Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #1

645NII Grip covering and leatherette

I just purchased a 645NII and the grip covering is flapping. Pentax USA says they don't have the replacements, nor do they have the AB-82 screen I want. I have contacted Pentax Canada about it but haven't heard from them yet. They still show the camera on the site in Japan. Any thoughts on how to repair or replace this covering? Any help is greatly appreciated.

01-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #2

To re-attach the covering, I'd try some epoxy you can pick up at a hardware store. It's relatively cheap and easy to work worth, just make sure you take time and ensure it does not squeeze ou the sides.

Try Japan Exposures for the focusing screen. I picked up a split/image there for my NII and was very pleased with product and service.
01-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I second Japan exposures, purchased a screen for my 645N and was extremely pleased with their service. Exemplary.
01-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks!

I'll check Japan Exposures. Strange how these things are still listed as current in Japan...but not here.

As for the grip...I checked mine and it was originally held on with double stick tape. I'm going to try to use that first. It is a bit stretched...do you know if a little heat from a blow dryer will shrink it back down or will I have to trim it? I'd hate to trim it just to have it shrink again later.

01-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #5

A torch will melt it and at the very least make it expand. The double sided tape will probably work, but will fail again if there is any moisture, or constant handling. A permanent adhesive is a better solution, if not epoxy, even super glue would be effective. Just stay away from rubber cement, it makes a mess.