Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #1

2 from yesterday

645D + 120mm Macro "A"

Last edited by kuau; 01-11-2011 at 02:08 PM.
01-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Chilly...
Nice fidelity in these scene captures.
Thanks for sharing them.
01-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

W o W!
01-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, what a great test for detail and dynamic range in a single shot.

01-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Where exactly are these taken? Simply stunning photos. I imagine ice climbers would go nuts over that kind of scape.

WOW.
01-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #6

Original Poster
In Utah outside of Provo Bridal Vail Falls.
Yes there were actually people ice climbing yesterday, but it was so cold out.
Im going to post a few more in a while,
whats the max width I can post on this site in pixels?
Because the first image is actually horizontal but got cropped.

Steven
01-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Resize your images to 1000px maximum in any one dimension and you should get away without having the forum's JPEG compression from getting a handle on your uploaded images.

Otherwise, if you're linking from a 3rd party host, then use the [IMGWIDE] message command using the icon to link your larger images and people can click on your small image in the post for a full-size version.
01-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #8

Original Poster
one more but taken with the 75mm FA

Here is the same image but taken with the 75mm FA F11 1/3 second ISO 100 and used Silverefex to convert to B&W
Tripod, 2sec timor MLU, I don't know but not as sharp as the 120mm. I think I used AF on this image, maybe need to adjust af micro adjust for this lens.
Hard to say, I processed this DNG in PS CS5/ACR no sharpening in ACR I am using Photokit 2.0 sharpener that was just released today.
When I look at the same images I took a few week back with my M9, they just seem sharper.
Any opinions, I realize they would both probably print very well on my HP Z3200PS 24" printer, yet on screen the leica has something.
Steven

here is from the M9 with a 75mm lens, I converted it to B&W

01-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Did you do any PP sharpening on the 645D images?

The M9 image looks sharper to me as well, even at the reduced resolution. I suspect it's their great lens resolution. Your 645D 120/4 images above look good and sharp as well but maybe slightly underexposed on my monitor.
01-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #10

Original Poster
kenyee, yeah, I could bump up the exposure a bit on the 645D image, and yes PP in Photoshop CS5.
and tried a lot of different capture sharpening techniques, where as the M9 image has minimal capture sharpening done at all and looks stellar.

Oh well Im not saying that the 645D with my 75mm fa looks bad, yet I was still hoping for more and I know it's not the camera.

Steven
01-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #11

Isn't the Leica image taken from a very different, lower, angle much closer and at a later date (ice buildup on the fall)?
01-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #12

Original Poster
yes it was taken about 2 weeks earlier, and from a lower angle, that's not my point though,
The leica M9 with there entry level 75mm summarit lens looks sharper across the whole image.
Keep in Mind the 75mm FA image I posted I took that exposure about 5 time not moving the camera at all just adjusting F stop and focus, the one I posted was the sharpest one I could get.
01-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #13

OK. Don't really if I'm the one to determine sharpness of these machines that are more expensive than anything I own but from the images posted I can't really see any difference in sharpness due to JPEG artifacts.
01-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery
I am not going to try and deny that the m9 is sharper but I really hope a few things were kept in mind.

1) Medium Format pictures will have less dof when shot at the same aperture

2) The Pentax is roughly 40 megapixels while the m9 I believe is 18. If you were to downsize the pentax to 18 megapixels do you still see the difference in sharpness? What about the opposite, upres the m9 to the same using something like fractals.

3) Do another test and take the same picture from both camera and make a print the size of 20x30 and see if you still see the difference.

4) Do some Raw sharpening to both. My guess is the m9 will need less and the pentax will need more. Do they match up then?

What I am really wondering is if you will see a difference with everything above in mind. If you do, is this just corner sharpness difference while center sharpness is the same? My guess is that those Leica lenses are just better than the old Pentax glass. If thats the case I really hope Pentax has a few good new lenses in store for us. I have never used or even seen the Leica camera, but they have never really been on my radar because of the lack of auto focus.

I am coming from a Canon 5D MKII and I am happy with what I see so far. I was doing landscape shots with a 24-105mm and sometimes with a few primes. My 645D has given me way better results here. But I still need to take it out for a good test. I am thinking about heading to Yosemite for a long weekend this month or next.
01-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #15

Original Poster
Shuttershane,

Your points are all well taken, Center sharpness is good on the Pentax especially on the longer lenses, where as on the leica it's sharp across the board, and yes DOF is more of a challenge on MFD,
I found I can't really go past f16 on the 645D, after that things get a little weird, on film it was never a problem though, F13 seems to be very acceptable to me for Landscape on the 645D when using my 120mm Macro lens, I was hoping to get a little better performance out of my 75mm FA though, I even just checked my 75mm FA lens with my lens align pro to see if it is back/front focusing but it's not, it's pretty close as is my 200mm FA.

Bottom line, it's the lenses, Leica glass is very good and Leica did an excellent job with the M9 and there existing glass. I can only hope that Pentax can make at least a few lenses like there limited series lenses, for me, AF is not important at all, but I understand that in todays market it's a must have.

I need to do some more research and testing capture sharpening on the 645D, yet all the capture sharpening in the world cant make edges sharper, when they are soft to start and in all actuality, since there is no AA filter in the 645D, minimal Capture sharpening should only be required.
When I shot with my Hasselblad H3D-39, same thing very minimal capture sharpening, sharp right off the raw file.

Yes I know I am picky and I admit it, and at the end of the day doing some prints at 24x32 i'm sure will look very good. It's the print that counts.

Steven