Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #1

645D + 200mm FA

one from today 200mm fa 4 seconds f11
DOF is a real bitch on MF when using this lens.

Steven

01-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Now that is impressize. I have seen shots like this that look very 3d with leica glass
01-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice.
01-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As I mentioned on the GetDPI forum.....beautiful image Steven! Keep them coming and I hope you are finding some lenses now that work well with your 645D.

Gary

01-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's simply a lovely photograph, with delicious colors and tones. That's something sometimes forgotten when we obsess over objective lens tests.
01-17-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nicely done...no complaints about the sharpness of the FA200/4?
01-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
rlj

I found the FA 200/4 to be as sharp at distance as the FA 120 with even sharpness across the frame. The formula is different from the A version; the FA has 2 elements of anomalous dispersion (the FA 120 macro has 1 such element).
01-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

A very nice feel about this photo indeed, great composition. And this looks like a great lens.

01-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks everyone., I find the fa 200 a challenge to use yet put in the right situation I think it can shine.
Distant landscapes come to mind. This image I was maybe 100 feet away, yet I did the same shot vertical and had a hard time holding dof in the foreground so to me luckily landscape version was a better composition.
I am thinking about the 150 mm now
Steven
01-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Niceness.
01-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kuau Quote
Distant landscapes come to mind. This image I was maybe 100 feet away, yet I did the same shot vertical and had a hard time holding dof in the foreground so to me luckily landscape version was a better composition.
Steven
If I just see this composition I would have thought it is shot with a 45mm or 55mm wide angle, since this kind of shots are naturally "wide angle". The problem is you try to shot the thing from distance away and used a 200mm, naturally losing a lot of DOF.

There is a myth that digital sensors has less DOF than film everything else are the equal. Someone has to either prove it or burst it with a controlled test: on prints of the same size how much more blurring we are really getting from digital sensors, not just 100% pixels on screen.
01-17-2011, 10:09 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leping Quote
There is a myth that digital sensors has less DOF than film everything else are the equal. Someone has to either prove it or burst it with a controlled test: on prints of the same size how much more blurring we are really getting from digital sensors, not just 100% pixels on screen.
I don't think it is a myth Leping....but I think it is related to sensor size, not simply digital vs film (all other things being equal). Same difference in DOF occurs between large and small formats of film (4x5 film and 35mm film formats for example).

Check out these explanations, where one of the variables determining DOF is "format size", whether film or digital sensor:

Depth of Field and the Small-Sensor Digital Cameras - photo.net

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field

Gary
01-17-2011, 11:17 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bensonga Quote
I don't think it is a myth Leping....but I think it is related to sensor size, not simply digital vs film (all other things being equal). Same difference in DOF occurs between large and small formats of film (4x5 film and 35mm film formats for example).
Hi Gary,

Thanks, but guess I know little bit of DOF is related to, among other things, sensor/film size. I know I can not selective focusing my iPhone camera for sure, for example.

What I suggested is to shoot with the same lens (200mm at f/11, for example), 645D and 645n with film (no camera relocation), and then crop the film scan to match the 645D field-of-view, sharpen the in-focus area to about the same extent, and then compare the little bit out of focus area at the same printing size (or when the both are downsampled to the same pixel dimension).

The myth has been that even under such "equal" conditions, due to the non-linear ways photons interact with the micro-lenses over the sensor, the digital captured images will have less DOF looking from the same viewing distance.

I shoot from 4x5 to iPhone, and to help the MF DOF issues compared to 35mm I even modified a 55mm/f4 67 lens to make it a down tilt lens at 1.2 degrees (for vertical near-far compositions). On a D3x, 24mm, f/16, no problems, no tilt needed.

Best,

Leping

Last edited by leping; 01-17-2011 at 11:27 PM.
01-17-2011, 11:48 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Hi Leping,

I'm sorry.....I must have misunderstood what you were saying. I will try to read more carefully and think thru what you have suggested/observed below.

Gary

QuoteOriginally posted by leping Quote
Hi Gary,

Thanks, but guess I know little bit of DOF is related to, among other things, sensor/film size. I know I can not selective focusing my iPhone camera for sure, for example.

What I suggested is to shoot with the same lens (200mm at f/11, for example), 645D and 645n with film (no camera relocation), and then crop the film scan to match the 645D field-of-view, sharpen the in-focus area to about the same extent, and then compare the little bit out of focus area at the same printing size (or when the both are downsampled to the same pixel dimension).

The myth has been that even under such "equal" conditions, due to the non-linear ways photons interact with the micro-lenses over the sensor, the digital captured images will have less DOF looking from the same viewing distance.

I shoot from 4x5 to iPhone, and to help the MF DOF issues compared to 35mm I even modified a 55mm/f4 67 lens to make it a down tilt lens at 1.2 degrees (for vertical near-far compositions). On a D3x, 24mm, f/16, no problems, no tilt needed.

Best,

Leping
01-18-2011, 12:24 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Well, DoF is a controversial subject In a equal-size digital vs film comparison, I think DoF is technically the same for both if we use the same lens, aperture, and circle of confusion size.

But the higher resolution of the digital has us looking at the wealth of detail more closely, and we see where the best sharpness quickly fades to slight blur. This makes DoF seem very narrow... but it's only due to the great maximum detail and close examination that gives this impression. IMHO of course.