Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #1

Mirror is stuck up, shutter not working (Pentax 645)

I've had my Pentax 645 for a number of years and have shot hundreds, if not thousands of rolls through the thing......

While shooting star trails the other night in below 0 weather (i may have not let the camera completely cool slow enough..... yes condensation may be at play here) the mirror came up, but the shutter never opened. sounds were normal, but the discovery didn't happen until the camera would not advance the film. Thinking i still had an beautiful star trail image, I made sure the camera was kept in complete darkness until I could manually get the film out of the camera....... developed and nothing! thats when after taking a closer look i discovered the shutter never even opened. even with fresh batteries, the mirror is still locked up and the camera wont advanced..................

any ideas out there?????

01-15-2011, 02:19 AM   #2
Forum Member

by "fresh batteries" you mean ones that were not exposed to the cold I assume - do you have film in the camera ? If not I don't recall it would advance if the back was on - perhaps remove the back and try (making sure its on S and not C) ...
01-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
yep, brand new batteries not the ones left out in the cold. its on S. put a new roll of film in too. still nothing. it does make an internal clicking noise when the shutter is pressed and will continue to click if the shutter is held down. I can manually move the mirror but it will not stay down, just springs back up. its like some locking mechanism is not working???
01-16-2011, 02:07 AM   #4
Forum Member

eek - doesn't sound normal to me. sorry but your at my limits of knowledge and I haven't touched that body in at least 15 years (just now getting back into Pentax MF with a 645D). hope it works out though!

01-16-2011, 08:11 AM   #5

Original Poster
thanks anyway.......... maybe its time to look for a used one.
01-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It could be that the mirror damper has disintegrated and turned into a gooey mess, and trying to shoot long exposures might have caused the mirror to glue itself to the underside of the prism. My 645's mirror seal/damper has gone that way and occasionally the mirror would flip up but won't come back down, I have cleaned up the mess as best as I can but I am reluctant to continue to use the camera without seal/damper. Luckily, I can still use the lenses with the K20D.

Thanks,