Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #1

Sharpening 645D files anyone used PK?

I now use PK sharpener for my full frame 35mm files. I use High Res Digital Camera Capture sharpening. After I resize to final dimensions, I use output sharpening for inkjet at 240dpi, 300 dpi, or 360dpi, to suit final size of print.
I was hoping PK may also work for MF 645D files....has anyone tried it? I know sharpening is a very personal thing, but PK has never let me down, and I don't have the expertise to play with radius, percent etc etc in Photoshop.
Thanks in advance
Dave

12-20-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gurtch Quote
I don't have the expertise to play with radius, percent etc etc in Photoshop
I believe that the sharpening algorithms from Photokit Sharpener were incorporated into Lightroom and ACR around when Lightroom V2.0 was released. They are excellent. So consider using ACR for the same sharpening benefit. Lightroom also includes lens correction profiles for most of the Pentax 645 lineup; I don't recall whether ACR has lens corrections built-in or not.

M
12-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
I believe that the sharpening algorithms from Photokit Sharpener were incorporated into Lightroom and ACR around when Lightroom V2.0 was released. They are excellent. So consider using ACR for the same sharpening benefit. Lightroom also includes lens correction profiles for most of the Pentax 645 lineup; I don't recall whether ACR has lens corrections built-in or not.

M
Thank you. I don't use Lightroom, I use CS5. I can use ACR, but if it is like the sharpen in CS5, I would need to specify all the parameters like radius, percent, etc. I currently have the 645D set to make RAW files in DNG format, which, I think, open up directly with CS5 without going through ACR. Bear with me, I am obviously not a Photoshop expert (not even close!).
Thanks again
Dave
www.modernpictorials.com
12-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gurtch Quote
RAW files in DNG format, which, I think, open up directly with CS5
Nope, DNG files have to go through ACR as well. Sharpening in ACR is different from the Photoshop approach, some think it's better. If the latest version of ACR is like Lightroom v3, then it is a matter of adjusting 4 sliders for capture/creative sharpening and then choosing among three levels of intensity and a media type (screen, glossy, matte) for output sharpening. Bruce Fraser's sharpening model is followed here.

Try it in ACR and see how it compares.

M

12-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you again Miguel! I will post my experiences.
Dave
01-07-2011, 01:31 AM   #6
Forum Member

I sharpen in two steps. The first (or 2nd) step after I open the file in Photoshop is to use Unsharp Mask at the values of Strength=20, Radius=50, Threshold=0 with the layer in luminosity mode. Tweak as desired. This immediately gives the image "life" and "sparkle." Then, at the end of the whole process, I'll use the finest sharpening software out there: FocalBlade. You can sharpen both the surfaces and edges independently and there are lots of controls to fix halos (white an black) and much more. See this link http://thepluginsite.com/products/photowiz/focalblade/index.htm.

Good luck!
01-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #7

I don't use PK Sharpener but I do use Nik Sharpener before I send off to a print. My first step though is sharpening in Lightroom and how I sharpen here depends on the type of image I have