Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #1

Contax 645 lens adapter for Pentax 645/645D?

Does anyone know if this exists? I have a slew of terrific contax 645 lenses. I've looked around online, but haven't come up with anything.

01-18-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
Forum Member

Like you I have a few T* sitting there just begging ... but haven't found one yet
01-18-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
as far as i am aware the only cross mounts in Medium format to medium format are all from 6x6 or 6x7 lenses to 645. the lens registration distance differences likely make the others not viable
The other issue here is the Contax lenses all have electronic controls and the electronics would need to be reverse engineered and the adapter would need to be large enough to support this. there probably isn't room in the registration differences to support the adapter. For adapting to a smaller (ff or apsc) format this would be less problematic as there would be quite a large difference in the registration distances

this quote from dpi forums explains it better than i do

"There is no way to electronically couple for the Contax lenses to stop down during exposure, and no way to even stop them down manually, as the lenses have a fully electronic interface. This takes care of the others (Hasselblad H, Mamiya, Sony, Nikon, etc.). Also remember that the Hasselblad 500-series V and H are leaf shutter systems, so a Contax lens (with no built-in shutter) wouldn't work there, even if it could be coupled.

So, without a lot of clever engineering, possibly custom optics, electronics, precision manufacturing and a lot of money and patience, the Contax optics are really only for use on the Contax camera. Not that this is a bad thing--as I say, it really is a great system with plenty of life left in it. "