Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Gigapix...you do own a MF camera, don't you?
I own one yes...

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Regarding gigapix contribution...I think I smell a troll. Four posts total with three of them on this thread and all of them baiting the OP?
Even if you have 7336 post.. a new member should expect other answers than such comments like you give here...

How long does Pentax produce a digital MF...?

01-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #17

Warped: Thanks for sharing your pics and experience. I'm still on the learning curve. Please ignore some of the picky comments by some rude people. "No good deed goes unpunished"
Dave
Beach Haven NJ
USA
01-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
the easy solution for no tethered shooting is to use one of those eye-fi cards in the 2nd slot and set to jpeg. No biggie. It would be nice if they add it via usb later though. I have it on my 5d MKII and I rarely use it so I don't really miss it If I know my lenses are spot on with focus then I don't worry much about focusing as long as I know I am using proper technique.
01-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gigapix Quote
Even if you have 7336 post.. a new member should expect other answers than such comments like you give here...
Flame begets flame...

You make some pretty strong comments of opinion stated as fact and dismiss other contributor's comments out of hand and expect polite?

My post count is a factor of the length of my presence on this site and nothing more. During the couple of years I have been here, I have seen many new forum members who join merely to trash the product. To those people, I would have but one thing to say:
"Find a way to make a positive contribution"
Trash talk is not a positive contribution.

Steve

01-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the 100% crop...wow again :-O

Pinup style is the final destination for those photos? Please write up a bit about the retouch process if you don't mind (slow as molasses w/ the image size? lots more detail that you used to see?). I've been meaning to try it w/ shuttershane's test photo. I think I'd need more memory to process that big a photo :-)
01-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@ Steve - in #4 the sharp point actually is the eyes, but you can only see that from the original image. That image (and all of the jogs posted) are generally softer than the full-sized images.

I'll take a look at the dropbox thing and see how I go and post a link to a full sized tif or two.
01-03-2011, 06:18 AM   #22

I, too, am thinking about getting the 645D. I currently own a P67II with seven lenses, mostly for the field, and a Nikon D700 for portraits and documentaries but would like to get a camera that can do both in high quality.
I think, the 645D is probably great for the field and I would guess, no professional digital MF today can provide what the 645D can do here. For the studio, though, I am still not convinced. Of course, for the price (around 11000 Euros for the kit here in Germany, minus VAT around 9300) you won't even get the body of a current digital MF model from Hasselblad, Phase One or Mamiya these days. Mamiya's new 645, 33MP, comes with great lenses and amazing quality but costs 15 grand alone for the body. Then again, those pro MF cams offer what Pentax doesn't: higher sync rates and faster cards. THESE two facts bother me a lot (tethering not so much, btw). There are no LS lenses available except for the older lenses (I think) and I am not sure if SDHC or SDXC cards will do the trick.
Another thing I know nothing about but which worries me a bit: will I be able to use my 67 lenses with an adapter (I know there's one) with full aperture control?
01-03-2011, 06:41 AM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by phonoline Quote
I think, the 645D is probably great for the field and I would guess, no professional digital MF today can provide what the 645D can do here.
No?.. and what about the Leica S2...

01-03-2011, 06:57 AM   #24

I don't know much about the S2 but I am pretty sure that it costs WAY more than the 645D. So, let's just say: "the 645D is probably great for the field and I would guess, no professional digital MF today can provide what the 645D can do here - at this price." ;-)
01-03-2011, 07:02 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Then again, those pro MF cams offer what Pentax doesn't: higher sync rates and faster cards. THESE two facts bother me a lot (tethering not so much, btw).
Sync rates could be an issue if 1/125th isn't going to cut it for you.

Card speed really isn't an issue unless you're a rapid fire shooter or shooting a lot of bracketed images. Time to show the preview might drag a bit, but if you're not chimping every shot then the buffer does a good job spacing things out and it takes a fair bit before things grind to a halt ...... hasn't happened to me yet.

As for the Leica S2 - Less resolution, smaller sensor, double the price. It is weather proofed, but from what I've heard it's not quite as good as the current Pentax weather proofiing. Still an awesome bit of kit, but bang for $$ it's hard to compete with the 645D when it comes to a rugged, fully weather proofed landscape/scenery piece of kit.
01-03-2011, 07:18 AM   #26

Not sure if 125 will be enough. I am not so much experienced in the studio, though. I usually set my Nikon D700 at 250 if I intend to have movement in the picture and I once did a shooting with the new Mamiya 645, 33MP, at the same rate. Then again, I used the 67II for a band photo shoot and I could just do 1/30th - but all photos turned out great (well, there was no movement but still...).
Question is, however, if there are LS lenses available from the old lens range or if my good old 165mm and 90mm LS lenses from the 67 system will work with the 645D (and an adapter). Do you know anything about that?
01-03-2011, 07:22 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not sure if 125 will be enough. I am not so much experienced in the studio, though. I usually set my Nikon D700 at 250 if I intend to have movement in the picture and I once did a shooting with the new Mamiya 645, 33MP, at the same rate. Then again, I used the 67II for a band photo shoot and I could just do 1/30th - but all photos turned out great (well, there was no movement but still...).
Question is, however, if there are LS lenses available from the old lens range or if my good old 165mm and 90mm LS lenses from the 67 system will work with the 645D (and an adapter). Do you know anything about that?
Along with the 645D I've got a 645 - never used or owned a 67 so no idea other than I know there are adapters so 67 lenses can be used on 645 bodies - no clue what so ever about auto eposure/shutter speed control though or if becomes all manual.
01-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #28

Here's an answer: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-medium-format-645-6x7-645d/126674-...ml#post1326015
01-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not sure if 125 will be enough. I am not so much experienced in the studio, though
You want more shutter speed but for studio use?? LOL.

Doesn't even matter. The strobe pulse is what freezes movement. You should be focusing on finding strobes w/ fast T.1 times and enough power to bring you to f/11 in your studio (bigger studios need more light) with your modifiers.

I've shot 1/60 in studio as long as the studio is dark enough. Make sure you can dim the lights and windows in the studio and you'll be fine down to 1/30th unless you plan on shooting natural light...
01-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #30

Okay, forgive me my ignorance but: if you want to freeze movement (a jump, "flying" hair etc.) in the studio using flash light (I have a Bowens system), it's better to have more than 1/125th, right?