Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2011, 04:42 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Frame spacing on P67II

I find the frame spacing on my Pentax 67II to be a little bit on the narrow side at times, which makes it hard to scan the frames at the ends of stips. Either I'll have to let the film holder (Epson V700) crop a little bit of the long end, or I'll have to put the film so close to the edge of the holder that any curl will ruin the flatness (and thus ruin sharpness locally).

So, is it possible to adjust the spacing? I understand that the gearing is fixed, but perhaps you could adjust the stop for the advancing lever. There is plenty of space on both sides of the film, so theoretically it wouldn't be any problem. Except maybe if the shutter is what actually makes the lever stop.

Any ideas?

02-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure about changing frame spacing but one thing you should check out is the 120 film holder from betterscanning. It holds the film differently than the stock holder so you don't have to have the edge of the frame under the edge of the holder.
02-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Not sure about changing frame spacing but one thing you should check out is the 120 film holder from betterscanning. It holds the film differently than the stock holder so you don't have to have the edge of the frame under the edge of the holder.
Yes, I've been thinking about that too. But there is really nothing wrong with the stock holder for 120 film. The holder for 135 film is a different story; pure crap!
Changing the frame spacing would also make it easier to cut the strips apart.
02-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

What is your frame spacing typically?
My 67 ends up with about 1/4 inch between frames and I us a little paper cutter to cut my film. I have a 67 and not the 67II so maybe they are different?

02-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
What is your frame spacing typically?
My 67 ends up with about 1/4 inch between frames and I us a little paper cutter to cut my film. I have a 67 and not the 67II so maybe they are different?
Sometimes as little as 2 mm or so, but probably closer to 3-4 mm most of the time. 1/4" would certainly be nice!

Edit: Hmm, maybe I could manipulate the takeup spool so that it gets a little bit larger in diameter. That should probably do the trick, as long as the film stays under the "rims" when spooled up completely.
02-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Has your 67II always had narrow frame spacing? I wonder if a CLA might solve that?
02-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Has your 67II always had narrow frame spacing? I wonder if a CLA might solve that?
I've only shot like 5 rolls with it yet, but it has been quite consistent with the spacing. I have no idea of how much the camera has been used before, but everything seems to be in good shape. Also, I don't think (but I could be wrong) that such a thing would change with time or wear, because I suppose the mechanism is geared.

My previous 6x7 camera, a Fujica GM670, had about the same frame spacing too. It's not a big problem, but if there's a fix it would be nice.
02-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
My 67 has random frame spacing, but it's around 1/4". I believe that the 67II has revised (closer and more accurate) frame spacing, this allows 21 frames with 220 vs. the 20 frames the 67/6x7 give.