my test results in a week or two, but wanted to weigh in on the 45-85mm zoom. If you get the right copy, it is outstanding.

02-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by ndevlin Quote
Lloyd has updated the review with more rigorous testing of the 55mm, and the results, unfortunately, are not pretty....

For those pondering the camera, subscribing to Lloyd's site might be a worthwhile bit of due diligence. He's an experienced user and tester who has a very broad base of comparison with other comparable gear available.

His conclusions for now mirror mine. Great camera to use but there are challenges with focusing. I have not tested the 55mm. The reports on the quality are very troubling. That Pentax knows about it and says 'it won't affect quality'. Is even more troubling. Not far from saying leaving the lens cap on won't affect exposure.

- N.
Hi N.
You may remember my post "I don't give a toss". Well now I do! When I went to the camera trade show and picked up the 645D, it took me about fifteen minutes to make my decision to buy it. Now when it come to lenses, I'm procrastinating like I was about to have life or death open heart surgery without anaesthesia.

You may have seen the Santa shot with my old 645 1:2.8 75mm. AF is not a big deal for me and so I'm feeling like I could survive with the 75mm and pass on the new 55mm. What has me in a bind is, my local dealer requires 20% down on a 80-160mm I want for portraiture, but if I can't get my hands on one before buying, I'm concerned about the same QA issues with the 55mm.

I think I may be answering my own questions, perhaps used 645 lenses may be the way to go. I invite your comments.

RJ.

Last edited by aeros; 02-01-2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: typos