Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Love My 645 But...

Don't quite know for sure if this will be the right forum for my dilemma, but...I am a user and lover of a Pentax 645. And I also use a Mamiya RZ67. I love film photography, but I'm in a rural area, and lately it's just become so much of a pain to get film processed that I'm considering trading in (selling) the RZ to get a Pentax digital camera to compliment my 645. I'm not giving up on film. It's just that I want to see some results for my efforts in an easier way sometimes. I'm totally new at this level of digital gear, but if I'm thinking right, I can get a digital body, such as the K20D or K7 that will accept the 645 lenses...correct? I would appreciate this forums input on this subject.

02-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any Pentax dslr can be used with 645 lenses if you have the adapter (check Pentax Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database ), but in all honesty, you'll probably get better results with modern k-mount lenses. Get a k-5 and see the magic happen, IMO!
02-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
Forum Member

How many RZ lenses do you have? And how many P645 lenses? For me it would come down to retaining the film system that offered the most flexibility - which the RZ has an upside in that its 6x7 vs. 6x4.5. The downside of course is portability.
02-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoltMan Quote
How many RZ lenses do you have? And how many P645 lenses? For me it would come down to retaining the film system that offered the most flexibility - which the RZ has an upside in that its 6x7 vs. 6x4.5. The downside of course is portability.
I do enjoy the portability of the P645. I started out with an RB then went to my current RZ. Then, not too long ago, I ran across and purchased the 645 and have found myself really liking it. Yes, smaller negative. But I find myself grabbing it more often when I'm heading out for some casual shooting.

02-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Forum Member

Sounds like its time to ditch the RZ then and get started in digital!

QuoteOriginally posted by topaz Quote
But I find myself grabbing it more often when I'm heading out for some casual shooting.
02-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sounds like its time to ditch the RZ then and get started in digital!
I know. It just seems like all I'm doing anymore is producing and collecting negatives. I don't have a scanner and I'm not getting too much printed these days. At least with digital as a second camera I could see the results of my efforts on the computer screen, regardless of printing. And still retain the P645 for the pleasures of film.
02-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What about getting a scanner. For $150 I got a Epson V500 and it's easy to use and does a great job scanning MF negs. It's much cheaper than a digital plus the 645-K mount adapter, and you can get your results from your film on your computer fairly quickly once you get your film back from processing.

02-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I do enjoy the portability of the P645. I started out with an RB then went to my current RZ. Then, not too long ago, I ran across and purchased the 645 and have found myself really liking it. Yes, smaller negative. But I find myself grabbing it more often when I'm heading out for some casual shooting.
If you choose the 645 for casual shooting because of it's size and speed, then you'll probably grab the digital for the same reasons. I'd keep the RZ for the huge negative, and replace the 645 with a digital. Then I'd pick up a cheap scanner for the RZ for web postings. Nothing beats a big slide on a light table IMO... except maybe a great print.
02-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
If you choose the 645 for casual shooting because of it's size and speed, then you'll probably grab the digital for the same reasons. I'd keep the RZ for the huge negative, and replace the 645 with a digital. Then I'd pick up a cheap scanner for the RZ for web postings. Nothing beats a big slide on a light table IMO... except maybe a great print.

No no no I would keep the 645 for casual and travel shooting, the RZ for tripod work and just forget entirely about digital. Get a scanner...

Cheers,

Luc
02-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
No no no I would keep the 645 for casual and travel shooting, the RZ for tripod work and just forget entirely about digital. Get a scanner...

Cheers,

Luc
I'd personally stay film only too, but between a K-5, 645, and RZ, the 645 would go.
02-08-2011, 11:53 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
Sell the RZ, keep the 645 for your film work and buy a 645D for digital......you'll have the best of both worlds and just need one set of lenses!

With a 645D, you won't be tempted to upgrade to the latest and greatest 35mm DSLR every year, because none of them will top your 645D anyways.

I only wish I was that rational and logical with my own camera purchases.

Gary
02-09-2011, 07:02 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote

Cheers,

Luc

Thats what I've been doing...But as I said in an earlier post, I seem to be producing negatives only and not able to easily get some prints from it. And, to be honest, money is an issue right now. Just trying to hang on to my love for photography and adjust it to see some results more often other than a negative on a light box.
02-09-2011, 07:07 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bensonga Quote
Sell the RZ, keep the 645 for your film work and buy a 645D for digital......you'll have the best of both worlds and just need one set of lenses!

With a 645D, you won't be tempted to upgrade to the latest and greatest 35mm DSLR every year, because none of them will top your 645D anyways.

I only wish I was that rational and logical with my own camera purchases.

Gary
Great idea. And I'd love to do something like that. Unfortunately I have a couple of thousand ($$) reasons for not being able to do it.
02-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #14
Forum Member

Topaz - as background I have 3 RZIId bodies and every lens ever released + all the accessories. I love that system for what it delivers me indoors and *occasionally* out of doors.

However if I were in a position of no digital SLR and 1 645 and 1 RZ I'd still dump the RZ in a heartbeat to get into a digital platform (no matter if it was entry level) and retain the 645 for film. Unless you're reliant on the RZ for a living (highly doubt it as film costs would be a killer) its really a no brainer.Moving to digital in so many ways improves your photography and preserves your memories, while time and opportunities are irreplaceable. Spring is coming I might add...

Great idea. And I'd love to do something like that. Unfortunately I have a couple of thousand ($$) reasons for not being able to do it.
02-09-2011, 07:59 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Topaz - as background I have 3 RZIId bodies and every lens ever released + all the accessories. I love that system for what it delivers me indoors and *occasionally* out of doors.

However if I were in a position of no digital SLR and 1 645 and 1 RZ I'd still dump the RZ in a heartbeat to get into a digital platform (no matter if it was entry level) and retain the 645 for film. Unless you're reliant on the RZ for a living (highly doubt it as film costs would be a killer) its really a no brainer.Moving to digital in so many ways improves your photography and preserves your memories, while time and opportunities are irreplaceable. Spring is coming I might add...
That was my original thinking too. But this year I've had to trim my cameras down a lot to the point I'm at right now. Two cameras. Two lenses. And a few backs. It's hard for me to part with either one of these. And, I know it's silly, but I'm actually a stubborn fan of digital. I was that way with computers back in the day too. I held out forever before I bought one. I even avoided cell phones like the plague at first. But, the writings on the wall...Because of the difficulty doing film, I have to go digital...at least part way. Most film cameras are replaceble anyway, so at some later point maybe I can be somewhere that I can set up a B&W darkroom for my film interests.