Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
Forum Member

DigLloyd just posted his initial 645D impressions

diglloyd.com blog: December 2010

Having fun trying to locate that mosquito in the full frame. A kid with sharper eyes may help.

12-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Cool, I really hope my copy of the 55mm f2.8 does not have the same issues he wrote about. That would be a shame
12-17-2010, 03:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shuttershane Quote
Cool, I really hope my copy of the 55mm f2.8 does not have the same issues he wrote about. That would be a shame
Well, apparently he found out that even with that fault, the lens was producing more than decent results. Not sure what should be expected from a trully perfect length.
12-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #4

Lloyd has updated the review with more rigorous testing of the 55mm, and the results, unfortunately, are not pretty....

For those pondering the camera, subscribing to Lloyd's site might be a worthwhile bit of due diligence. He's an experienced user and tester who has a very broad base of comparison with other comparable gear available.

His conclusions for now mirror mine. Great camera to use but there are challenges with focusing. I have not tested the 55mm. The reports on the quality are very troubling. That Pentax knows about it and says 'it won't affect quality'. Is even more troubling. Not far from saying leaving the lens cap on won't affect exposure.

- N.

12-19-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ndevlin Quote
Lloyd has updated the review with more rigorous testing of the 55mm, and the results, unfortunately, are not pretty....

For those pondering the camera, subscribing to Lloyd's site might be a worthwhile bit of due diligence. He's an experienced user and tester who has a very broad base of comparison with other comparable gear available.

His conclusions for now mirror mine. Great camera to use but there are challenges with focusing. I have not tested the 55mm. The reports on the quality are very troubling. That Pentax knows about it and says 'it won't affect quality'. Is even more troubling. Not far from saying leaving the lens cap on won't affect exposure.

- N.
In the most recent Digiloyd, the old 75mm "A" does much better; it is disturbing that the new 55mm appears to be not up to the standard of the older lenses.
12-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
After seen Lloyd's findings on the 55/2.8 I looked closely all the full size 645D test images (Japanese, Russian, etc.) online. It appears what he said is true everywhere: even at f8-f11 the outer 1/3 region are not sharp enough for the sensor, at long distances including infinity.

On the other hand, these test images do show the old lenses, the 45-85 zoom, and the 120 macro, did quite adequate job in sharpness corner to corner.

Image-resource has a full big page of hundreds of test images, including some raw DNG files:

Pentax 645D Digital Camera Samples - First Shots - The Imaging Resource!

I notice they first used the 55/2.8 for the far-field "house" shooting, which did show clearly the edge weakness. Maybe because of so they switched to the 75/2.8 and everything is good thereafter, including the resolution chart and the standard "still scene".

It may sound absurd old film lens and zoom lenses can outperform a new lens designed for digital, but it can be true. In the Japanese test side the zoom beats the new 55mm clearly in a side-by-side comparison:

GANREF | ?????? PENTAX 645D ?????????????? | ???????????

and we all know the Nikon 14-24 zoom beats not one but several primes in the range, and my Pentax 67 zooms are at least as good as the primes on film.

Went back to the official Pentax sample image page, and interesting again that even they stated the new lens is "outstanding" they avoid showing any sample with it (could be for the fact it was not available or finalized at the time though -- the new lens might perform the best close up):

http://www.pentax.jp/japan/imaging/digital/medium/645d/ex.html#top

If you care about 100% pixel peeping Lloyd's DAP and other subscription based information is well worth the cost.

Last edited by leping; 12-19-2010 at 02:16 PM.
12-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
DigLloyd's conclusions are out, and he is asking to see anybody can lend him a 120mm FA macro for further testing -- up to now the only lens he has is a MF 75mm A. To me a 45-85mm FA zoom is also very interesting, since numerous online sources showed it is sharper than the new 55mm/f2.8 at the edges, for far away objects. If he is able to access more lenses he could reach a more objective assessment of the 645D system's AF accuracy including consistancy of the AF micro-adjustment -- and compared to the Leica S2 AF system, to which he just published additional comments and pages today.

I am sure he will pay for shipping and handling, treat your property very carefully and respectfully, and pass you other favors.

diglloyd.com blog: December 2010
12-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Leping:

I suggested to Lloyd that he try the 120mm based on my own tests with a 645D. I offered to lend him one, as I have both the A and FA versions. My own tests: old 35mm, weak; old 55, better but not the best( a disappointing surprise); 45-85 FA, excellent (with AF). 120 FA outstanding (AF); old 150 A very good; old 200 A very good to excellent( a good surprise); 67 300mm ED, excellent. I haven't tried any others, but the 67 55-100mm zoom might be outstanding

I haven't had the time to really complete my tests, but the 120mm macro may outresolve the sensor.

The FA 75mm also appears to be outstanding.

Last edited by Thomas; 12-21-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: addition
12-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
takamoko

I read articles from there, but i guess something can be said better. Like he said the pictures are saving 4.5s because of SD card. Its true that SD cards are slow 15mb/s. But you can buy now new SDHC from Sandisk 30mb/s or new Toshiba 80mb/s than your raw will be save in second. As for the sharpness of 55mm 2.8 its about corners, for me i like it when the pictures are softer in corners. So no problem
12-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #10

Thomas..

I'd like to hear more of your impressions of the 67 300/4 ED on the 645D. How difficult is manual focus?
12-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfotog Quote
Thomas..

I'd like to hear more of your impressions of the 67 300/4 ED on the 645D. How difficult is manual focus?
Very limited experience so far The 300 ED is, as manual lenses go, is very easy to focus. Very shallow depth of field and the focus ring is so smooth I can adjust it with one finger, no slack or play in the ring either. In contrast, I have 67 500mm that sometimes requires both hands to turn, it is precise as well though. So I would say it's the easiest of the manual focus lenses I've tried. I don't have any real test results yet, preliminary tests indicate some focus errors (but that happened with film too).
12-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #12

Hi Thomas,

I own the 300/4 ED and it's a great lens on the 67. I'm interested in the difference in ease of focus on the 67 and 645D. Some users of the 645D report that focus with MF lenses is quite difficult. If true, it would greatly diminish my interest in the 645D as I would like to use it with the long 67 ED glass. I have no trouble focusing any of my 67 lenses on a 67II, and am trying to gleen from others how manually focusing the 645D compares.

Scott
12-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Scott:

Again, I have very limited experience with the 645D. There is no ground glass/split prism,so yes it's harder to focus. For what I do, the subject is not in a flat plane, so a smalll focus error is no big deal. If the diopter adjustment allows you to see clearly, I suspect it's as good as AF. Since it's digital, you can try a few micro adjustments to focus and pick the best exposure and it doesn't cost anything! Right now I would say don't be concerned; if you doing a lens test, yes, but not for normal photography.
01-26-2011, 05:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Thomas Quote
My own tests: old 35mm, weak; old 55, better but not the best( a disappointing surprise)
Is the "old" 35 the A-version, as I assume, or the FA one?
Initially I thought you had good things to say about the old 55mm on the 645D, but you've changed your mind, then? And the 45-85mm zoom is better? The latter would not surprise me to be honest. (Sorry if I'm repeating matters, I may have missed some posts.)
01-26-2011, 06:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Is the "old" 35 the A-version, as I assume, or the FA one?
Initially I thought you had good things to say about the old 55mm on the 645D, but you've changed your mind, then? And the 45-85mm zoom is better? The latter would not surprise me to be honest. (Sorry if I'm repeating matters, I may have missed some posts.)
I think my first tests suffered from focus errors. I was taking shots of a flat surface, so focus was critical and errors would be hard to detect. The 35mm A is better than my first impression, some purple fringing; I wish I had the FA version. The 55mm A is also better (Lloyd Chambers will test the 55 soon, so we'll see what he finds).