Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #1

645D Initial Thoughts

Well I finally got out today late day landscape shooting with my 645D and my 75mm 2.8 FA and my 120mm "A" Manual focus lens.

I kept my tests simple.
645D on a tripod, 2sec shutter timer for MLU, ISO 100, F11-F16 manual focus on both lenses set at infinity.

Results.
The 120mm worked flawlessly sharp across whole from,
75mm FA, not so good, I think I may have asymmetry problem, meaning sharper on one side then the order, ugg.. More testing tomorrow under better shooting conditions with the 75mm which I thought for sure was going to perform well.

I actually called Pentax USA today 303-728-0284 and spoke to a 645D tech guy,
He said, unfortunately all of theses lenses are hit and miss, He has tested a bunch there and said from one copy to another you can get different results especially with symmetry,
He told me buyer beware with all theses used lenses floating around on the bay, etc.
He also mentioned you can send in the lens and they can take a look at it, though it may need to be sent to Japan, and still no guarantee they can adjust the lens.

On a brighter note, the camera handles great, sounds great, build quality is great, So smooth to operate.

Now if we can just get this whole lens thing figured out.
I have 2 more lenses coming tomorrow. the 45mm FA and a new 200mm FA, Not holding much hope for the 45fa though, who knows maybe I will get lucky.

I hope Pentax gets there act together, sooner than later.

Steven