Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

Lens Review Challenge

One of the great things about this site is the lens database with reviews. It was really helpful for me to quickly understand the available lenses and read a few subjective opinions and comments. However given the amount of passionate discussion about lenses for the 645D there is very little reflected in actual reviews on the lens database

How about a challenge to folks to write a quick review on the database for lenses they've purchased or used recently? It would be helpful to note if its on a digital body or film as well. I'll start with my own once I've had a enough time to form a reasonable opinion...

01-19-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We just had one- over 300 reviews were submitted to the databases, and we've got 3 out of many full-length reviews posted on the homepage.

More of these are certainly to come in the near future

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by VoltMan Quote
One of the great things about this site is the lens database with reviews. It was really helpful for me to quickly understand the available lenses and read a few subjective opinions and comments. However given the amount of passionate discussion about lenses for the 645D there is very little reflected in actual reviews on the lens database

How about a challenge to folks to write a quick review on the database for lenses they've purchased or used recently? It would be helpful to note if its on a digital body or film as well. I'll start with my own once I've had a enough time to form a reasonable opinion...
Voltman: I will try to help. I presently have 9 lenses, and print "VERY BIG - 24x32).
Great idea....
Dave
01-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #4

Could we also please get a clarification regarding the 75mm f/2.8 LS lens as it relates to the 645D?

Here the lens review seems to indicate that they are incompatible, however, I have used it without issue (but with no lens "profile" in Lightroom/CS5) and diglloyd makes reference to the lens without indicating any sort of conflict. I am not however conducting scientific testing and I have NOT used it in LS mode.

Could we have some additional info what "the lens is not suited for the 645D" entails? Thanks in advance

01-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Dave - thanks! that would be a great addition to get your input. 24x32! Whoa - that should provide real life feedback!

mjbelcher - the lens database and reviews are user submitted. Not sure where the description comes from. If Pentax LS are similar to Mamiya LS I would think you could manually control the aperture (the description states no "A" setting - I think they're just meaning to say it won't work in any auto mode) and just use it with leaf shutter uncocked ? In another words fully manual with stop down metering.

--Brett
01-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Brett. Great post and I like your comment on giving enough time to form a reasonable opinion when using a lens rather than a "I like my new lens" review. I have one 645 lens in particular that has yet to be reviewed in the database, but I've had very little time to use it and I don't own a 645d. What do people think.....is it worth reviewing a MF lens when used on an APS-C camera?

Steve
01-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Steve - Of course its worth it! Although I'm working the other way around (getting 645D first) I've got a K-5 in my sights already. I'm sure a lot of K mount folks would like to see what older A series or even FA can do for them. Same goes for 67 lenses on either 645 or APS-C bodies. They make an adapter for both..

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
What do people think.....is it worth reviewing a MF lens when used on an APS-C camera?
01-19-2011, 10:18 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a 645 to K adapter but it was converted to Nikon by a previous owner. It'll take a little bit to convert it back but I've been putting it off for too long so I'll get to it.

01-21-2011, 06:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
What do people think.....is it worth reviewing a MF lens when used on an APS-C camera?
Yes but with qualifications. You cannot evaluate corner sharpness.
But as I stated elsewhere on this forum I compared 5 lenses on a K-x at 35mm. The 645 A 3.5/35mm blew away the Pentax-M lenses and kit DA lens.
On the other hand, I could tell as much just by the results on 120 film.
01-21-2011, 07:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mjbelcher Quote
Could we also please get a clarification regarding the 75mm f/2.8 LS lens as it relates to the 645D?
There were a few threads about using LS lenses on the 645D in this forum...they do work as expected...
01-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Does the 645D have built-in corrections, software based, for the 645 FA lenses?
01-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Not sure about the included software but I believe Adobe Lightroom has support for both the 645D (PEF) and lens corrections. See Lightroom 3.2 and Camera Raw 6.2 Now Available Lightroom Journal

Any LR users care to confirm / clarify ?

(I'm on Capture One Pro right now looking to move to Lightroom ...)

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
01-22-2011, 12:51 PM   #13
Forum Member

Yes, and, as always, for JPEGs only. Distortion and CA corrections. Light Room 3 has correction profiles of 15 Pentax 645 lenses, using parameters from Pentax.
01-22-2011, 11:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Ha! I use Capture One (although it now no longer imports my scanned files, for unclear reasons) and Aperture... not LightRoom.
Yet I am considering Photoshop, especially because of the context-aware brushes, which is nice, as there is too much dust in my house. Does Photoshop have these corrections? I imagine it would, if LR does. And does it then also function on anything else but JPEG?

Last edited by Smolk; 01-23-2011 at 04:14 PM.
01-23-2011, 12:17 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
C1Pro is great if you use a Phase or Leaf back. I'm looking at PS LR combo as there's simply too much collective knowledge available to pass up on as well as add-ons and filters for it. Haven't used Photoshop in a while and never LR, I will load up the trial once I get my spare Mac back. Afraid to load anything on my main Pro machine though as its working fine with C1 right now.

Ha! I use Capture One (although it now no longer imports my scanned files, for unclear reasons) and Aperture... nor LightRoom.
Yet I am considering Photoshop, especially because of the context-aware brushes, which is nice, as there is too much dust in my house. Does Photoshop have these corrections? I imagine it would, if LR does. And does it then also function on anything else but JPEG?