Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2011, 05:49 AM   #1
Forum Member

Interesting Accy. for 645D ?

Hi,

New to the forum and just ordered a 645D. Looking forward to sharing and learning here.

Noticed this new Sony HDMI monitor on DPR today -

Sony announces 5-inch CLM-V55 clip-on LCD: Digital Photography Review

Although 645D lacks liveview or tethering features I can see this possibly handy in some situations such as sharing in-camera shots in the field or studio. It also apparently has a "pixel" magnification feature built in, as well as selectable 4:3 ratio.

Sure - its not the sexy Leaf/iPad/WiFi experience but at least a solution to avoid the cuddle around the camera and chimp syndrome when reviewing shots with someone. The other up-side is it won't require a computer to make it work so its more portable.

--Brett

01-14-2011, 07:14 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I saw this as well and caught my eye. However I think I am going to get a eye fi card (or whatever they are called). They will be releasing an update that will let you go directly to a computer. My plan is to shoot jpeg/raw on a second card and set the eye-fi up to send the jpeg over to my ipad.
01-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I can't say about that Sony but my iKan V8000HD LCD display I use on my XH-A1 video camera for focusing when using a 35mm adapter on it doesn't have very good color. But it didn't cost a lot either. So that may be something to look for on reviews of it.
01-15-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
Forum Member

Shuttershane, I tried the Eye-Fi-to-Shuttersnitch-on-iPad route, but Shuttersnitch apparently can't handle the lo-qual full-size jpegs I was feeding it from the 645D. Frequent crashes. Eye-Fi-to-Lightroom-on-MBP works great, however, as long as you're not in a hurry. I shoot RAW to a big card in slot 1, JPG to an Eye-Fi in slot 2.

The firmware update you mentioned (not available yet) lets the Eye-Fi function as a router. Currently it doesn't and requires a Wi-fi network to do its thing, but you can carry a network with you using a portable router. This article has a lot of information.

Tim Wilson
Chicago

p.s. I'm going to keep looking for a combination that works to the iPad, 'cause that would be a sweet setup.

Last edited by Tim Wilson; 01-16-2011 at 08:17 AM.
01-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Saw that little thing as wel. It is small and widescreen wich isnt the best match for 645D. But it is bigger and you use the full screen when you enlarge the picture.

When just browsing with that screen you will have black bars to the left and right. Using the 4-3 ratio of 640 x 480 pixels wich make up for a 4 inch screen. (sadly enough the camerabody is big enought to have it build in, so maybe next time).

There are also 5,6" and 7" screens availeble from other manufactures.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 01-15-2011 at 06:33 PM.
01-16-2011, 01:30 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input guys. I wasn't aware of the Ikan and other brand monitors - I've obviously not followed home/pro video - a fact my wife keeps reminding me of -)

The Eye-Fi I was aware of, but not ShutterSnitch - this could work for me even better as I already have an iPad and pocket router. When I think about it the touch zoom and pan on an iPad is more useable as well. Tim - has someone raised that issue with ShutterSnitch about the crashes on large jpegs?

BTW - my application for this will be in the field (tripod/sandbag mounted) where I'll do stacked macro shots @>1:1 and can't touch the camera/tripod between shots (e.g. a stack cycle can last up to several many minutes) so its tedious leaning in to look at the camera back without touching the gear itself, let alone the ground shake from my fat rear. Extending the display from the camera by 5m or so is essential (although Liveview/tethering isn't) which initially brought me to thinking about the HDMI port on the 645D.
01-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoltMan Quote
Tim - has someone raised that issue with ShutterSnitch about the crashes on large jpegs?
I haven't. I suspect the fix is more RAM, which they have no control over. I need to do more tests--smaller JPGs may work fine.

Tim Wilson
Chicago
01-16-2011, 08:51 AM   #8

Hi! I'm use ShutterSnitch with 645D on regular basis with smallest jpg ( for me it's more than enough) with no any crashes at all.

01-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Tim. I had time to read through the full article on the Rob Galbraith site - very informative. Memory should be much less of an issue with iPad G2, not to mention the retina hi-res display. G2 is reported to have an SD slot + multicore A5 CPU as well - that opens up a lot of possibilities.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tim Wilson Quote
I haven't. I suspect the fix is more RAM, which they have no control over. I need to do more tests--smaller JPGs may work fine.
01-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Igor - thanks - 2 is a charm for me! Based on the reports from yourself and Tim I've ordered the Eye-Fi Pro X2...

QuoteOriginally posted by igorphoto Quote
Hi! I'm use ShutterSnitch with 645D on regular basis with smallest jpg ( for me it's more than enough) with no any crashes at all.