Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #1

eyecup has fallen off my 645d

I added the "large" eye cup on top of the installed "standard" eye cup and was field testing the weather-proofing of the 645d on a blustery Chicago day when I looked down to realize that both eye cups had fallen off the camera.

I back-tracked and found the eye cups on the ground and it appears that some adhesive or epoxy had broken its seal. (BTW, there are no threads to "screw" it back on)

Does anyone have any suggestions as I am hesitant to "super-glue" it back on. Without the adhesive, both eye cups fall off with the slightest brush.

Anyone know by what means the standard eyecup is attached?

Thanks for any feedback.

Matt

12-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mjbelcher Quote
I added the "large" eye cup on top of the installed "standard" eye cup and was field testing the weather-proofing of the 645d on a blustery Chicago day when I looked down to realize that both eye cups had fallen off the camera.

I back-tracked and found the eye cups on the ground and it appears that some adhesive or epoxy had broken its seal. (BTW, there are no threads to "screw" it back on)

Does anyone have any suggestions as I am hesitant to "super-glue" it back on. Without the adhesive, both eye cups fall off with the slightest brush.

Anyone know by what means the standard eyecup is attached?

Thanks for any feedback.

Matt

I would talk to Pentax and/or your dealer first. This is a quality assurance issue and should be brought to their attention. Besides that, the camera is still on warranty.

Steve
12-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #3

Is the big eye cup supposed to go over the small one, or are you supposed to switch them? I've done the latter, and I've had my big eye cup fall off three times in three days just wandering around the house with it. <sigh>
12-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Nebster Quote
Is the big eye cup supposed to go over the small one, or are you supposed to switch them? I've done the latter, and I've had my big eye cup fall off three times in three days just wandering around the house with it. <sigh>
I stretched the big one over the installed little one, and it's fine. I have a Japanese User manual, but I looked at the picture showing how to do it. Good luck
Dave

12-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #5

Original Poster
The larger one is definitely supposed to go OVER the standard eye cup.

As I was walking in my winter coat in the snow and freezing rain somehow both fell off.

You can see that there is some adhesive residue where the smaller one was attached. On an old Nikon film camera I have, the eye piece frequently unscrews and falls off but this one does not appear to have threads as much as it was glued down.

I am surmising that while walking in my heavy coat in the snow and rain, the combo of rubbing on my jacket with the wet weather caused the adhesive seal to break.

I would hate to send the camera in for repairs for such a simple problem; on the other hand, I do not want to cause additional damage gluing it down incorrectly. Thus the dilemma.

Matt
12-21-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Perhaps it was a combination of new glue and cold weather that caused it to get bumped/eased off through contact - hey, don't you get a direct personal phone line to Pentax for those cameras?! I am sure they'll be accommodating.
12-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #7

Original Poster
It appears to be a an issue for Hasselblad too - the consensus is to use contact cement or super glue.

As a coincidence this thread from November was resurrected 6 hours ago: Stupid Hasselblad Eye Cup - The GetDPI Photography Forums
12-21-2010, 10:19 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Is it me or does the larger eye cup that comes with the camera annoy anyone. I have it on and am having a hard time adjusting to it.

01-22-2011, 11:52 PM   #9
Forum Member

Hmmm ... after reading this thread it sounds like I'd improvised in my excitement at getting the thing unboxed and booted (prior to any RTFM of course as my manual is in Japanese). I attached the large eye cup by unscrewing the standard eyecup ring, putting the large eyecup on behind it (with the lip on the knurled diopter adj. ring) and then rescrewed on the standard eyecup with ring over top that.

The result works perfectly for me and the large eyecup feels very secure. Granted it covers the diopter adj. ring a bit but for me I only set that once ideally and leave it (in fact the more snug the better). Perhaps some folks need a deeper cup but this works perfect to stop stray light into my eyeglasses.

Of course if I attach the 2x mag. loupe I have to undo it ... but I'd have to do that anyway. Any thoughts on other potential downsides in doing it this way ?