Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #16

I got the 645D because I'm a landscape guy, also starting to dabble in architecture and industrial. I shoot big and I print big. If I shot film, it wouldn't be 35mm. Shooting digital, I have always wanted to get at the benefits of larger formats but wasn't willing to spring the cash for Hasselblad, Leica, or other MFD systems let alone something really exotic like Seitz. Also, I've grown tired of the parade of issues with recent Canon gear. I have Canon kit that works but I've wasted a lot of time on it, and not been able to adopt some parts of the Canon system because they just don't work to the level I'm comfortable with. And still there are issues I have to compensate for... e.g. I have a digital workflow that is often processing intensive, and pernicious pattern noise that creeps into Canon files can a pain to deal with.

What the 645D offers me is a bigger file in native DNG that is also greater in out-of-camera sharpness, increased dynamic range including better shadow tones and a more pleasing noise structure, certain improved ergonomics (like dedicated MUP and AEB controls), and what I can only describe so far as a "look" that is less digital than anything I've been able to see before in my own work.

My selection of lenses so far is very serviceable... no dogs other than the new 55m which I returned. My FA 35mm, FA 45-85mm and FA 80-160mm appear to be solid, and I have a selection of others that are useful but more specialized. These include FA 300mm, A 120mm, 67 105mm. I'll no doubt experiment with others as I can find them.

There are some downsides that must be compensated for. No system is perfect, and the 645D isn't either. The range of lenses could use improvement, as is noted a lot... but that will take awhile, especially if the new 55mm is evidence of anything. Most particularly for me, some solid tilt-shift capability would be useful because I use it heavily for landscape and architecture work; the 645D has less depth of field relative to full frame 35mm which means I need tilt even more. Ultimately I'd also like a magnified live view focus capability with live DOF preview, as available on Canon, to be able to absolutely nail manual focus.

But so far the pluses outweigh the minuses for me. I couldn't get similar benefits in my work without spending a ton more cash...

01-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Royce Howland Quote
........ Most particularly for me, some solid tilt-shift capability would be useful because I use it heavily for landscape and architecture work; ...
Royce:

You can use a Zoerk shift adapter with 67 lenses on the 645D:

Zörk Pro Shift adapter
01-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #18
Forum Member

How would a system based on the only alternative, the best 35mm format DSLR in the planet for now, Nikon D3x (which in a matter of hard fact far exceed the cheaper Canon 5DII in IQ as well documented everywhere) cost?

Add all the prime and the pro-level zoom lenses (14-14/f2.8 or 16-35/f4, 24-70mm/f2.8, 70-200mm/f2.8 II, 35mm/f1.4, ...) it is much more expensive than the 645D system, if you already have some 645 lenses and/or 67 lenses, or even if you don't and you know how to shop for good used ones carefully and with some patients.

So far the evidences is the P67 lenses work great on the 645D sensor, as they should be, since they all worked in my tests with the 5DII sensor, and as just mentioned you can even get shift adapters to do either stitching or architecture, a distinctive advantage most other MF digital systems could not match. Besides, the D3x sensor only produces 20.4MP when cropped to 4:5 ratio most of us highly prefer (645D is 37.5MP), and since there are AA filter in front of the D3x sensor (even it is an highly optimized one with minimal impact to resolution), I have to get the figure devided by sqrt(2) for fair comparison, which further reduces the effective resolution to 14MP.

Yes the deconvolution based sharpening can partially recover details blurred by the AA filters, but at the costs of (often patterned) noise, color artifacts, and other unnatural looking. Blow up AA filtered Bayer sensor by the same percentage ratio and compared to non-AA filtered, the difference in tonality (smoothness in tonal transition) and artifact level is quite big, such as the "fine detail thicking" effect, which I may have time to demonstrate later, the type of artifacts you might never notice until you see a MF shot or the real subject.
01-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #19

Thomas, yes, I may give the Zoerk 67-to-645 PSA adapter a try with my 645D. I have the Zoerk 645-to-EOS Panorama Shift Adapter and so actually owned some 645 glass for use on my Canon bodies, before ever getting the 645D itself.

The main downside with the Zoerk is that it's designed for perspective control. This is fine for architecture work, and may be useful enough to me that I get it just for that. But for tilt with wide-angle lenses, there's no solution I know of (unless somehow finding a Hartblei Superrotator or some other exotic legacy lens). The Zoerk tilt-type adapter (Multi Focus System) is usable only with much longer focal lengths and wouldn't provide a solution for landscapes, which is really where I need a new native tilt-shift wide lens...

01-14-2011, 07:51 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Tim Wilson Quote
I did it for these reasons:

I'm continually trying to get closer to the quality of "presence" I was able to achieve many years ago working on my MFA thesis, shooting found cultural vignettes on 4x5 color neg film, and making 20x24" C-prints. Only now I want to achieve that working digitally, without always needing a tripod, and targeting prints in the 24x32" range. The 5D2 is capable of that sense, but not at that size.

I very much prefer working with 4:3 composition than with 3:2.

There's assignment work I get occasionally that would benefit materially from larger files.

Tim Wilson
Chicago
Practically my exact reason-set also in going with this camera.
01-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #21
Forum Member

Bought it because I wanted an all purpose MF digital to carry about on a daily basis so I could shoot more. 645D is packed with features you'd never get from the other systems out there and has a lot of things that just remind me of a Nikon but packs nearly the punch of a Phase P40+ at 1/2 the price. The AF is the fastest of the medium format cameras I've used or own now. Ergonomics - again it feels like a Nikon!

As for AF lens availability in the U.S. - welcome to the medium format digital world folks - lenses cost a lot and aren't something you can get at Best Buy. I note there's lots of manual lenses at KEH at a bargain - perhaps time we learn how to manually focus again ? << Oops! Sorry just checked KEH - Steven is right - times are dire in the U.S !! Apologies ...

Last edited by VoltMan; 01-14-2011 at 12:32 PM.
01-20-2011, 03:19 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wow, not a single P645 lens at KEH... But they have 37 P67 lenses at very reasonable prices.
01-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
When I heard the announcement of the 645D, I bought a FA 75 so I could sell if for a nice profit. I've put on on ebay twice now with no bidders xD

01-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #24
Forum Member

Congrats on your first efforts at arbitrage trading, but perhaps you should have hedged the buy with a put option on Hasselblad. Maybe convert it to a near term long position and wait? On another note maybe you'll qualify for TARP funding!

QuoteOriginally posted by Prox-iee Quote
When I heard the announcement of the 645D, I bought a FA 75 so I could sell if for a nice profit. I've put on on ebay twice now with no bidders xD
01-21-2011, 05:20 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Perhaps your starting bid was too high. But it can be a matter of luck. I sold a 3.5/150mm, with some regret, because I also have the FA version of that lens, and in practice I always carry that one. It sold for very very little.

QuoteOriginally posted by Prox-iee Quote