Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i will say that in romew the main palce i used the 645 was the forum, and on a couple of night expiditins. otherwise it was the digital with 2 lenses

most recently in paris and london the 645 was at home
i had a rangefinder with a 35 mm (fed 5 Jupiter 12) always and the pentax with a 28/50/200( and a sigma 24-70 that only came out once)
didn't miss the 645 once

02-13-2011, 04:24 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
i will say that in romew the main palce i used the 645 was the forum, and on a couple of night expiditins. otherwise it was the digital with 2 lenses

most recently in paris and london the 645 was at home
i had a rangefinder with a 35 mm (fed 5 Jupiter 12) always and the pentax with a 28/50/200( and a sigma 24-70 that only came out once)
didn't miss the 645 once

I am the other way around My next trip I am considering taking only the 645 and maybe a Canonet as a backup or the two Fuji and a backup.

I am afraid that my 35mm days are getting close to an end.

Cheers,

Luc

Last edited by lbenac; 02-13-2011 at 04:34 PM.
02-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
I am the other way around My next trip I am considering taking only the 645 and maybe a Canonet as a backup or the two Fuji and a backup.

I am afraid that my 35mm days are getting close to an end.

Cheers,

Luc
would tend to agree, if the fuji x100 is as good as it looks my rangefinders may just be tools for reminiscence (once i can afford one of course)
02-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all of your responses, it would seem quite unanimous that I plan to take too much!

Jason,

It does not sound reasonable. I travelled with a P645, back, 3 lenses, film,.. that contains into a smallish backpack that I could take with me in the plane no problem. I had a LX with one lens on its Eveready case around my neck/shoulder. The tripod and head went into my suitcase. In theory you should be able to take a tripod of less than 30" in cabin. Did I want to try this? No way I would risk to have a lout from the project that was dropped in a security uniform tell me that it is not possible to take it with me (in the middle of the buzz of Heathrow Airport). I would be tempted to bash his head with it to prove him right.
With all this gear you might have a hard time getting it into the cabin and you might have to carry it in something not very convenient for normal use. You will then need to leave some of your stuff in your hotel room for the day, depending the hotel it might not be wise. Likewise when you are carrying the gear, do you want to be in the middle of a crowd in a shady neighborhood with three packs of gear and your wallet and your passport and your wife to care about?

If I may suggest the following.
1) backpack
67 plus two lenses
Your long digital lens
B&W Film...
(you might want to consider the Lowepro backpack that open from the back of the pack)
2) K5 with DA15 in an Eveready case slung over your shoulder under your jacket
3) Tripod in your suitcase plus a tripod bag (Domke is great)

When your are traveling you need some convenience otherwise you won't even feel like taking a shot.

Cheers,

Luc
Thanks, Luc.
I see your point about the convenience. Once I am there, I was planning to take just what I need each day, in a smaller bag. I'm mostly not staying in hotels, but I think with some precautions security should be OK.
I appreciate your suggestion, it's quite reasonable and covers the core of what I would like to take photos of anyway.
Regarding the tripod, last time I travelled I managed to fit the tripod in my suitcase. Definately a good idea. I dislike the thought of dealing with louts in security uniform just as much as you, so I guess it's always wise to not give them any opportunities

QuoteOriginally posted by shrinba Quote
Another thing you want to keep in mind is you don't want your un-processed film going through the X-ray scanners. You film will get fogged. It's always a hassle with security at the airports. So you might want to process your film before you carry them.

I would just go with the 67 and couple of lenses as someone suggested, or just go with the digital and a few lenses.
Yes it can be a hassle with film, can't it? The one time I have travelled with film so far, I was worried about it being fogged, but thankfully it was OK. Even when developing to 1600 (Tri-X). I carried in hand luggage in a clear ziplock bag as suggested. The one time I asked for a hand inspection, the security guy responded with "just put it through the machine"...

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I'd say you're over-planning and the 135 should be left behind if you want to shoot that 6x7. Get it all to fit one backpack that is manageable.
Fair point, I plan to do a "trial pack" into my large photo backpack in the next few days. Will see how I go. My initial plan was to leave the 67 behind because of the bulk - but now I guess I am thinking that it will be worth the effort. As long as I don't go overboard I suppose.

QuoteOriginally posted by phonoline Quote
I can only second that. When I was in Rome last year for a photo shoot with a cabdriver, I had way too much with me, almost the exact amount of gear you think of taking with you, Jason. Only that I use Nikon 35mm cameras, not Pentax.

Walking around in Rome with all that gear was exhausting, I definetely can't recommend it. Among other things I should have left the Nikon F100 at home, the monopod and a couple of lenses that I did not need. I missed my tripod, though. The 67 is best with the 45 or 55 lens, the 100 or 105 and maybe something inbetween. Not sure about tele lenses - I rarely use them on my 67. With the zoom 55-100 you are on the safe side and carry just one lens.

You do your back a huge favor if you get yourself a great bag and some accessories that makes it easier and more comfortable to carry around the 67 and your K5 at once. I use Lowepro and sunsniper but there are sure other good systems out there.

Where are you travelling to?
Thanks for your advice and I appreciate you sharing your experience in Rome.
I have what I consider to be a good bag, it's a large crumpler one that I can't remember the name of right now. It has a large amount of padding (for the lenses + for my back) and has a decent hiking pack style harness. I have carried up to 10kg in it before and it is heavy but OK. However if I was in a European city it would probably be way too big.

I'm going to New Zealand and will be mostly in the country and smaller towns, hiring my own transport.

02-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another question, which may have too many variables to answer - how much film would you take on a trip lasting about 14 days?

Last time I went I took about 10 rolls of 135x36. However this time it will be 120 and I will be dedicating a lot more time on it.
In my limited experience it would seem that film introduces it's own bulk and hassle when you put a lot of rolls together, however this time I may have the opportunity to send a box of film to my close friend's office and pick it up when I am there. Obviouslly there is some risk involved, mainly in the post...

Thanks,
Jason
02-14-2011, 06:19 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

last time i went with medium format i took a mix of films Color neg and slide and b/w and infrared (i have 3 backs for my 645) and assorted filters
If I'm not mistaken I took about 50-60 rolls. came home with a few unused but since it isn't always easy to Pickup 120 i though better safe than sorry. even if you shoot conservatively count on 30 exposures a day to be safe. I'd count on more than that myself. it doesn't take long to run through 30 exposures. if you are really focused on photography this trip then i would double that number minimum (the Forum in rome could easily eat up 6-10 rolls)
02-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Another question, which may have too many variables to answer - how much film would you take on a trip lasting about 14 days?

Jason
That depends on your shooting habits and things you're shooting. I can go out shooting for a whole day and have a problem shooting up one, 120 roll. A busy day would be two 120 rolls for me of things like landscape, architecture, etc. But on the other hand when I'm taking shots of people, I can burn through a roll pretty fast.
02-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
That depends on your shooting habits and things you're shooting. I can go out shooting for a whole day and have a problem shooting up one, 120 roll. A busy day would be two 120 rolls for me of things like landscape, architecture, etc. But on the other hand when I'm taking shots of people, I can burn through a roll pretty fast.
Yeah, it's really a personal question isn't it? I guess I was just trying to get a feel for what others might do. I was thinking about taking about 2 rolls for each day (maybe 3?), which would leave me with about 30 rolls for the trip. I find that my shooting speed varies a lot, depending of course on the subject and how enthusiastic I am feeling at the time.

I guess if I'm not too loaded up on film I will be more inclined to take my time, rather than take a photo of everything - most likely a good thing.

Thanks for your thoughts Tuco and Eddie.
cheers

02-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Hello Jason,

What I noted on my last trip is that I was not shooting a steady 2 rolls a day but by burst. I could take over one roll (15 exposures) on a same day on a same place that I really liked and nothing more for the rest of the day or several days. But what I have also be doing is using the 35mm to "shoot away" in places were I was staying and could come back later with the 645.
For places that I was not going to come back, I concentrated on a special composition or place and got several shots of in essence the same thing - result is that out of the three or four shots - one was a winner, so my roll of 120 was really only a three to five shots.
You start to get a feel for what you have shot and at some point of the day, you know that you bagged a couple of good shots and as they say "call it a day".
I have found this very satisfying after I came back and started processing.

Cheers,

Luc
02-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You start to get a feel for what you have shot and at some point of the day, you know that you bagged a couple of good shots and as they say "call it a day".
Or the other way around I still remember having a borrowed camera with me on a research trip, when my gear would have been too much to carry around. 1992. The camera was an autofocus Oly. I had never used AF, but had a great shot framed at the cemetery in Barcelona. Then the lens started hunting (focus was not intended on the center of view)... noisy... a man framed turned around and walked away... I never had the shot. But it's still there on my retina.
02-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Or the other way around

Yes that is very true. There are times when I just put the camera back on the bag and just forget altogether about photography because nothing is really coming out .

Cheers,

luc
02-15-2011, 02:04 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hello Jason,

What I noted on my last trip is that I was not shooting a steady 2 rolls a day but by burst. I could take over one roll (15 exposures) on a same day on a same place that I really liked and nothing more for the rest of the day or several days. But what I have also be doing is using the 35mm to "shoot away" in places were I was staying and could come back later with the 645.
For places that I was not going to come back, I concentrated on a special composition or place and got several shots of in essence the same thing - result is that out of the three or four shots - one was a winner, so my roll of 120 was really only a three to five shots.
I have found this very satisfying after I came back and started processing.

Cheers,

Luc
Sounds like a good method, Luc.
I am sure that I will shoot in "bursts" also

Thanks,
Jason