Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Depends a lot on where you are. For example, in Boston, I've never seen a Pentax 645 system go up on craigslist :-P

I've seen both in Toronto, usually older models cycling through the student population at Ryerson university as they do the film part of their degree
However it must be said I see far more used Mamiya, Hassy and Bronica medium format than i do Pentax But I think that is likely due to their system nature with the interchangeable back system. A guy I spoke with who used to shoot weddings with a Bronica had 8 220 back he loaded before leaving along with another half dozen inserts. he also had several 120 back but for a wedding guy 220 was more useful.
the Hassy and Mamiya stuff seems to have come more from Studio/Magazine work than wedding as it cost more and Studio/Magazine work usually pays better (or at least more consistently) than Wedding work where it's pretty cut-throat
I went Bronica for the size partially (it's not overly huge - I wouldn't want to lug around a mamiya RB67 kit) and for the price (though everything has dropped it has dropped the most in price)

12-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
With a one-degree, you'll need to find when highlights are lost. With snow, meter it and call that reading zone VII to be conservative for a test. Now set your exposure for two EV less (2 stops) than the snow for a zone V exposure. That should capture snow texture and you can always bump your whites up a stop in the image editor if needed. Scan 16 bit per channel if you can. This ignores anything else in the scene of course and assumes the snow is the dominate feature to expose for.
That very much sums up what I do! I'm reading "The Negative" as my Bible. But, development and different films can make things difficult.
12-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Makten Quote
That very much sums up what I do! I'm reading "The Negative" as my Bible. But, development and different films can make things difficult.
Yeah, jumping around with different films and developers all the time is a good recipe for not ever getting good with any of them very fast.
12-30-2010, 07:31 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I have used a Rolleichord for 30 years and a Hasselblad system for about 4. This fall finally bought a prism finder for the 'blad as it was difficult for shots with the tripod set up high to see the WLF. The WLF will be my default viewer as once you get used of it it is of little concern. Still easier than the groundglass of the view camera.

Never used a Bronica but know some people who do. My decision of which system was made easier as was able to borrow equipment and ease in easily and still can borrow some of the long lenses (250 and 500 mm). If I did not have that access I too would have considered the Bronica. Enjoy the square shooting experience, it is my favourite format. There are of course pros and cons on each system and each format, just have fun.

All the films from the major companies are excellent as are some of those from the smaller players. Portra scans nicely as does Ektar. For black and white I use mostly Acros.

01-02-2011, 11:27 PM   #20
Veteran Member

If you want to have a waist level finder a rectangular format is useless since shooting verticals is really problematic. I used a mamiya 645 with waist level finder for about three minutes once. It just doesn't work for portraits.
01-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
If you want to have a waist level finder a rectangular format is useless since shooting verticals is really problematic. I used a mamiya 645 with waist level finder for about three minutes once. It just doesn't work for portraits.
The reason I picked up a prism for my 645. But for 6x6 the waist level works fine for anything
01-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #22
Pentaxian

A WLF with a non-square camera in portrait orientation on a tripod is no problem at all. But for sure handheld it's difficult but not impossible.
01-04-2011, 07:25 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
A WLF with a non-square camera in portrait orientation on a tripod is no problem at all. But for sure handheld it's difficult but not impossible.

I have shot handheld portrait orientation with the WLF, but I'm glad I have the prism for that now because I found it very difficult as I struggle with the reversed image already

01-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I have shot handheld portrait orientation with the WLF, but I'm glad I have the prism for that now because I found it very difficult as I struggle with the reversed image already
No doubt. One thing with the 6x7 format and a WLF is that you can just shoot landscape orientation when walking around and also compose for a square composition and really never need to use portrait much. It is not much of a loss to crop to square. And since I shoot a Hasselblad a lot, I've become more comfortable with square when I shoot my 6x7.