Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
645D first true shoot

Today I had a high end client. You guys will probably laugh but a good majority of my clients are new parents with babies. I have a good setup, my wife is a NICU nurse so she helps me setup all my shots.

Today I brought the 645D w/ new 55mm, 75mm FA, and 120mm FA. I also brought along the canon as a backup and for fun to compare shots.

Here are a few of my thoughts.

I don't like my copy of the 75mm f2.8, its not very contrasty and my copy backfocuses badly.

The 120mm macro is amazing. Very sharp, good constrast and has beautiful DOF. I ended up using this lens alot.

I found myself chimping less than I normally do. This was because it takes way to long for the preview to show up. This resulted in me slowing down but thats a good thing. I payed special attention to my light+meter and composition more so than normal.

The files from the shoot are awesome. In a few I was underexposed by 1-1.5 stops and they recovered perfectly with no ill effect. I actually did a test and underexposed my canon by the same amount. When I tried to pull these files back up the colors started to shift resulting in a image that did not look good in color. I also had a few areas where I moved my strobe in without compensating and blew some highlights. The 645D recovered from these better than the 5D MKII.

I am now back in love with the 4:3 format. I have been so used to the 35mm cameras that I forgot how nice 4:3 is.

Overall I am very happy. Focusing was spot on with the 55mm and 120mm lenses, system worked flawlessly over all.

Note:
I really hope they can come up with a firmware update that makes the preview faster. Heck cut it down to 1-2 seconds and I will be happy.

12-30-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter

no shots?
12-30-2010, 09:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
No release yet, so right now they are all private images
12-31-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
are you using the fastest SD cards out there? Sandisk Extreme III is the fastest IIRC...

It does take a while, especially if you shoot RAW :-(
Hopefully the SDXC cards will eventually get faster instead of just adding more space and slowing down like the current crop...

12-31-2010, 06:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
I am using a transcend 32gig that is rated 10. I do shoot in raw
01-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

FWIW, the Transcends are fast, but not as fast as the Sandisk ones (I have a few of the 8GB Transcends that were highly rated in reviews and then my brother gave me an Extreme III...feels faster even on a K20D where it should be limited by write speed of the body). The "Class 10" labeling is worthless...just guarantees a certain minimum. Also, the bigger the capacity, generally the slower it is too, so if you can, find ones w/ good speed ratings in MB/s.
Looks like Sandisk released some new Extreme Pro ones that are even faster than the Extreme III. Find one locally w/ a good return policy and give it a try...
01-03-2011, 06:49 AM   #7

why did they choose SD cards for the Pentax 645D? Isn't CF much faster? I own a Compact Flash card that can do 45MB/s and there are cards out there that can do 90MB/s. Why are SD cards still so incredibly slow?
01-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #8

IIRC, Pentax has stated that they think SD cards have a brighter future than CF cards. Also, they wanted to avoid problems with pin breakage that have (they say) afflicted CF cameras.

Essentially it's a bet against the future.

01-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #9

a crying shame if you ask me. They could at least have offered two kinds of slots, one for SD, one for CF so you can pick.
01-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phonoline Quote
Why are SD cards still so incredibly slow?
SD cards don't run as many data lines in parallel as CF. A CF card has more physical space so it's easier to wire it up this way as well (which is why microSD cards are much slower than regular SD cards).
ExtremeIII goes at 30MB/sec. Extreme Pro goes at 60MB/sec (faster than your CF card, but not faster than the fastest Sandisk CF cards).