Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 08:17 AM   #1

645D-First *BIG* Prints: "HAPPY CAMPER"

I have read here and elsewhere about focusing issues, DOF, etc. I agree, when looking at "Actual Pixels" on a big monitor, one could think focus was missed slightly, the f13, f16 diffraction, etc, gremlins were at work. Well I made two different 24"x32" prints last night, and WOW--those fears are a non issue for me. Detail that is amazing. Focus on; depth of field in front and back. Yes, I am an amateur, so I probably am less critical than some, but I am a very happy camper! I used a 45~85 lens, exposures 1/80th to 1/125th, and monopod (the way I usually work). If someone here can guide me as to how to upload a full size file (big file!), I would gladly do so, so you can make your own print and judge for yourself. I will be spending less time here, and more time making big prints!
Dave Gurtcheff
www.modernpictorials.com

01-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice to hear! Image quality should be judged from prints exactly like you did. Pixel peeping at 100% is totally irrelevant - the magnification at 100% is just way higher than anyone will use in practice!
01-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Awesome. I actually did the same thing a few weeks ago and saw the difference between a 5d MKII and the 645D when printing large.

Last night I printed out a 20x30 (obviously cropped) for a client taken with my 645D. The details were stunning
01-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by gurtch Quote
If someone here can guide me as to how to upload a full size file (big file!), I would gladly do so, so you can make your own print and judge for yourself.
Put in on dropbox.com in the Public folder and post the link. Dropbox is free up to 2gb.

01-19-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shuttershane Quote
Awesome. I actually did the same thing a few weeks ago and saw the difference between a 5d MKII and the 645D when printing large.

Last night I printed out a 20x30 (obviously cropped) for a client taken with my 645D. The details were stunning
I can't say I've had the pleasure of shooting this camera or ever will until a few generations of it have elapsed. But, intuitively, wouldn't you just expect a print defined by more pixels to be better than one with fewer pixels at that size? I mean I wasn't caught off guard on how much more detail was in my first 4x5 format print compared to my smaller format prints years ago.

Last edited by tuco; 01-19-2011 at 10:35 AM.
01-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gigapix Quote
Put in on dropbox.com in the Public folder and post the link. Dropbox is free up to 2gb.
I will give it a try...thanks for the tip.
Dave
01-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #7

Original Poster
I never used dropbox before, but I signed up and will try to give a link. Since I sell my work, please respect my copyright, and use the file for your own information/education only. It should be a full size 24"x32" print. I used PK2 for capture sharpen, and PK2 240dpi glossy inkjet output sharpening. Here goes.....
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19106079/D439%20A%20sharp%20flat%2024x32%20viking%20...ow_IGP0298.tif
01-19-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
265MB 16-bit TIF download and 400MB in memory in GIMP which can only do 8-bit images internally :-O
Nice image except for the white specs of stuff all over it...lol. I hate snow...we've had way too much this year in Boston too :-(
Nice that you can zoom in at 100% and see so much detail. I did a 20x30" metal print off my K10D and wished it had more resolution...looks fine if you're a few feet away though...

02-01-2011, 11:32 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by gurtch Quote
I have read here and elsewhere about focusing issues, DOF, etc. I agree, when looking at "Actual Pixels" on a big monitor, one could think focus was missed slightly, the f13, f16 diffraction, etc, gremlins were at work. Well I made two different 24"x32" prints last night, and WOW--those fears are a non issue for me. Detail that is amazing. Focus on; depth of field in front and back. Yes, I am an amateur, so I probably am less critical than some, but I am a very happy camper! I used a 45~85 lens, exposures 1/80th to 1/125th, and monopod (the way I usually work). If someone here can guide me as to how to upload a full size file (big file!), I would gladly do so, so you can make your own print and judge for yourself. I will be spending less time here, and more time making big prints!
Dave Gurtcheff
www.modernpictorials.com
Hi Dave:
I'm glad you are happy with your prints, as I mentioned in an previous post, printing 44"x 50"+, I have had amazing results printing on canvas. All the credit goes to the 645D and an old 2.8-75mm lens and of course a very good printer. This is a great age in which to be an image maker. Hallelulha!

About those big files, if some kind soul would set up an FTP site, we could post to that no problem. Any takers?
02-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
+1

I finally got around to doing some prints and had a number of 18 x 24 and 24 x 32 inch prints done and absolutely LOVE the results.

Predominantly I had the prints done for colour management and to check that what I'm seeing on the screen at home matches what comes out of the printer ...... and it does, so happy with my colour management and won't change anything.

The clarity and detail, the contrast and colours and the overall impact of a print that big, that clear is a real knock-out. 24 inches wide is the widest my local shop can do on paper (they can go much larger on canvas), but they can go up to 12 feet long and toying with the idea of a life-sized portait print now.

2 a bit months of 645D ownership gone now and still loving this camera.