Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #31
Forum Member

Despite of all the bad mouth the 33-55mm zoom produced a "aperture series" test images on this Japanese site, and the results are better than I imaged. Here is a 100% crop, after multiple step sharpening.

http://www.nippon-camera.com/s_pentax645d.php
Google Translate

P.S.: this site resizes images so what is shown is not 100% pixel even the files I uploaded are 100%.

Attached Images

Last edited by leping; 01-03-2011 at 09:42 AM.
01-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #32

sure, it resizes them? This ones looks uncropped, as all others do, too:

http://www.nippon-camera.com/pentax645d/IMGP1315.JPG
01-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #33
Forum Member

Sorry, I meant this Pentax Forum site resizes my JPEG crop uploaded.
01-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by phonoline Quote
Royce, that means when I set the lens at 2.4 (in case of the 105mm), the metering system of the 645d recognizes this, doesn't show it onscreen and in the EXIF but meters shutter speed correctly, right?
Correct. The camera meters whatever aperture you have selected on the lens. If the lens is set to auto-diaphragm mode, which is how I have my 105mm set, then you focus through the viewfinder with the aperture wide open and the camera will automatically stop the lens down to your selected aperture when you hit the shutter. But while the camera is metering, prior to hitting the shutter, the meter is showing the exposure for the selected aperture. If you change the aperture ring, the meter moves appropriately.

01-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leping Quote
Despite of all the bad mouth the 33-55mm zoom produced a "aperture series" test images on this Japanese site, and the results are better than I imaged. Here is a 100% crop, after multiple step sharpening.

?????6?????????????PENTAX645D????????????????????
Google Translate

P.S.: this site resizes images so what is shown is not 100% pixel even the files I uploaded are 100%.
I agree but.... You should no have to spend so much time in post to get a sharp image from a 40mp camera with no aa filter. What you are seeing is the weakness of the lens itself.
Have you ever shoot a M9 18mp no aa filter and even using leicas entry level lenses the dngs are tack sharp right from the get go
01-09-2011, 12:02 AM   #36
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kuau Quote
I agree but.... You should no have to spend so much time in post to get a sharp image from a 40mp camera with no aa filter. What you are seeing is the weakness of the lens itself.
Have you ever shoot a M9 18mp no aa filter and even using leicas entry level lenses the dngs are tack sharp right from the get go
I am making a personal opinion that has been never mainstream. To my tastes, to reach really artifact-free IQ looking at the 100% pixel level, the true resolution of Bayer sensors is only about 1/2x1/2=1/4 of the pixel count, or 10MP form 645D.

One consequence of the assertion is, even the optics could only resolve at 10MP level (design, imperfection, damage, focusing, diffraction, etc.), a 40MP sensor still provide much better and utterly more natural looking, because the hard fact that more than one digital elements are required to resolve one basic element of information with color definition.

Reduce a little bit blurry 40MP image to 10MP, and compare to 10MP Bayer sensor image from the same lens. There are big differences in tonality and "digital harshness", like early 80's CDs compared to 192KHz/32bit download now flourish in audiophiles. Reduced noise as well. There are pixel peepers and there are printers. Similar difference show in the prints too.

A year ago I prepared an essay with some examples to LL (with D3x examples downsampled to D3 resolution), but they did not like the idea very much.

In short, when the sensor out-resolves optics, you get better color transition and smoother tonality compared to a sensor just "matches" the optical performance.

I think I should stop and be ready for flames now.

Last edited by leping; 01-09-2011 at 12:57 PM.
01-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #37

No flames from me....keep up the good work. I am learning from you.
Dave
www.modernpictorials.com

QuoteOriginally posted by leping Quote
I am making a personal opinion that has been never mainstream. To my tastes, to reach really artifact-free IQ looking at the 100% pixel level, the true resolution of Bayer sensors is only about 1/2x1/2=1/4 of the pixel count, or 10MP form 645D.

One consequence of the assertion is, even the optics could only resolve at 10MP level (design, imperfection, damage, focusing, diffraction, etc.), a 40MP sensor still provide much better and utterly more natural looking, because the hard fact that more than one digital elements are required to resolve one basic element of information with color definition.

Reduce a little bit blurry 40MP image to 10MP, and compare to 10MP Bayer sensor image from the same lens. There are big differences in tonality and "digital harshness", like early 80's CDs compared to 192KHz/32bit download now flourish in audiophiles. Reduced noise as well. There are pixel peepers and there are printers. Similar difference show in the prints too.

A year ago I prepared an essay with some examples to LL (with D3x examples downsampled to D3 resolution), but they did not like the idea very much.

I think I should stop and be ready for flames now.