Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2011, 03:47 AM   #1

Pentax 67 body and lenses don't / won't match

Hello, I've just joined the forum, can I get some clarifications or help? I've just picked up a new to me Pentax 67 plus lenses.. for some reason I'm unable to put the lenses onto the camera. I'm wondering if some Pentax 67 - 6x7 ? lenses are of a different configuration and not compatible with all bodies but only compatible with specific Pentax bodies... ? I'm stumped..

Here's a link to the thread I started regarding this situation. One of the Pentax forum members "mysteryonion" has commented in that thread. It covers some of the comments and possible solutions I've tried so far. I don't know if I have the 'wrong' body / lens combo' or not. Any comments here or in the thread are appreciated.

thanks Jan

Flickr: Discussing changing lenses in Pentax 67 (6x7, 67, 67II)

02-01-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Very strange. All generations of the 6x7 lenses are the same mount. The 6x7 body has an inner and outer bayonet mount. Most lenses are the inner. What lenses don't mount? Maybe if you upload a closeup picture of the camera body and lens mounts it might be worth a thousand words?
02-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #3

Original Poster
Tuco, I'll take some shots of the two lenses, one is a "75mm Super Takumar 4.5" the other is a "165mm SMC 2.8" The camera body is a "67"
02-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

My 67 bodies vary in how the lenses fit. My two Asahi bodies are machined fairly well in the lens mount area, as evidenced by the fit of the lens to them. However, my Honeywell body has problems when mounting my 45mm and a couple of others. Unfortunately, there is some manufacturing variance in the lens mount on the P67s. You could have one that is just too far out of tolerence to be usable for the lenses you tried. There could be some lenses that were machined a bit on the small side that will fit your body. Just a guess.

02-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #5

Jan -- I saw your post over on flickr -- and I'm stumped, too -- I have the 75 - but the 67II -- it mounts just the way you would mount on an every day SLR -- I think you have the 67 - it should line up (red dot to red dot - and then turn clockwise (when you're look right at the lens) - lock - and ready to go. Something is not right for sure.
02-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #6

Original Poster
I've uploaded a video to youtube showing the lens, camera and attempt to mount and lock the lens to the camera body. I'm attaching a couple of shots showing the lens flanges, camera body and chain

LINK:
Attached Images

02-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #7
Pentaxian

When you mounted the lens, you didn't turn it with much torque. You just wiggled it. There is resistance and a some torque involved. I take it even with a little oomph applied it still doesn't mount? And do any other lenses mount?

Also, remove the prism. At the 11 O'clock position (as viewed looking at the camera mount) is an aperture tab. Can you move that with your finger and see the tab on the chain move (as seen in the second picture)?

Last edited by tuco; 02-01-2011 at 08:37 PM.
02-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #8

Original Poster
@Tuco even though it appeared little "oomph" was applied in the video I have used some on previous tries. This was just to show the lens gets stopped from engaging in the bayonet mount. It's like there's a block somewhere. None of the flanges look warped or damaged. This is why I have a feeling it's not the mount but... perhaps it is? I've used bayonet mounts before and I know what stiff mounts can be like. I've 50mm Distagon that needs a little coaxing when used with my 'blad 500 c/m.

About removing the prism, I tried once again with the prism removed, still the same. Regarding the tab on the chain, I can move it horizontally the full length of the chain's slot using the aperture tab you described inside the camera body lens mount.

02-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jan normandale Quote
@Tuco even though it appeared little "oomph" was applied in the video I have used some on previous tries. This was just to show the lens gets stopped from engaging in the bayonet mount. It's like there's a block somewhere. None of the flanges look warped or damaged. This is why I have a feeling it's not the mount but... perhaps it is? I've used bayonet mounts before and I know what stiff mounts can be like. I've 50mm Distagon that needs a little coaxing when used with my 'blad 500 c/m.

About removing the prism, I tried once again with the prism removed, still the same. Regarding the tab on the chain, I can move it horizontally the full length of the chain's slot using the aperture tab you described inside the camera body lens mount.

Hello Jan,

Problems with your 67, problem with your Fuji at least you still have the Hasselblad to go for...

ps: I have not sent my GW690 to Camera Wiz yet, but I fell for a GSW690 to complete the evil pair of big black tanks.

Cheers,

Luc
02-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Sorry to hear that. It is starting to look like what desertscape mentioned about a tolerance problem.
02-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Sorry to hear that. It is starting to look like what desertscape mentioned about a tolerance problem.
Tuco, thanks for the help it was appreciated! I think I'd better contact KEH at this point and see what they suggest.
02-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
Hello Jan,

Problems with your 67, problem with your Fuji at least you still have the Hasselblad to go for...

ps: I have not sent my GW690 to Camera Wiz yet, but I fell for a GSW690 to complete the evil pair of big black tanks.

Cheers,

Luc
Luc, I hadn't thought of it that way until you mentioned it... I better buy a rabbit foot or a four leaf clover! About your new Fuji... good call!
02-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #13
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Hey! Did you try holding down the lens release button THEN twist the lens? It appears that the older/worn mounts have enough play that they hang on the lens mount plate screw!!!

Above is an example of how close the release pin and screw hole are to one another.

This too is a 75mm

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 02-03-2011 at 06:07 PM.
02-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #14

Original Poster
@mysteryonion... yes I did try holding the release tab down when attempting to engage the bayonet mount. I had no luck with several tries at that solution. Looking at your image I can see how close it could be.

I spoke with KEH and they said send it in. I've boxed the lens and it's waiting pick up by courier.

Looking at this I'm wondering if I'd tried to eyeball the matching of the pin and the slot might have made a difference. I just held it down and it still wouldn't engage the bayonets however the pin did stay flat to the body flange surface.

I'll post results here after KEH have a go. Thanks to all who took time. It was appreciated.

cheers Jan
06-20-2016, 03:02 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by jan normandale Quote
@mysteryonion... yes I did try holding the release tab down when attempting to engage the bayonet mount. I had no luck with several tries at that solution. Looking at your image I can see how close it could be.

I spoke with KEH and they said send it in. I've boxed the lens and it's waiting pick up by courier.

Looking at this I'm wondering if I'd tried to eyeball the matching of the pin and the slot might have made a difference. I just held it down and it still wouldn't engage the bayonets however the pin did stay flat to the body flange surface.

I'll post results here after KEH have a go. Thanks to all who took time. It was appreciated.

cheers Jan
Jan was KEH able to fix this issue. I am having the same thing on my 67 from KEH?