Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2010, 10:51 AM   #1

FA lens not auto-focusing on 645D?

Hi all,

I just became a Pentax Person with a 645D that arrived yesterday. Cool! I have the new 55mm lens that seems to be working fine. I also found an FA 80-160mm on KEH for a steal that arrived today. Unfortunately, I can't figure out if its autofocus mechanism is defective... or if my understanding of how it should work is.

I put the lens on. Nothing happens when I press the AF button. Is there anything I could be missing?

Ben

12-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Inactive Account

The fa lenses can operate in both auto focus and manual focus, however there is no intuitive switch like on most lenses ( this applies to most 645 fa lenses). To engage autofocus, you simply slide the focusing ring outward. The words autofocus should appear and voila, af works!
12-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Nebster,

So your the one that got that lens. I saw it become available and decided to give them a call the next day to ask about it. Lucky you

Hope the lens works for you after sliding the focusing ring!!

good luck
12-18-2010, 07:30 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fosdog Quote
The fa lenses can operate in both auto focus and manual focus, however there is no intuitive switch like on most lenses ( this applies to most 645 fa lenses). To engage autofocus, you simply slide the focusing ring outward. The words autofocus should appear and voila, af works!
Ah ha! Thanks. I never would have figured that out on my own.

12-18-2010, 07:31 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shuttershane Quote
Nebster,

So your the one that got that lens. I saw it become available and decided to give them a call the next day to ask about it. Lucky you

Hope the lens works for you after sliding the focusing ring!!

good luck
Yeah, hehe. I started my search for lenses a few days ago and was getting a little frustrated with how hard they were to find. Then I stumbled on this (supposedly excellent) one on KEH at a price that seemed too low. Needless to say... pay first, ask questions later was my philosophy at that point. Hehe.

It works great, btw. No light to try some shots yet, but I'll experiment over the next few days.