Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2011, 06:31 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Scanner, scanning af 6x7 film

I've got an Epson Perfection 3200 Photo. It can't deliver shapness and resolution enough for my 6x7 negs/slides.
The film holder is not ver good. The negs sems to be bending - so they can't really be sharp, can they? I put the film directly on the glass instead. making the scans very vulnerable to dust etc. But it still isn't very good. I) wnat my 6x7 images to be sharper and have better resolution than my Pentax K-7 shots - but they are not. HAVE YOU GOT SOME ADVICE FOR ME, PLEASE? Which scanner should I buy instead OF THE EPSON 3200?

MVH
Jens

Last edited by Photodana; 02-06-2011 at 06:38 AM.
02-06-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use a Nikon Coolscan 9000 with the glass carrier or the "stretch" carrier not desigend for glass with one sheet of glass from a third party company added. It is still somewhat challenging to scan large negatives, and dust is a constant foe in black and white regardless of the scanning system. With two sheets of glass, moiré patterns can also be a problem. There are said to be techniques in Photoshop for dealing with them, but I usually just move the negative and rescan.

I don't know the Epson, but the glass and flatness of the negative are not the only issue with all-purpose scanners. Sometimes there is no autofocus, either.
02-06-2011, 06:55 AM   #3

Mm, tough. I am not an expert on this but I get the best and fastest results (3200 dpi in less than two min) with a Flextight x5 from Hasselblad (Imacon) which I rent (at Calumet here in Hamburg, Germany). It's very expensive so purchasing it is probably not an option.
The Nikon Coolscan 9000 is INCREDIBLY slow.

Last edited by phonoline; 02-06-2011 at 07:05 AM.
02-06-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phonoline Quote
Mm, tough. I am not an expert on this but I get the best and fastest results (3200 dpi in less than two min) with a Flextight x5 from Hasselblad (Imacon) which I rent (at Calumet here in Hamburg, Germany). It's very expensive so purchasing it is probably not an option.
The Nikon Coolscan 9000 is INCREDIBLY slow.
The speed of the Coolscan depends upon the settings and the computer to which it is attached, but the fact is that these are relatively large negatives and if you scan them at higher resolutions it takes time, especially it you use the digital processing features. In any case, I don't sit and watch it much any more, so the speed doesn't bother me much. It does not seem like it takes longer than 2 minutes to scan a 645 neg at 4000 dpi, but that may be because I use 8 bits and minimal processing. I've become less and less convinced that true 4000 dpi brings much to the 6x7 party over slightly lower res., and it makes a huge file.

02-06-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I'm surprised you're not getting acceptable results from the Epson 3200. I used a Epson 2450 for many years and got good results with both medium and large format film. In any case, give the Epson V700 or V750 a look. I bought the V750 and it's a big step up from the 2450. Better quality and adjustable height film holders, much better dynamic range and scanning speed. You can also purchase 3rd party film holders with anti-Newton glass inserts which will hold your film very flat. Here's an example of a 100% crop from a 6x7 color transparency I scanned with the V750 (with no additional sharpening or adjustments in Photoshop...straight from the scanner).

Here's a link to reviews of the V700 and V750, including a comparison to the Nikon Coolscan 9000.

EPSON V700 review

Wish I could afford a Flextight scanner......that's my dream setup!

Gary
Attached Images

Last edited by bensonga; 02-06-2011 at 12:15 PM.
02-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Better Scanning does make the variable height, anti-Newton ring glass film holders for the Epson 3200. Might be worth a try.

Holders and Products for the Epson 3200
02-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Here's the full image the crop was taken from.....it makes a very nice 13x19 inch print (the largest I've gone with my Epson 3880). I did some testing with the different height settings of the Epson V700/750 film holders to find the optimal setting and it paid off with sharper scans and prints.

Gary
Attached Images

02-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I scan 6x7 negatives on my Epson V700. Depending on the film base, sagging can be an issue. One option is to mount the negative upside down (opposite of what Epson suggests) with the emulsion facing the sensor. Beyond the sag, there is the general issue of focus. I am able to get decent results using the available height adjustment for the V700 film holders, but feel that the best solution is probably the variable height holders from Better Scanning (HERE).

Steve

02-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

You didn't mention your scanning approach. Are you using the scanning software to produce the final results in tone and sharpness or scanning with that stuff turned off, getting all the tone range it can and producing a "scanned raw file" which is flat and dull then needs post processing for the final results?

For the latter method, sharpness of your final results from scanning is also a function of your sharpening methods in post processing in addition to scanner focus and quality of the scanner.