Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2010, 08:10 AM   #1

645d in yellowstone, part II

okay, it was a nice bison with the mountains behind it. Then it decides to walk my way - I start backing up. I realize that my vehicle is partially blocking its path out of the snow and onto the road. I move it back 6 feet. The bison coukl care less.
With the 45-85 FA ...

Attached Images

12-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hsteeves Quote
okay, it was a nice bison with the mountains behind it. Then it decides to walk my way - I start backing up. I realize that my vehicle is partially blocking its path out of the snow and onto the road. I move it back 6 feet. The bison coukl care less.
With the 45-85 FA ...
It looks beautiful, but did you try a bigger size print? Because, at those snapshot sizes, a 645D or a compact don't make a hudge difference
12-28-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is amazing! Such a stunning image... Thanks for sharing!
12-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
Banned

That is an amazing picture. Is it possible to see the part around the eye in big?

12-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #5

Very nice overall exposure. Did you use any filters to get the sky blue like it is or was it just the time of day?
12-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
It looks beautiful, but did you try a bigger size print? Because, at those snapshot sizes, a 645D or a compact don't make a hudge difference
I am not so sure about that... I am not sure if a P&S can get this picture. Thanks, OP for sharing.... very nice.
12-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #7

A point shoot maybe able to pull most of this picture off, but the detail would be no where close. This picture (if not cropped) can be easily printed at 24x32

12-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

A p&s would come no where close to this kind of DR...
12-29-2010, 12:22 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What dynamic range? The snow around the buffalo is completely blown out, without any shadowing or detail. Was it excessive exposure? Could you regain these details through some kind of highlight recovery in PP? Have you tried? As for the detail, I have many shots from a 6 MP compact that fill my iMac's screen with as much detail. The tremendous detail-capturing capabilities of a 40MP camera can only be demonstrated by big enlargements or serious crops.

You have taken a good image of a noble but dangerous animal at pretty close range. That's what impresses me the most!
12-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #10

Original Poster
of course this image could have been taken with a compact camera and depending on the camera, it could even be printed fairly large but not as large as this. The snow is bright because that is the way it was - perhaps I could bring it down but then that would mean more work. The number of male bison I saw which I do not think will survive the winter was pretty high - a lot of cripples. And a storm should be dumping snow today.
12-29-2010, 10:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
What dynamic range? The snow around the buffalo is completely blown out, without any shadowing or detail. Was it excessive exposure? Could you regain these details through some kind of highlight recovery in PP? Have you tried? As for the detail, I have many shots from a 6 MP compact that fill my iMac's screen with as much detail. The tremendous detail-capturing capabilities of a 40MP camera can only be demonstrated by big enlargements or serious crops.

You have taken a good image of a noble but dangerous animal at pretty close range. That's what impresses me the most!
Yes that was exactly my point, the image is certainly superb already at this size, but the 40MP will not be noticable from say a Pentax K7 at this size.

I would be curious to know how this very shot shows up on a big print.